Towing a new gen 19 with a Toyota FJ - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
But I plan to park the FJ because surprising its resale value is like an Escape, it just keeps going up.
We noticed that when we totaled ours and see the check from insurance...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I towed my 2012 Escape 19 with a 2012 FJC. There was some squat in the rear so you may need a w/d set up, otherwise it handles the trailer fine.
Hi Jim, I'll be towing my 2011 E19 with my 2007 FJ next week up some steep grades in the Sierra's here in CA and was wondering if I should put it in 3rd gear when climbing the steep grades? I have an automatic transmission. Regards, Jim
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My FJ towing was not in the Rockies, but in the Appalachian area. I did not have to downshift manually and had no issues nor do I foresee any for you. But you will need a w/d for the soft rear end. I miss my FJ....
Old 08-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHol58 View Post
Hi Jim, I'll be towing my 2011 E19 with my 2007 FJ next week up some steep grades in the Sierra's here in CA and was wondering if I should put it in 3rd gear when climbing the steep grades? I have an automatic transmission.
The manual says
Quote:
Always use the “D” position for better fuel economy and quieter driving.
... then provides only two situations in which another forward gear position is to be used:
  • for engine braking (which you obviously don't need while climbing), or
  • to avoid "hunting" between gears...
Quote:
If the transmission repeatedly shifts up and down between fourth gear and overdrive when climbing a gentle slope, shift the selector lever to the “4” position. Be sure to shift the selector lever to the “D” position immediately afterward.
So, based on what the people who designed and manufacture the vehicle say... no.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My FJ towing was not in the Rockies, but in the Appalachian area. I did not have to downshift manually and had no issues nor do I foresee any for you. But you will need a w/d for the soft rear end. I miss my FJ....
Thanks Jim, So you are you saying there was no need for you to use 3rd gear when climbing mountains? Jim
Old 08-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I climb the Coquihalla in 4 and when the vehicle slows, I stomp on the accelerator, which causes the vehicle to downshift. When the lower gear has done the job, it shifts back up, automatically.

Just press on the gas pedal.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I climb the Coquihalla in 4 and when the vehicle slows, I stomp on the accelerator, which causes the vehicle to downshift. When the lower gear has done the job, it shifts back up, automatically.

Just press on the gas pedal.
Now that's interesting...I wonder why the FJ even has a 3rd gear if it shifts on its own automatically when climbing steep upgrades?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Make her sing

Hi Glenn
I do this whether towing or not. Some days I’m still 17 and set goals for me and whatever I’m driving like “ I wonder if I can hit 80 by the time I pass that next farmhouse along the road.” Of course this is in South Dakota where it’s legal. I’d never do it in Iowa where I grew up riding with dad and a reasonable and proper speed limit. Red line is just a state of mind, not the law.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The manual says

... then provides only two situations in which another forward gear position is to be used:
  • for engine braking (which you obviously don't need while climbing), or
  • to avoid "hunting" between gears...

So, based on what the people who designed and manufacture the vehicle say... no.
Thank you Brian for that detailed explanation. Jim
Old 08-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Now that's interesting...I wonder why the FJ even has a 3rd gear if it shifts on its own automatically when climbing steep upgrades?
Most automatic transmissions will automatically shift down if need be or you can manually shift it down. I just let my current auto do it's own thing, less things to worry about.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Glenn
I do this whether towing or not. Some days I’m still 17 and set goals for me and whatever I’m driving like “ I wonder if I can hit 80 by the time I pass that next farmhouse along the road.” Of course this is in South Dakota where it’s legal. I’d never do it in Iowa where I grew up riding with dad and a reasonable and proper speed limit. Red line is just a state of mind, not the law.
Iowa Dave

Uh, Huh!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
...I wonder why the FJ even has a 3rd gear if it shifts on its own automatically when climbing steep upgrades?
The lower selector positions (such as "3" in this case) are there primarily so that you can force the engine to turn faster for more engine braking (when descending hills), as the manual explains.

This is the same for every automatic transmission vehicle... of every type, of every brand.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We have a low mileage Toyota FJ that we found at a local Lexus dealer. With its short wheel base it can be pretty quick to change lanes. But when I connect our 17 foot Casita Independence it tracks straight down the highway with little correction needed. We are interested in moving up to the new generation Escape 19. Does anyone have input on how the FJ will handle the extra weight? The FJ is rated at 4600K for towing and the Casita weighs about 3400K when loaded.
I understand the 19 Escape may start at 3400K before it is loaded.
Don't do it the wheel base is too short.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...I'll be towing my 2011 E19 with my 2007 FJ next week up some steep grades in the Sierra's here in CA and was wondering if I should put it in 3rd gear when climbing the steep grades? I have an automatic transmission. Regards, Jim
Straight from the Toyota FJ manual with respect to which automatic transmission setting to use while towing:
Quote:
Do not continue hill climbing or hard towing for a long time in the “3”, “2” or “L” position. This may cause severe automatic transmission damage from overheating. To prevent such damage, “4” position should be used in hill climbing or hard towing.
My personal experience towing my 19' with my FJ is that it is best to tow at all times with the transmission in the "4" position, as this is the setting where my Scan Gauge indicates the lowest transmission fluid temperatures are attained. I have sometimes forgotten to use "4" and used "D" instead when starting out, and have noticed a significant drop in transmission fluid temperatures (a drop of 10 to 20°F) by just switching back from "D" to "4".

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is online now   Reply With Quote