Towing a 19' with my Dodge minivan? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #31

Re: Towing a 19' with my Dodge minivan?

While I am no advocate of delayed gratification, it really seems like the best option is get the trailer you want and tow it with a vehicle suited to the trailer. It means waiting (something I suck at) but it alleviates either danger to your family or premature wear on your vehicle.

Dave

Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp
I wonder why the folks that tow heavier than 3500lbs with minivans PM you instead of posting here in this thread out in the open? Seems strange since driving their rig down the highway is out in the open in public in view.
They probably don't want to bother with the accompanying hassle that it would bring.
There's people out there that have said towing ANYTHING with a minivan isn't a good idea, whether it is properly equipped or not. It's difficult to have an informative discussion with a person that holds that type of attitude...

The Adam Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Of all the topics that seem to stir emotion, the personel view on sensible tow vehicle for a trailer seems to be a hot button topic. I guess some common sense is the best. probably if one removes the two ends of the spectrum probably some where in the middle is about right. There will be those who think you should have a minimum of a 1 ton to tow anything and thsoe who think its just fine to tow right up to or even over the maximum tow capacity of a vehicle. Reality is neither example is probably right.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #34

I am new to the Escape forum and since my current TV is a mini-van (2005 Toyota Sienna AWD mini-van, Tow Rating 3500lbs) I had to add my two bits. I am currently towing an 18', approx. 8 ft high, single axle hybrid trailer with a factory listed dry weight of 2467lbs. We are a family of four (1 yr and 5 yr old) and generally travel light. I have been towing this trailer problem free for over seven years. Some of my tow vehicles for this TT have included a 2004 dodge dakota (V6 TR 3200lbs) and 2004 Toyota Tacoma (V6 TR 5000lbs). IMHO the best TV for this trailer has been our Toyota mini-van. It tows this weight very well - I have had to make several emergency stops and avoidance maneavers, and having lived in Lethbridge, handled extremely strong side winds. Acceleration when towing our TT is even pretty impressive and highway speeds are generally not a problem. Admittedly, our TV has some difficulty maintaining highway speeds (100+kph) with strong head winds and steep inclines.

I too was looking at getting a 19' escape but I think as the kids get older (=heavier) and we start piling in the bikes and extra gear it will be too heavy for our poor mini-van. Therefore the 17B is looking pretty good right now.
Camp-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

Keep in mind that as the kids get older ( heavier ) they aren't gonna want to sleep in the trailer with you anyway.

They'd much rather be in a tent, but then you'll need room for the tent, cots and bedding.

It's either that or they'll stay home and play video games.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Keep in mind that as the kids get older ( heavier ) they aren't gonna want to sleep in the trailer with you anyway.

They'd much rather be in a tent, but then you'll need room for the tent, cots and bedding.

It's either that or they'll stay home and play video games.

baglo
I'm trying to pass on the "camping bug" to my kids and so far it is working with my 5 yr old son (I still have some work to do on my 1 yr old daughter). I like your idea of a tent when they get older. More room in the (future) 17b for my wife and I.
Camp-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I agree about the kids and especially wanting their own space. Instead of a tent, if you still have a mini-van, I'd suggest figuring out a method to remove the necessary seats and let them sleep in there. They'd be safe, warm and dry... plus their own space. I know Frederick Simson (on FiberglassRV) drives a Honda Mini-Van and takes the seats out and uses those on his camping "patio." He's used his Honda as a spare bedroom when camping with adults... they seem to think it's okay, I bet kids would too.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #38

I think most minivans would be wide enough to fit a twin-sized inflatable mattress, maybe even a double. And most are now coming with the seats that can be folded down and stored in the floor which makes it really easy to make a nic flat surface to sleep on.
With just two people it wouldn't be a bad platform for bare-bones camping...
The Adam Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #39

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp-a-lot View Post
I am new to the Escape forum and since my current TV is a mini-van (2005 Toyota Sienna AWD mini-van, Tow Rating 3500lbs) I had to add my two bits. I am currently towing an 18', approx. 8 ft high, single axle hybrid trailer with a factory listed dry weight of 2467lbs. We are a family of four (1 yr and 5 yr old) and generally travel light. I have been towing this trailer problem free for over seven years. Some of my tow vehicles for this TT have included a 2004 dodge dakota (V6 TR 3200lbs) and 2004 Toyota Tacoma (V6 TR 5000lbs). IMHO the best TV for this trailer has been our Toyota mini-van. It tows this weight very well - I have had to make several emergency stops and avoidance maneavers, and having lived in Lethbridge, handled extremely strong side winds. Acceleration when towing our TT is even pretty impressive and highway speeds are generally not a problem. Admittedly, our TV has some difficulty maintaining highway speeds (100+kph) with strong head winds and steep inclines.

I too was looking at getting a 19' escape but I think as the kids get older (=heavier) and we start piling in the bikes and extra gear it will be too heavy for our poor mini-van. Therefore the 17B is looking pretty good right now.
What type of mileage do you get towing with your minivan?

Thanks,

Gene

ghelnes is offline   Reply With Quote