Towing a 17B? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #1

Towing a 17B?

We are thinking of moving up from a tent trailer to a travel trailer (TT) in the next year or two and are in the process of buying a tow vehicle. We are looking at a 2012 Ford Escape FWD, 3.0L V6 w towing packing (Class II hitch-ball mount and transmission cooling) option. Towing capacity is 3500 lb. The 15 and 17ft Escape dry weights are 1750 and 2100 lb. Even with 1,000 lbs cargo, it would seem that the Ford Escape should be able to pull either trailer. However, when I look at the combined weight of a Ford Escape and 17B the numbers don't seem to add up.

Numbers for Ford Escape
Base curb weight = 3300
Gross vehicle weight (GVW) = 3300 to 4300
Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) = 4300
Numbers for Escape 17B
GVW = 2100
GVWR (or MLTW) = 3500
Combined weight calculations:
Gross combination weight (GCW) MIN = 3300+2100=5400
Gross combination weight (GCW) MAX = 4300+3500=7800
Gross combination weight rating (GCWR) for Ford Escape = 5000
So GCW both MIN and MAX are > GCWR for a Ford Escape = 5000.

So does this mean that a Ford Escape would NOT be considered an adequate towing vehicle for the 17B. I have heard that many people are pulling a 15 and 17 ft Escape with the Ford Escape. What specifically would the problems be if people were doing this? If not adequate, then presumably that means that all SUVs with towing capacity of 3500 would not be adequate?

If it is adequate, what type of a hitch would you recommend to pull the 17B with a Ford Escape?
I've been doing a lot of reading and people talk a lot about:
- putting a Class III hitch on a Ford Escape, but then others suggest that this could affect the warranty?
- weight distributing hitch or load equalizing hitch (or are they the same thing?)
- electric trailer brakes - brake controller
- friction sway device - sway control
- etc., etc.

But the Ford towing package seems to come with a ball mount and safety chains and that's about it.

Some people seem to go overboard (although better safe than sorry) and others seem to just want to do the minimum. It's a bit(?) difficult to figure out what's reasonable and safe. Any info you could provide to help understand would really be appreciated.
Eric
Eric D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Towing a 17B?

I'm hopeless at numbers, but.

You need a class III hitch for WDH and I highly recommend a WDH especially for what is essentially a front-wheel-drive vehicle.

It's worth noting that the RAV4 'factory hitch' is also a class II, but that you can buy an after-market class III for the RAV4 and it's cheaper than the factory hitch. I paid $650 for my Hidden Hitch, wiring harness and brake controller installation. The Toyota class II hitch alone cost almost $1,000. And, my 'after market' Hidden Hitch was installed at the Toyota dealership prior to delivery. So, you might want to speak to your dealer about the class III hitch.

Hidden Hitch rates their hitch for RAV4 at 4,000 lbs.

baglo
Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Also, the 2008 RAV4 manual says it "does not recommend a weight distribution hitch". Doesn't say why or anything about the warranty so I ignored it, especially since the hitch was installed at the dealership.

You will need a brake controller and the wiring harness to accommodate it. Many have bought the Prodigy.

I would also spec the size of the disc brakes on your selected tow. Even though the trailer has electric brakes, I want the largest disc brakes I can get.

And, you have to consider what you use the vehicle for when you're not towing.

baglo
Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #4

Hi, Eric D!

I think you have answered your own question with your numbers. It looks as if you would need something else. One of the big factors is the curb weight. Do you expect to load your trailer to nearly that? As someone said to me, "You need a lot of weight in front of that trailer!" In other words, your vehicle curb weight would hopefully be a good bit heavier than the expected load. Some people recommend that you not tow over 80% of the vehicle's capacity. Others would not even tow that.
Since you do not have a vehicle yet, you might want to consider a few. Of course, I don't know what the numbers are for the 15B. You are exactly right to look at those numbers.

Cathy
Old 01-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Hello

We have a 17B and we tow it with a 2006 4x4 3.0 motor Escape.(automatic)... I have the book in front of me and it states that the GCWR is 7,240 lbs or 3284 kg...Trailer weight is listed as 3,500 lbs (1588 kg) we do always use a WDH...

We have the class 3 hitch installed under the factory installed class 2 hitch...--good spot for the breakaway switch wire to be hooked onto...

I know ours is well within the limits as we have weighed it a few times..Haven't weighed it yet with the front storage box but I know we had plenty of room (and believe me--our trailer is well stocked)
We did originally buy a 3.0 ford ranger4x2 thinking it would do the job. (as the salesperson assured us it would) NOT---we took it to the dump one day and weighed it--realized it would not do the job--so we returned it and got the Escape..

