Towing a 19' with my Dodge minivan? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #21

Re: Towing a 19' with my Dodge minivan?

All good points Cathy!
And I'm definitely doing my research prior to buying any trailer.

Just a point to make in terms of the weight inside the van affecting the tow rating.
All of the info I've found states that the 3600lb figure INCLUDES 2 passengers + their luggage. Each passenger = 150lbs + 50lbs of luggage. That's what Chrysler seems to consider the average traveler's weight.
My two boys don't weigh much, and neither do their clothes so in reality I'd probably be considered to have 3 passengers by Chrysler's rationale. The tow rating will likely be reasoned to be about 3450lbs.
The Adam Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

I will preface by saying that this is just my opinion. I would not feel comfortable towing a trailer that is anymore than 60-70% of the tow vehicles max. but there lots of people who go right to the limits and beyond and seem to get away with it. Its just not worth it to me. there is the added strain on the vehicle, there is the safety aspect in regards to braking as well as handling. Most people seem to fixate on the power and ability to get going, not me i worry about stopping it when it all goes wrong. yes i know the trailer has brakes But when in a panic stop you simply can't have too much brakes and often in that situation the trailer brakes can just lock up which doesn't help anything then.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Adam, the towing capacity has nothing to do with the weight of the passengers, it is simply how much maximum weight the vehicle can tow.

For starters, you cannot exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) The Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the total of the weight allowed including its own weight, fuel, passengers, trailer hitch weight, and cargo in it.

As well as the Towing Capacity of 2600 pounds, you need to know the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). This is the total of everything in the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight), plus the trailer weight fully loaded.

With any vehicle so close to the various rated weight limits, it is really easy to exceed just one of these limits. So long as none of these individual limits is surpassed, you are allowed to tow. I do like a bit of a room for error in there, but would be comfortable up to 90% capacity on moderate terrain.

Things like having trailer brakes set up enough is another thing to consider, as many back them off too far because they don't like the feel of them grabbing (working).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adam Blaster

One other spec I found was that you're not supposed to tow anything with a frontal area greater than 32 square feet.
For me this would be the deciding factor; I would imagine that the 19' has a frontal area of around 49 square feet going by the specs. sheet on the Escape web site. Wind resistance makes a lot of difference in your ability to tow a certain load.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Barry has a good point, wind resistance is a HUGE performance factor. When we went out to the Escape Rally this year, from Calgary to Banff was a wicked wind. Not thinking straight at first I wondered why I could not get up to speed quickly, thinking maybe something was wrong with the car, then realized it was the wind. I burned almost half a tank of gas in one hour. Once I hit the mountains, even with all the climbs, my performance and mileage improved greatly.

Adam, sorry if it seems we are ganging up on you and raining on your parade, but at least my opinion is that there is no way I would go with your present van as a tow for the 19.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #26

I fully agree with the above statement about wind resistance, it is a big factor. also a side wind can be a big deal as well, any one whoe has towed up highway 2 from Calgary to Edmonton knows what i am talking about, there is always a strong side wind on this road and if the trailer is too big for the tow vehicle it is a horible drive.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

There is a fellow on the FibreglassRV forum who has taken scales to various get togethers and has weighed many trailers at their true weight, fully loaded for use. Here are a few weights of the 19 footer
axle tongue total
19Escape_____Dual Axle____3305_____450_____3755
19Escape_____Dual Axle____3440_____360_____3800
19Escape_____Dual Axle____3740_____240_____3980

And the 17 footer

17Escape_____Plan B_______2340_____320_____2660
17Escape_____Plan B_______2500_____340_____2840
17Escape_____Plan B_______2560_____320_____2880

This 17 foot had a full water tank
17Escape_____Plan B_______2500_____500_____3000

Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose
There is a fellow on the FibreglassRV forum who has taken scales to various get togethers and has weighed many trailers at their true weight, fully loaded for use. Here are a few weights of the 19 footer
axle tongue total
19Escape_____Dual Axle____3305_____450_____3755
19Escape_____Dual Axle____3440_____360_____3800
19Escape_____Dual Axle____3740_____240_____3980

And the 17 footer

17Escape_____Plan B_______2340_____320_____2660
17Escape_____Plan B_______2500_____340_____2840
17Escape_____Plan B_______2560_____320_____2880

This 17 foot had a full water tank
17Escape_____Plan B_______2500_____500_____3000

I actually saw that guy's web page from a link posted on RV.net.
I looked through his list and he had maybe 15 or so 19's listed. From my quick scan I'd say about 80% were over 3500lbs by at least 200lbs, some were over 4000lbs.
I have been receiving some private messages and emails from a few folks that have towed trailers heavier than 3500lbs with minivans, and some have done it for many years without any incident or problem with their vehicle.
I really wanted to see a definitive reason why I couldn't safely tow the 19' with my van, and that list of most of the 19's being well over my van's limits has pretty much sealed it for me.

I appreciate all the feedback and opinions that have been shared in this thread, now I just need to figure out what to do next...

I've been thinking of abandoning the trailer idea altogether and going with a Class A and just tow the minivan. (Everyone i asked about towing with a Class C said it was not a pleasant experience.)
Or, sell my two Cherokees and get a pickup loaded with comfort options for the family, and a more appropriate tow rating.
Those two options set me back in my timeline quite a bit due to financial restrictions. And selling my two Jeeps would not be my favourite thing to do...

