Towing - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
So.... the ferry from the Canadian mainland to Vancouver Island isn't roll-on roll-off (i.e. drive-thru) like the Washington state ferries? Hmm....
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
Our decision to take our new 21 on the Alaska Marine Highway is now seeming not so well planned. Well, we will either learn how or our new 21 won't be so new at the end of a week!
Having used the Alaska ferries I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I guess I was expecting the more common drive in one end, exit straight ahead from the opposite end situation. And some are. It's all part of the travel experience and, hey, it makes for a good story later.

Yup Myron, our ferry fares are grim. But we gotta pay for things like the former million dollar a year salary for the x-CEO in New York with his outrageous pension for a few years service. Washington State ferries are such a bargain by comparison.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
So.... the ferry from the Canadian mainland to Vancouver Island isn't roll-on roll-off (i.e. drive-thru) like the Washington state ferries? Hmm....
They are roll on and off.
The ferry fare is the scary part.
Last time I took the ferry to Nanaimo it cost me $170 each way. That's vehicle and trailer ( 34 feet total ) and driver and passenger.
But, the clam chowder is really good.

I believe Ron was describing Alaska State Ferry.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #84

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
The BC ferries going between the mainland and Vancouver Island are all drive-thru. The ferry that goes between Victoria (Vancouver Island) and Port Angeles (Washington State) is a different company, Black Ball Ferry and you may have to back or maneuver.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #85

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Roll-on/roll-off just means that you drive on and off, and any ferry any of us would use (including all BC Ferries vessels) are this type. Driving straight through (no turning or backing) means ramps on both ends, and most ferries that I've seen (including in B.C.) have this feature. One shown by Ron above appears to has ramps on the sides (rather than the ends), so only some vehicles go straight through - hopefully all the ones with trailers, but apparently not in this case.

B.C. has a substantial ferry fleet, with various designs, but most (perhaps all) have you drive straight through. If you look at the fleet description online, the ramps on each end are apparent in the silhouettes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P;
shown by Ron above[/URL
appears to has ramps on the sides (rather than the ends), so only some vehicles go straight through - hopefully all the ones with trailers, but apparently not in this case.
Yup, that was the Alaska State Ferry that goes from Haines, AK to Prince Rupert, BC

Getting off was horrid, but the scenery, priceless.

Ron
Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #87

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Good to remember that it's not like riding a bike. Need to practice.
Yes practice is necessary!

And for some of us whose brains are not naturally inclined towards spacial intelligence (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spat...ce_(psychology) such as my poor brain need lots and lots and lots of practice.

Our brains work different ways. This whole trailering thing puts me into a way of doing and moving that is not an area where I am naturally gifted. This old grumpy dog is proving the saying wrong - I can learn new tricks. Unfortunately, I often have to take the same lesson and keep relearning the same trick.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Last time I took the ferry to Nanaimo it cost me $170 each way. That's vehicle and trailer ( 34 feet total ) and driver and passenger.

That's not scary - try taking just a RAV4 to Nantucket Island, MA. $487.00 round trip for the vehicle & driver. Add a bike to the front or rear & it goes up by $75.00! It is drive on drive off...
Old 05-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Nantucket is too popular and they don't want anyone bringing cars or even bikes. We walked off. BC can be bad also as people here attest.

While traveling through Canada, however, we took ferries with the Escape and they were free. The ferries are considered an extension of the highway system in the middle of the country, so no charge. That was nice. I can hardly believe those other prices.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Summer of 2007. I think I paid about $3000 to ferry from Skagway to Bellingham with stops in Juneau, Ketchican and Sitka including a stateroom for the overnight legs.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #91

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Since we are getting on the ferry in Prince Rupert, off for 2 days in Ketchikan, on again to St Petersburg, off for 2 nights, on again to Juneau, off for 2 nights and on again to our destination in Haines, we will have plenty of practice, and a few more gray hairs! Should either learn much, or be ready for divorce court.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #92

I recommend viewing this video on hand signals for backing your RV.
It's about 12 minutes total, but the information is good and clearly delivered.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #93

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We use hand signals similar to what Glenn posted, works very well for us. Others use their cell phones or walkie talkies. Any of these can save a marriage.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #94

Had to tell my buddy to stop flailing his arms and trying to turn the steering wheel for me - just indicate direction.
Have to tell my wife not to stand behind the trailer and not to be distracted by birds, clouds or by chatting with other campers.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
Since we are getting on the ferry in Prince Rupert, off for 2 days in Ketchikan, on again to St Petersburg, off for 2 nights, on again to Juneau, off for 2 nights and on again to our destination in Haines, we will have plenty of practice, and a few more gray hairs! Should either learn much, or be ready for divorce court.
That's the spirit It might be costly and the ferry might be a little tricky in some places but it's a way to do something that you don't want to miss. Have a great trip.

Ron
Old 05-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We use hand signals similar to what Glenn posted, works very well for us. Others use their cell phones or walkie talkies. Any of these can save a marriage.
We had years of anchoring and backing into the quay in crowded harbors in the Med. It's a spectator sport there, with all the charterers especially providing daily entertainment for the dock side restaurants.

My wife and I developed a system that sometimes confused onlookers hoping for entertainment. She had to let go of the anchor as I went astern. Then she had to set the anchor by locking the winch without totally stopping the boat and leaving it at the mercy of the elements. Then she had to lock the winch at just the right spot before we hit the quay but close enough that I could step off.

We developed movements with head movement and eyes that were imperceptible to onlookers. After a while it became almost a game for us how imperceptible we could make our communications. :

Now, if we could only do that for the trailer.

Ron
Old 05-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #97

Another trick for downtown.
I was parallel parked with a guy sitting in his car behind me.
To leave the spot I was backing up without apparently paying attention to where his front bumper was.
He pounded on his horn.
But, you see, I was looking at the plate glass window of the business we were parked in front of. I could see the reflection of his front bumper and my rear bumper. Could have backed up to within a half inch if I chose to.
Now, there are backup cameras.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #98

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Speaking of ferries... If anyone gets a chance you can take a set of ferries from Campobello to Deer Island NB, drive to the other side of the island and take another to Letet NB on the mainland. You pass through customs driving from ME to Campobello, as it's only an island there are no lines.

Ferry was kind of different, you park on the road at the town beach, it just pulls up to the beach and drops the ramp. Nice scenic island route that we don't have many of on the east coast.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #99

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Another trick for downtown.
I was parallel parked with a guy sitting in his car behind me.
To leave the spot I was backing up without apparently paying attention to where his front bumper was.
He pounded on his horn.
But, you see, I was looking at the plate glass window of the business we were parked in front of. I could see the reflection of his front bumper and my rear bumper. Could have backed up to within a half inch if I chose to.
Now, there are backup cameras.
Sonar is common at the back now and it will sound within 3 feet or so. People behind have been worried no doubt.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #100

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:

Regarding the cost-- when I was out that way last year I looked at the B.C. ferry fares and it looked like they had a special for RVs that was cheaper than taking the Washington State Ferries' Anacourtes - Sidney, B.C. ferry. But it was only at certain times and may have had other restrictions. I'd like to take my trailer to Vancouver Island some day and was considering that as an option.

Yeah, I could look it up again but it will change before I need it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote