Towing a 5.0 TA with a Tacoma - thoughts? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
By the way, bigger is better, you will see when you order your new Escape 5.0TA.

Cheers
Doug
You hush now. First I need to be retired, like you.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #22

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One of the main reasons I went to a moulded fiberglass trailer, was to get away from the old mentality, of "Bigger is Better", for both the trailer AND the tow vehicle. There is no way I could ever be convinced you would need anything larger than a 1/2 ton, like your Dodge Steve, to tow the 5.0TA. Heck, look at Alf who is doing good with something much smaller.

What constitutes a pickup being "designed" to pull a fifth wheel. As long as the hitch is mounted firmly to the frame, there should be no issue. One would have to ensure the capacities are not surpassed. How much weight is on the hitch of a 5,0TA?
Jim ,I am not disagreeing with your logic . My owners manual shows that only bumper hitches are approved for my 1/2 ton truck . You have to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton tricks before they list 5th wheel / gooseneck as approved hitches for the vehicle. . My dealer says he will install the factory bumper hitch on my truck but they will not install a 5th wheel hitch
( liability ?) . My question is " Why when the 5th wheel trailer falls within the limit of the vehicle ,are the dealer and the factory advising against towing a 5th wheel trailer" Since I am not an automotive engineer ,I tend to believe there is a reason for their admonition. Again I am not questioning your judgement but is there something we are not aware of ?
I am old school and remember what my Dad told me "Just because you can does not mean you should " We are planing on looking at an Escape 5.0 TA but I am leery of loosing my warranty on a brand new truck by towing a 5th wheel trailer. Thank you for your post!!

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Even if you go to a 1/2 ton PU, you have to be careful of payload. I am in a similar situation, where I have a Tacoma and am concerned about its ability to tow the Escape 21. I looked at F150 FX4 Ecoboost today and it only had 1380 lbs of payload. My Tacoma has 1200 lbs. I have narrowed my search to the Tundra and F150. I can't decide between the 5.0L and the 3.5L Ecoboost. With the F150, you need to make sure it has a higher GVWR. I think the salesmen get tired of opening the driver door so I can look at the sticker.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sometimes I do wonder if these dealerships are just trying to cover their butts, fearing saying anything but what is extremely safe. I could see if they did not advise doing something, but to say your warranty is void if you do so, even if it causes no harm, is just wrong in my books.

My dad used to always say "Don't believe everything you are told". That works better for me. LOL

As mentioned here before (with pressure applied by Doug), I too really like the 5.0TA, and who knows, maybe some day..............
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Tom, on the off chance you don't know, you can get the F150 in many payloads, 1380 is one of the lower.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sometimes I do wonder if these dealerships are just trying to cover their butts, fearing saying anything but what is extremely safe. I could see if they did not advise doing something, but to say your warranty is void if you do so, even if it causes no harm, is just wrong in my books.

My dad used to always say "Don't believe everything you are told". That works better for me. LOL

As mentioned here before (with pressure applied by Doug), I too really like the 5.0TA, and who knows, maybe some day..............
The problem with no wrty is in the past and present. Too many half ton trucks had been pulling far too heavy a fifth wheel. Too many trailer mfgs have been trying to sell the "half ton towable line". Hence too many light trucks having problems.

i would not worry as the percentage chance of a wrty problem are small because u are towing such a lite package.

i am going to buy new sierra and wont let the wrty thing sway my choice.

ken
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 F250 Crewcab
Thanks everyone. So many good points! After all of this back and forth I've started looking for a two or three year old F150 Supercab 6.5' box. There are a lot of them out there. I've seen them with 1,700# payload and 7,700# tow capacity which will make the whole traveling experience better. 'Plenty of time to find it.
Happy Camping,
'13 Tacoma
Escape 5.0TA (next Sept)
Charlie
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have talked to 3 Ram dealers ,1 Chevy dealer and Ram factory customer assistance and all have advised me that 1/2 ton trucks are not designed to tow a 5th wheel trailer .Also if I modify my vehicle to accommodate towing a 5th wheeler ,my warranty may be affected . The problem seems to stem from how the truck was designed and exceeding the GVWR ,RAWR and the payload capacity of the vehicle.
Those are all valid concerns (as Steve knows from hitting GVWR issues with even a conventional trailer), but the dealers are probably also assuming that "fifth wheel" means something much larger than an Escape 5.0TA, leading to global advice against fifth-wheels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
From what I understand you could run as high as 1000LBS hitch weight, depending on how you load. Any half ton truck should handle it with no issues.
At 1000 pounds of pin weight, 100 pounds of hitch, and two typical adults in the front seats, most base-level "1/2 ton" pickups are out of payload capacity... with no other passengers, and no cargo in the truck. That's not "no issues" to me, but then I would certainly shoot for less than 1000 pounds of pin weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
At 1000 pounds of pin weight, 100 pounds of hitch, and two typical adults in the front seats, most base-level "1/2 ton" pickups are out of payload capacity... with no other passengers, and no cargo in the truck. That's not "no issues" to me, but then I would certainly shoot for less than 1000 pounds of pin weight.
Hi Brian

Its no issue to me as my truck is rated for 1850LBS payload, so by my math I have lots to spare...

Cheers
Doug

PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote