Towing a 21 foot - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape Wanna Be
Towing a 21 foot

I have a Toyota Tundra 5.7 crewmax v8 that has a built in anti sway bar. I’m wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the load leveler kit with the anti sway anyway. Are there anyone here on this forum currently pulling a 21 with a Toyota Tundra? Thanks, Bob , I’ll be picking it upon September.
vanwinkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwinkp View Post
I have a Toyota Tundra 5.7 crewmax v8 that has a built in anti sway bar. I’m wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the load leveler kit with the anti sway anyway..
I don't understand how a truck could have a "built in anti sway bar". Do you mean that the electronic stability control feature of the truck (which uses the truck's brakes) has a trailer stability control function? That's what Toyota calls "Trailer-Sway Control" (TSC).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't understand how a truck could have a "built in anti sway bar". Do you mean that the electronic stability control feature of the truck (which uses the truck's brakes) has a trailer stability control function?
Yes, that is what I figured he meant. I would certainly like to have that feature.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I towed an Escape 21 from Dallas to Reno to Santa Cruz without any sway control or WDH, using my Tacoma 4x4 4.0V6 6-speed. the vehicle DOES have airbags, which I used to level it out after hitching.

I seriously doubt you need a WDH on a Tundra.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
We have a Sequoia not a Tundra but close enough. You will be easily able to pull the 21 w/out a WDH
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree, try towing without to determine the feeling. Sway is minimal with a tandem trailer properly loaded, the issue of rear end and unlevel trailer is more common. Not sure if the truck has springs or coils, but my Ram with coils needed air bags to keep it level.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I have a Toyota Tundra 5.7 crewmax v8 that has a built in anti sway bar. I’m wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the load leveler kit with the anti sway anyway. Are there anyone here on this forum currently pulling a 21 with a Toyota Tundra? Thanks, Bob , I’ll be picking it upon September.

I tow with our 2015 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax and bought a Husky Centerline TS WDH that we took with us when we picked up the trailer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W919GLM/ref=emc_b_5_t

When the WDH is hooked up, it does make the ride better - the pogo effect is greatly reduced when going over bumps and dips and the semi's don't affect the trailer as much when they fly by. The Centerline really cuts any tendency to sway better than other WDH's we have tried. That said, a WDH is not "required" as the trailer is stable behind the Tundra.

Would I buy a WDH again? Yes, as the smoothness that the WDH gives is noticeable and it makes the trips more comfortable.

[edit] If you are going to buy a WDH, make sure to get the electric tongue jack!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 foot
Quote:
I have a 2016 crew max and 2015 escape 21 and have traveled many miles with them.
Feels much more stable using the distribution hitch, IMO.
Set the tension as outlined in manufacturer instructions and.....pull away.
The electric tongue jack does make the hook/unhook process easier.
RL Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Campers View Post
I have a 2016 crew max and 2015 escape 21 and have traveled many miles with them.
Feels much more stable using the distribution hitch, IMO.
Set the tension as outlined in manufacturer instructions and.....pull away.
The electric tongue jack does make the hook/unhook process easier.
I'm towing our 2016 2nd Gen 21 with a 2017 Tundra crew max. I do have the weight distribution bars. I've never towed without, so can't give you a comparison. I can tell ya it tows the trailer beautifully and even with a loaded trailer, it still has plenty of umph to get up those mountain passes. I put probably about 5000 miles on it last year and will be putting lots more than that this year. Last year was the "break-in" period.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Quote:
Our 2012 Tundra with the 5.7L engine has done an impressive job towing our Escape 21 with an Anderson hitch for the past two years. We've been on all kinds of roads where sway could be a problem but the truck has remained fully in charge and the trailer has tracked well. We feel no need to add an extra technology to control sway, because there isn't any!
Old 04-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
We picked up our 21 last June and towed it back to NC without a WHD. It towed fine without any problems the 3,500 miles back home. But after adding a WDH, I noticed an improvement in the ride and the trailer follows the truck better. The 5.7 is a great towing setup for a 21. As others noted, an electric jack is highly recommended as it makes life so much easier.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Stopped by our Toyota dealer today to inquire about the Trailer Sway Control (we have a 2018 Tundra). The service person checked with a service technical and, basically, came back with the same answer I found on the internet. "Trailer Sway Control first detects the sway and then puts measures in place to control the situation. Toyota TSC has a two-step process. First it detects the trailer sway often before the driver will. Then if automatically applies brake pressure to the individual trailer wheels. It also eases the engine torque. All these actions combined help to steady the trailer and the trailer cargo. At the same time TSC is working to bring the trailer under control, it is also communicating with cars behind the trailer. The brake lights will go on to alert vehicles behind it that it is slowing down." But, the service person cautioned, your decision should be based on trailer weight, etc. (basic CYA stuff). That said, the manual for the 2018 Tundra specifically states, "If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb, a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required." And "If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb, a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity is required." Bottom line, Toyota is never going to come out and recommend you rely solely on their Trailer Sway Control unless you're towing a small, utility trailer.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
"Trailer Sway Control first detects the sway and then puts measures in place to control the situation. Toyota TSC has a two-step process. First it detects the trailer sway often before the driver will. Then if automatically applies brake pressure to the individual trailer wheels. It also eases the engine torque. All these actions combined help to steady the trailer and the trailer cargo. At the same time TSC is working to bring the trailer under control, it is also communicating with cars behind the trailer. The brake lights will go on to alert vehicles behind it that it is slowing down."
Applying brakes to individual trailer wheels will require non-standard wiring of the trailer brakes, and presumably the 7 pin plug. Wiring the plug this way would require an adapter to hook up the tug to a standard trailer, or the re-wired trailer to a standard vehicle. I can just imagine what would happen if, due to confusion here, brakes on the trailer were applied only on one side because a standard vehicle was required to move the trailer in the event of some kind of difficulty. Interesting complexities. Perhaps I have missed something here. Or perhaps the selective application of brakes is on the tug not the trailer??