We have been in some failry high mountain passes and we gear down a bit when climbing and also when going down an incline--but with the electric brakes...everything works really really well...

(we are just 2 adults in the vehicle when pulling the trailer)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I ran my own set of numbers and was surprised how they came out. Based on the rated tow capacity of 3,500 lbs and a combined rate of vehicle, trailer, occupants and contents of trailer and car you are limited to 7,300 lbs. If we want to stay safe we can take 80% of the combined weight, that would be 5,840. A curb weight of 3,549 plus the trailer at 2,100 empty totals 5,649 lbs. That means you can carry 191 lbs of passengers, fuel, propane and food, if you want the 20% safety margin. Are you willing to go with a 10% safety margin, then you can carry 921 lbs.

I think not. Looking at the real world weights of Escape 17B they run from 2,660 to 3,000. Using an average of 2,850 you would be down to 171 lbs in the vehicle with a 10% safety margin.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #7

Anybody care to run the numbers on a RAV4 and 17B. I'm numerically challenged.

I especially curious since the combo seems pretty much perfect and has been the choice of so many.

baglo
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #8

I "thought" the 20% was already factored in with the manufacturers GCWR.....anyway, ours tows very well,stops well and seems to be a good fit for us..
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #9

I do not think the manufacturer pads the numbers with any safety margin. They using are their best judgement based on who knows what. I am sure there are people exceeding the limits every day, many unknowingly.

Remember, these numbers are using figures from a 2012 Escape vehicle, 4 wheel drive with the tow package. Look up your vehicle's rating. You need the year and exact model and if you have the factory installed tow package. You are looking for two numbers: curb weight and the GCWR gross combined weight rate. You need to be careful that you find the numbers for your exact vehicle, not a model that is close. Usually you can Google: 2012 Escape 4WD V6 specifications and find it, you may need to look at several links to find details.

If you want real world trailer weights, the best are over at fiberglassRV.com, I dislike their search engine and use Google instead. Try your search in Google like this: "fiberglassrv.com:real world weights" no quotes. There is an excellent table on page 1 courtesy of Frederick Simson.

Once you have the numbers it is pretty easy:

GCWR minus Curb Weight minus Real World Trailer Weight equals What You Can Put In The Car (people included).

Anna Marie I come up with 240 lbs that you can put into your car and remain under the maximum for the vehicle without any safety margin. Now, I think your 3500 lbs for the trailer is high, unless you bring everything, a figure 3,000 is closer to other weights that have been posted.

I ran the calculations on my combination and was surprised at the results:

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 Tow Package
GCWR = 10,510 8,408 at 80%
Curb weight = 4,410
Escape 19
Scale Weight = 3,480
Vehicle Contents Limit = 518 lbs

There are three of us travelling and with bikes plus fuel we are at 794 lbs. We are cutting into that 20% safety margin. One reason why I try to travel with empty or near empty trailer tanks.

There certainly are other factors to consider, too numerous to mention but a WDH can? make a difference. roof mounted items, and of course many other safety items such as tongue weight, weight distribution, tires, and probably the most important factor - SPEED. My opinion is driving the rigs we tow at or over speed limits is asking for trouble. Here, we have two vehicles in combination at the limits of safety and we test the gods by driving over 65 mph.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

There is no need to use an 80% load safety factor. While it is nice to have, it is not necessary. as the ratings the manufactures give are good to go by. They would not take a chance otherwise. Performance begins to diminish long before safety does.

Loads with my 2009 Honda Pilot.

GCWR = 9,572 lb
Less Curb Weight of 4,499 = 5,073 lb
Less guesstimated (at the high end fully loaded) weight of my Escape 19 of 3,500 = 1,573 lb
The Max Paylod Capacity is = 1,592 lb

I would guess even fully loaded up we are under 1,000 lb of load, though I would think one should likely include the hitch weight in the payload weight.

I have not weighed my trailer, but I know we carry no where near what many do. Plus, the weight we put in the car itself is probably closer to 600-700 lbs with fuel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #11

Jim

You are probably correct that applying a safety margin of 80% is a bit over the top. At the same time I know that there are readers who will feel it is important to have some leeway. Different strokes for different folks.

I like your calculations, they make sense to me. Hey, like anything these are guidelines, but they do add a numerical qualifier to the capacities of a tow vehicle and trailer combination. I think the most important thing is, it causes us to look at the combination of tow and trailer. So often, we latch on to the tongue weight and towing capacity and fail to recognize that the 100 lb generator, kayak and extras we stuff in the back of the tow need to be a part of the calculation.

