Towing - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #101

Trailer: 2012 15A
Size Up The Savings | BC Ferries - British Columbia Ferry Services Inc.

Link to the savings offered on BC Ferries this summer for any who may be making the voyage.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #102

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
Question Backing up

Hope this is still on topic. But how about backing a 21TA into a barn into a tight place is there a way to do this without a vehicle? I have a tight place in a barn I would like to park the trailer into but need to place the trailer precisely. Can this be done?
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:03 AM   #103

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
But how about backing a 21TA into a barn into a tight place is there a way to do this without a vehicle? I have a tight place in a barn I would like to park the trailer into but need to place the trailer precisely. Can this be done?
Yes, it can be done. I suggest starting with a Google search of EscapeForum for "power dolly".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:26 AM   #104
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Hope this is still on topic. But how about backing a 21TA into a barn into a tight place is there a way to do this without a vehicle? I have a tight place in a barn I would like to park the trailer into but need to place the trailer precisely. Can this be done?
I back my 21 into a narrow spot (12 ft wide) using a rear camera aimed at a target on the back wall of the shop after backing around a 90 degree curved driveway. I use 2 pieces of white PVC pipe around 12 ft long to help me align with the open bay in the shop so it goes in parallel to the side walls of the shop.

Curious if you want to park the rig without a vehicle how you get it out of storage without using a vehicle, though.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #105

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, it can be done. I suggest starting with a Google search of EscapeForum for "power dolly".
You may get something on power dolly but I get anything else. Not sure I have ever searched for anything and found it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #106

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
If you have access to a midsize compact tractor, a three point hitch setup on the back or a quick attach bucket replacing hitch on the front will allow you to wiggle the trailer into tighter spaces than would be possible with your tow vehicle. We had a set of forks on a 40 hp size compact tractor with a hole burned through the end of one of the pallet fork tips. We would attach an inch and 7/8 ball through the hole and Jack some pretty large flatbed trailers into tight spaces for winter storage. The 1 7/8 ball works for everything at storage speeds. Just a thought.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #107

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If you have access to a midsize compact tractor, a three point hitch setup on the back or a quick attach bucket replacing hitch on the front will allow you to wiggle the trailer into tighter spaces than would be possible with your tow vehicle. We had a set of forks on a 40 hp size compact tractor with a hole burned through the end of one of the pallet fork tips. We would attach an inch and 7/8 ball through the hole and Jack some pretty large flatbed trailers into tight spaces for winter storage. The 1 7/8 ball works for everything at storage speeds. Just a thought.
Dave
Yep. Without our little Kubota we wouldn't even be able to turn our trailer around at the top of our uphill 1/4 mile long driveway. I've got the 3 point hitch setup, but may move to one attached to the front bucket - my neck gets sore trying to crank it around like an owl.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #108
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I back my 21 into a narrow spot (12 ft wide) using a rear camera aimed at a target on the back wall of the shop after backing around a 90 degree curved driveway. I use 2 pieces of white PVC pipe around 12 ft long to help me align with the open bay in the shop so it goes in parallel to the side walls of the shop.

Curious if you want to park the rig without a vehicle how you get it out of storage without using a vehicle, though.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Not sure I have ever searched for anything and found it.
I don't use the forum's search tool - that's why I linked a site-specific Google search. Click my link and you get a whole page of relevant topics in this forum, and that's a pretty typical experience using Google to search with well-chosen keywords.

Often people asking questions just need to know that the topic has been discussed before, and what keywords might lead to useful threads.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #110

Quote:
If you have access to a midsize compact tractor, a three point hitch setup on the back or a quick attach bucket replacing hitch on the front will allow you to wiggle the trailer into tighter spaces than would be possible with your tow vehicle.
This is a common solution for RV dealerships, who need to maneuver a lot of trailers in tight spaces. Of course most people don't have a tractor, but if you have a barn...
Old 05-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #111

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you can put a receiver on the front of your tow vehicle you will get better maneuverability....
Old 05-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #112

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Front hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you can put a receiver on the front of your tow vehicle you will get better maneuverability....
You used to see the front hitch on cars and trucks before the proliferation of front and four wheel drive vehicles especially around boat ramps. That bottom few feet can get pretty slippery and has lead to some epic fails.
My New Holland TC 40 D has the oversteer feature so it will turn real short. Separate the brake pedals, depress either one and turn the wheel full right or full left put her in turtle on the low range side and you can just about screw yourself into the soft ground. With a good bucket, you're rarely really stuck.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #113

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
A while back I posed a similar concern in preparation for the arrival of our new 19'. Someone suggested mounting a receiver on our vehicle and that's exactly what I did. When we arrive home from camping, I unhitch from my pickup in our narrow, telephone pole infested alley. I get our other vehicle that has the front mount and push the trailer exactly where I need it. It was a wonderful suggestion and works very well for me.
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #114

Quote:
My New Holland TC 40 D has the oversteer feature so it will turn real short. Separate the brake pedals, depress either one and turn the wheel full right or full left put her in turtle on the low range side and you can just about screw yourself into the soft ground.
Cutting brakes are certainly handy; I had some landscape work done many years ago and the construction tractor (loader) operator did some impressive maneouvering with them. I hope they wouldn't be needed on a paved or gravel surface to position a trailer.

Dave, by "oversteer" do you mean Supersteer™, which pivots the entire front axle in addition to turning the wheels on it? I had never seen this before today, and it is fascinating.

If you really want to turn tightly, you could put a ball on the front of a skid-steer loader (such as a Bobcat). It's amazing what can be done with a skid-steer, if you don't mind some (okay, a massive amount of) tire scrubbing. A rear-steer front-mount mower (without the mower deck) would be really maneouverable, too.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #115

If you put a receiver on the front of the TV, does it matter if the TV is rear-wheel drive (or front)? We are looking at going up a short slope, not terribly steep, and then it flattens out.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #116

Quote:
If you put a receiver on the front of the TV, does it matter if the TV is rear-wheel drive (or front)? We are looking at going up a short slope, not terribly steep, and then it flattens out.
If the vehicle has front wheel drive, adding the hitch weight at the front will improve drive traction; if it is rear wheel drive, adding the hitch weight up there will make drive traction worse. The shorter the vehicle's wheelbase, the more noticeable the effect. Whether or not "worse" means "not good enough" depends on the traction situation to start with.

A 4Runner isn't especially long, but some 4Runners have full-time 4WD systems that drive the front wheels (and the rear) all of the time, so for at least those ones traction should not be a concern; it looks like this may be in the Limited Premium version only. For the others, with part-time 4WD, the 4WD mode can be engaged, but that's not usable for turning on a paved surface.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the vehicle has front wheel drive, adding the hitch weight at the front will improve drive traction; if it is rear wheel drive, adding the hitch weight up there will make drive traction worse. The shorter the vehicle's wheelbase, the more noticeable the effect. Whether or not "worse" means "not good enough" depends on the traction situation to start with.

A 4Runner isn't especially long, but some 4Runners have full-time 4WD systems that drive the front wheels (and the rear) all of the time, so for at least those ones traction should not be a concern; it looks like this may be in the Limited Premium version only. For the others, with part-time 4WD, the 4WD mode can be engaged, but that's not usable for turning on a paved surface.
Ours is a 2011 rear-wheel. So sounds as if it is a bad idea to have a front hitch. Our 4WD is manually engaged when we want. Thank you.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #118

Quote:
Ours is a 2011 rear-wheel. So sounds as if it is a bad idea to have a front hitch. Our 4WD is manually engaged when we want. Thank you.
Well, it might not have enough traction... but it might be fine. Depends on your surface. Also, even though the part-time 4WD isn't suitable while turning on a good surface, it can still be engaged for straight-line runs to get the trailer moving, if RWD is not enough.