In any case, requiring a sway control hitch on any trailer larger than 2000 pounds doesn't say much good about the electronic system. IMHO a Tundra would have to be saddled with a grossly mis-loaded single axle trailer (read loaded seriously tail heavy) to have any chance of unstable sway in a trailer that small.

As usual, just my two cents worth.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
According to the service person, just plugging in the 7-prong plug will alert the tow vehicle that 'there's a trailer on board' and immediately activate the TSC and all other tow features ... no special wiring/etc., needed.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #15
Site Team

but as AllanEdie says, the 7 blade only has a single control circuit for the trailer brakes, they aren't split left and right, so there's no WAY it could do what the dealer said, so there's some confusion. that said, just applying a touch of trailer brake will control most sway situations.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Perhaps I have missed something here. Or perhaps the selective application of brakes is on the tug not the trailer??
Yes, it is selective application of the tow vehicle brakes. The quote from the internet posted by CADreamin was from a Toyota blog and incorrectly said “individual trailer wheels” instead of just “individual wheels”.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As others have realized, the statement about applying trailer brakes separately is absolutely false. The TSC system applies the truck's brakes individually - as well as reducing engine power when appropriate - like any other electronic stability control system. There was apparently some miscommunication between Toyota people who know what they're doing and Toyota dealership people who have no clue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:13 AM   #18
Site Team

i've towed my C16 heavily loaded over all kinda funky roads, heavy crosswinds, trucking, etc, with my Tacoma and never experienced a bit of sway. I brought the E21 back from Dallas to California in 3 days, ditto no sway control, and no sway problems. sure, when I got passed by big rigs in a heavy crosswind on I40 there was a bit of the old left/ right,. but I had no problem compensating for it, and the trailer never felt like it was wagging the rig.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:33 AM   #19

I would not rely on any electronic anti-sway system built into the tow vehicle. That is REACTIVE, not proactive, much like airbags that deploy after the great impact. When those systems kick in, you ALREADY have a problem. The "anti-sway" tries to save us by using braking after things have already deteriorated.

The electronic one is great to have, but a physical/mechanical system is the way to go. Better yet, if we load things up optimally we shouldn't need any of that stuff.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Chalk up another vote for using a WDH. I have towed our Escape 21 both with and without our Andersen hitch using our 2005 Tundra and the WDH makes the tow smoother and even less sway. (Dampens porpoising) Heavier truck tires make a difference as well, as the stiffer sidewalls greatly reduce sway. We learned this while we had our stick built trailer. The original tires put on by Toyota had a smoother ride, but the trailer made the ride scary, especially when being passed by a semi. We continue to use heavier truck tires with our Escape AND the WDH with built in anti-sway. The ride is rougher with these tires, but I also want them for going into small lakes accessed by terrible roads (after parking the Escape).
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote