Towing an Escape 21: 4Runner or Tacoma? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #61

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
To play devils advocate here there is something to remember though. with higher engine rpm to get all that power comes heat. So screaming a engine at high rpm to get that last bit of power can cause over heating issues. typicaly most of us are towing in the summer months when ambient temps are higher so this does need to remembered.

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 17B
I owned an 06 Tacoma with a 6spd manual and towed a friends trailer which was around 4300lbs over two passes. One of the passes topped out at 9800ft and I felt the Tacoma was really struggling to make it over the pass. The hardest sections were the switchbacks where you had to slow down and then work to get back up to a reasonable speed. The grades of the pass hit 7% in sections so it is a steep pass. Luckily we were doing this in late fall so the temperatures were very cool so over heating was not an issue. We have since had a family and sold the Tacoma for a 4runner and decided on a 17B based on weight and some safety margin.

I think towing a 21 in flatlands would be fine with a 4runner, but once you hit the passes you will struggle and a Tacoma will not really give you much more. Time to start looking for some more power.

smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #63

Last summer we drove the Ice fields highway and our 19 behind the yukon with a v8 was a decent work out. It was fine but there is a big difference in he mountians. Apart from maybe a 3/4 ton truck with a huge diesel engine on these big grades some common sense is required.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
Last summer we drove the Ice fields highway and our 19 behind the yukon with a v8 was a decent work out. It was fine but there is a big difference in he mountians. Apart from maybe a 3/4 ton truck with a huge diesel engine on these big grades some common sense is required.
I fully agree. Most tow vehicles will get a good workout on the steeper mountain passes. Given that traveling on these long steep grades constitutes a very small percentage of my overall towing mileage, I am not overly concerned or worked up if I have to slow down a bit for short steep uphill sections of road.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #65

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
To play devils advocate here there is something to remember though. with higher engine rpm to get all that power comes heat. So screaming a engine at high rpm to get that last bit of power can cause over heating issues. typicaly most of us are towing in the summer months when ambient temps are higher so this does need to remembered.
Production of power has the side-effect of producing waste heat, whether the engine is running at high or low speed. Roughly similar amounts of power go out the radiator, out the exhaust, and to the drive wheels; toasters are trivial heat sources compared to engines. Higher engine speed does mean more friction - and so more heat - but it also means the ability to dissipate more heat, so it isn't necessarily an issue. But still I agree - excessive speed is bad.

There is a big range between loafing along at idle speed and screaming at redline. Since the Tacoma / Grand Cherokee owner hasn't had a chance to reply to my question, we still don't know where dragging an Escape up a mountain grade at highway speed falls, so we have no idea if there is an issue for either of those vehicles (or for the 4Runner that is being compared to the Tacoma). We don't know if the Tacoma's engine is being run to the limit to extract that last bit of power, or if it's running at half that speed and only one-third of maximum power output.

For a related reference, the somewhat smaller and generation earlier V6 in our Sienna (3.3 L 3MZ-FE) drags the van and our widebody 17' trailer up those grades at engine speeds midway between relaxed cruise and redline, with no hint on the coolant temperature gauge of having any issues with excessive heat. Like Dave W, I'm not so concerned.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #66

Trailer: Escape
Those that are seeking information to decide on a tow vehicle would do well to consider the post of individuals such as Dave Mcrae that are providing information based on real world experience and training. Some other posts are based on assumption, presumption, opinion, guessing and information "skimed" from other sources. The resistance of the frontal area of the travel trailer is a significant factor when considering vehicle towing capability and can result in diminished towing ability of a marginal vehicle.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #67

I will offer this opinion. I wouldn't want to tow anything more than a carefully loaded 19ft with any of vehicles on the market that are the 5000-6000 lb tow capacity with a v6 engine. Thats just me and were we travel with mountain passes on many of our trips.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #68
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm of the 5000 lb limit mindset with the v-6, at least from I have used.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #69

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Quote:
I will offer this opinion. I wouldn't want to tow anything more than a carefully loaded 19ft with any of vehicles on the market that are the 5000-6000 lb tow capacity with a v6 engine. Thats just me and were we travel with mountain passes on many of our trips.
Dave
With my rather limited experience to date with a v6 4Runner and an escape 19, I would agree with you fully. No problem with ride or control, with WDH, but power is an issue in routes with significant inclines.

Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #70
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm sure my Toyota FJ can handle the Escape 21' most of the time, and I plan on towing with it while in state, but heading west I'll hook up the Dodge Ram for that extra margin of power in reserve.