Calculations like these puts some of those real life observations into perspective. There is a danger in accepting anecdotal observations such as: "we have been towing our 13 footer for years with a reconditioned 1975 Trabant, over mountains and everything, we never had a speck of trouble." Anecdotal evidence is useful but not always trustworthy.

Attached Images

Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

Paul, no doubt you are quite right about people loading up their vehicles. I am willing to bet that very few have any idea as to their vehicle's cargo capacity. It may often be under 1,000 lbs. Put some people and equipment and bags and beer and gas in there, not to mention a boat, I would not be surprised if the limit is frequently exceeded. Add that to a loaded trailer and the GCWR may often go out the window. The worst accident I ever saw was an overturned travel trailer and pick-up. So I will already want to watch out even if loaded "lightly" with only a few thousand pounds.

Jim, some of us have never towed and we have to be very, very careful. We all do not have your vast towing experience. Of course, people naturally take into account their experience or lack thereof when looking at all of this. Some have towed much lighter boats but not travel trailers, or maybe a much smaller trailer. "Can't be too careful." Who said that?

Cathy
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

When I said trailer was 3,500 lbs--I meant what it said in my ford manual! Ours is no where near that!!

I remember when we first got it we did the weights at a couple different scales and I had it all accounted for....on the car--off the car etc etc---but I can't find the papers--(I must have actually thrown something out!!!)
Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Paul, I too think somewhat of a margin is a good thing. Much better than going over, which is unsafe. Some go way too far though with this margin, and end up with a vehicle that does not serve them well for all its other uses. I do have a big 3/4 ton diesel F250 that pulls my 19 like it is not even there, but it is a pig to drive, and not as good on fuel. I have actually only used it twice, and that is because the truck was needed to haul a bunch of weight itself.

Cathy, relative newbies to towing definitely have to take care, but so do those with lots of experience. Complacency is not good either. The point I was trying to make, was that performance is the real issue as you approach the vehicles maximum ratings. Less weight is only marginally safer, driver performance is the real key. By taking good care, and paying good attention, one can safely tow, even with marginal experience. Heck, you have to learn some time. I think it would be a mistake to assume that because you are well under the weight rating of your vehicle, that you would be safer to much of a degree.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #15

I got out the manual for my 2008 RAV4 Sport V6.

Checked the index and closest I could find to "curb weight" was "cup holders". Under 'G' for GCWR I found "Grocery Bag Hooks".

Under Specifications I found: Trailer and cargo 3500 lbs.
Under Vehicle I found: Occupants and luggage 825 lbs.
Through some miracle, if you have the third seat option 825 rises to 1155 lbs.

So, I'm no closer to figuring out my safety margin.

baglo
Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #16

I'm trying to interpret the numbers in the owners manual to justify my choice of the RAV4.

So: it says Trailer and cargo 3,500 lbs. and the Escape 17 is 2,100, leaving 1,400 for cargo.

And: it says for vehicle: occupants and luggage 825 lbs. So, two people is 310 lbs. leaving 515 lbs for cargo.

It would appear from those numbers that I'm well within my limits.

Or am I mis-reading the numbers?

baglo

Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

I think you will find that the 3500 lbs includes the cargo in the vehicle and the trailer. Most tow ratings allow only for the driver in the vehicle and they usually only allow for a 150 lb driver. So in other words if you have 400 lbs of cargo in the RAV and the driver then your tow limit is now 3100 lbs because you have to subtract the vehicle cargo from the towing limit.

The 825 lbs is the maximum amount of cargo you can carry in the RAV, trailer or no trailer but any amount of cargo in the RAV must be subtracted from your tow limit if you are towing.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #18

Okay, Jim, you put it on me, the driver. Ha! Yes, I thoroughly agree that the driver is the key.

I start from the premise that towing a trailer is an incredibly unsafe thing to do and I go from there. My aim is to make the unsafe into the less unsafe.
To that end, I expect to:

Use a scale to balance the load properly,
stay off of the Interstates most or all of the time, as I don't even want to be on them with no trailer,
tow slowly,
keep the weights a good bit below capacities,
use tire sensors to have proper inflation,
have a weight distributing hitch,
and anything else I can do to offset the riskiness of the whole set-up.
May use cameras, too.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Sometimes I think I am crazy to even consider towing 38,000 lbs. Or whatever.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #19

Make that 3,800!
No wonder it seems so daunting.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #20

The 825 lbs is the maximum amount of cargo you can carry in the RAV, trailer or no trailer but any amount of cargo in the RAV must be subtracted from your tow limit if you are towing.

Barry
[/quote]

Thanks. I needed that.
So, I think I am comfortably within the limits. I removed the cast iron pans and replaced them with aluminum. The kid has the television. I've made an effort to remove stuff that I don't really need. I'll renew that effort before the next trip.

baglo