Ah well, back to the drawing board!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #29

Trailer: 17

I wonder why the folks that tow heavier than 3500lbs with minivans PM you instead of posting here in this thread out in the open? Seems strange since driving their rig down the highway is out in the open in public in view.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

What is wrong with the 17' Escape, they have the screen room option also and the front bunk?gaucho. I'm not sure towing a front wheel drive vehicle will work either, I'm assuming the Dodge is front wheel drive. See the next thread here http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=1742.0
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #31

While I am no advocate of delayed gratification, it really seems like the best option is get the trailer you want and tow it with a vehicle suited to the trailer. It means waiting (something I suck at) but it alleviates either danger to your family or premature wear on your vehicle.

Dave
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp
I wonder why the folks that tow heavier than 3500lbs with minivans PM you instead of posting here in this thread out in the open? Seems strange since driving their rig down the highway is out in the open in public in view.
They probably don't want to bother with the accompanying hassle that it would bring.
There's people out there that have said towing ANYTHING with a minivan isn't a good idea, whether it is properly equipped or not. It's difficult to have an informative discussion with a person that holds that type of attitude...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #33

Of all the topics that seem to stir emotion, the personel view on sensible tow vehicle for a trailer seems to be a hot button topic. I guess some common sense is the best. probably if one removes the two ends of the spectrum probably some where in the middle is about right. There will be those who think you should have a minimum of a 1 ton to tow anything and thsoe who think its just fine to tow right up to or even over the maximum tow capacity of a vehicle. Reality is neither example is probably right.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #34

I am new to the Escape forum and since my current TV is a mini-van (2005 Toyota Sienna AWD mini-van, Tow Rating 3500lbs) I had to add my two bits. I am currently towing an 18', approx. 8 ft high, single axle hybrid trailer with a factory listed dry weight of 2467lbs. We are a family of four (1 yr and 5 yr old) and generally travel light. I have been towing this trailer problem free for over seven years. Some of my tow vehicles for this TT have included a 2004 dodge dakota (V6 TR 3200lbs) and 2004 Toyota Tacoma (V6 TR 5000lbs). IMHO the best TV for this trailer has been our Toyota mini-van. It tows this weight very well - I have had to make several emergency stops and avoidance maneavers, and having lived in Lethbridge, handled extremely strong side winds. Acceleration when towing our TT is even pretty impressive and highway speeds are generally not a problem. Admittedly, our TV has some difficulty maintaining highway speeds (100+kph) with strong head winds and steep inclines.

I too was looking at getting a 19' escape but I think as the kids get older (=heavier) and we start piling in the bikes and extra gear it will be too heavy for our poor mini-van. Therefore the 17B is looking pretty good right now.
Camp-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Keep in mind that as the kids get older ( heavier ) they aren't gonna want to sleep in the trailer with you anyway.

They'd much rather be in a tent, but then you'll need room for the tent, cots and bedding.

It's either that or they'll stay home and play video games.

baglo
Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Keep in mind that as the kids get older ( heavier ) they aren't gonna want to sleep in the trailer with you anyway.

They'd much rather be in a tent, but then you'll need room for the tent, cots and bedding.

It's either that or they'll stay home and play video games.

baglo
I'm trying to pass on the "camping bug" to my kids and so far it is working with my 5 yr old son (I still have some work to do on my 1 yr old daughter). I like your idea of a tent when they get older. More room in the (future) 17b for my wife and I.
Camp-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I agree about the kids and especially wanting their own space. Instead of a tent, if you still have a mini-van, I'd suggest figuring out a method to remove the necessary seats and let them sleep in there. They'd be safe, warm and dry... plus their own space. I know Frederick Simson (on FiberglassRV) drives a Honda Mini-Van and takes the seats out and uses those on his camping "patio." He's used his Honda as a spare bedroom when camping with adults... they seem to think it's okay, I bet kids would too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #38

I think most minivans would be wide enough to fit a twin-sized inflatable mattress, maybe even a double. And most are now coming with the seats that can be folded down and stored in the floor which makes it really easy to make a nic flat surface to sleep on.
With just two people it wouldn't be a bad platform for bare-bones camping...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #39

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp-a-lot View Post
I am new to the Escape forum and since my current TV is a mini-van (2005 Toyota Sienna AWD mini-van, Tow Rating 3500lbs) I had to add my two bits. I am currently towing an 18', approx. 8 ft high, single axle hybrid trailer with a factory listed dry weight of 2467lbs. We are a family of four (1 yr and 5 yr old) and generally travel light. I have been towing this trailer problem free for over seven years. Some of my tow vehicles for this TT have included a 2004 dodge dakota (V6 TR 3200lbs) and 2004 Toyota Tacoma (V6 TR 5000lbs). IMHO the best TV for this trailer has been our Toyota mini-van. It tows this weight very well - I have had to make several emergency stops and avoidance maneavers, and having lived in Lethbridge, handled extremely strong side winds. Acceleration when towing our TT is even pretty impressive and highway speeds are generally not a problem. Admittedly, our TV has some difficulty maintaining highway speeds (100+kph) with strong head winds and steep inclines.

I too was looking at getting a 19' escape but I think as the kids get older (=heavier) and we start piling in the bikes and extra gear it will be too heavy for our poor mini-van. Therefore the 17B is looking pretty good right now.
What type of mileage do you get towing with your minivan?

Thanks,

Gene
ghelnes is offline   Reply With Quote