Towing an Escape 21: 4Runner or Tacoma? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
On my old Chevrolet Tahoe I was concerned with transmission temperature, so I bought a guage and a A-pillar pod , the only pillar pod available was a double guage one so I thought what other guage should I get? Well I got a Engine oil temp guage , Just to fill the hole. Well to my surprise the transmission temps were never a concern But holy smokes did I get a education on engine oil temperatures. The moral of the story is a trans temp guage is a great idea before you get all concerned about something that may not even be a concern.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Excellent idea to add a gauge. I really wanted one, the problem was my model of Toyota 4Runner did not support a gauge monitoring transmission temperatures. These gauges work with the user programming in a code for the specific item they want to monitor. Each manufacturer and model has different codes. I cannot recall the exact reason but it was not a missing code, it just had not been built into that model of 4Runner. Hey folks this is a ten year old car, maybe they have been improved.

Scan gauge was one and I think the other was Ultra Scan.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Here's a less wordy question

After thinking through the informative answers to my overly verbose initial question, I invite your thoughts on the essential issue:

Two identical Escape 21-foot trailers are at the bottom of a five-mile 8% uphill grade on a two-lane highway which has been closed to other traffic.

One is hitched to a Toyota Tacoma V6 generating 236 horsepower and 266 foot-pounds of torque, and with a tow rating of 6500 pounds (SAE J2807 compliant).

The other is hitched to a Toyota 4Runner V6 generating 270 horsepower and 278 foot-pounds of torque, and with a tow rating of 5000 pounds (SAE J2807 compliant).

Both vehicles are in perfect mechanical condition, and are controlled by equally competent drivers.

If both trailers are towed up the grade at as close to the posted speed limit as possible, using optimal gear selections and RPM range, which tow vehicle and trailer will arrive at the top first?

Bonus question: Estimate how much sooner the quicker TV and trailer will arrive at the top:

a) slightly
b) significantly
c) dramatically.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Were you a math teacher Brent?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #25

No, but I labored through enough math courses to know how the instruments of torture are worded.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Not going to touch the question but I suspect one of the factors in the different tow ratings is the curb weight of the two vehicles. A SUV on a similar platform as a truck will have a
Significantly higher curb weight due to all the steel, glass and interior trim . My Yukon is around 1000 lbs heavier than a pick up truck and I drive both models on a regular basis and you can defiantly can feel the extra weight
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #27

You're right, Dave. The 4Runner's curb weight is 473 pounds more than the Tacoma with a tow package, which accounts for about 1/3 of the difference in rated tow capacity.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
In the US, the 4 Runner is rated for pulling 4700 lbs. the horsepower is 270 and the torque is 278 ft lbs. does anyone happen to know why there is this difference?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Two different motors, one has variable valve timing ignition which generates more hp and torque.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree that the extra weight of the SUV (4Runner) cutting into GCWR would account for some of the rating difference. Rear axle loading (the shorter 4Runner will get more load transferred onto its rear axle from the front) may limit the 4Runner's rating. The point is that even though Toyota is following SAE standard J2807 - which takes performance into account - the rating does not indicate the acceleration or climbing performance.

With different engine output and different weight, I suspect that there will be little difference in acceleration up the grade... despite having different "excess capacity" to their tow ratings.

It is interesting how different the power outputs are, given not just the same size engine but the same engine design (1GR-FE), mounted the same way (longitudinal) likely with similar intake tracts and exhaust systems. The 4Runner gets its additional power from dual VVT-i (valve timing control) rather than single VVT-i, so it will likely have a broader power band and will be able to take good advantage of its higher potential... so I vote for the 4Runner to win by a nose.

Of course, almost no one uses the full power capability of their engine, because they are not willing to operate it at peak power speed for sustained periods - that's 5600 rpm for the 4Runner and 5200 rpm for the Tacoma. In actual use, the 4Runner driver may be more likely to fail to make optimal gear selections for performance and leave more power unused. They are likely using the same transmission (not enough specs online to be able to tell), but have different tire heights (changing effective gearing) and could be geared differently, complicating the situation further.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Two different motors, one has variable valve timing ignition which generates more hp and torque.
VVT-i is variable valve timing... nothing to do with ignition. Although both are presumably the 1GR-FE engine design, I agree that this is a meaningful equipment variation within the engine. It allows the 4Runner (dual VVT-i, meaning variable on both intake and exhaust cams, not just intake) to maintain torque output at higher speeds, thus producing more power.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
In the US, the 4 Runner is rated for pulling 4700 lbs. the horsepower is 270 and the torque is 278 ft lbs. does anyone happen to know why there is this difference?
Leon, are you asking about the difference between 4Runner and Tacoma (as Jim assumed), or the difference between the 5000 lb tow rating quoted earlier and the 4700 lb tow rating you are seeing?

If it is the tow rating, then at a quick guess, I note that different levels of standard equipment change the base vehicle weight, leaving more or less for the trailer rating. The trailer rating is normally for base equipment, and actual capacity as equipped is often less.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But if I look at Brent's word problem up above, it looks to me like both the us and Canadian models generate 270 HP and 278 ft lbs of torque. But Brent mentions a towing capacity of 5000 lbs, and the toyota web site says towing capacity is 4700 lbs. my assumption is that Brent is looking at the Canadian model and the website I am looking at is the American model. Both say the are following the SAE standard. Oh well. More a curiosity question
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Leon, are you asking about the difference between 4Runner and Tacoma (as Jim assumed), or the difference between the 5000 lb tow rating quoted earlier and the 4700 lb tow rating you are seeing?

If it is the tow rating, then at a quick guess, I note that different levels of standard equipment change the base vehicle weight, leaving more or less for the trailer rating. The trailer rating is normally for base equipment, and actual capacity as equipped is often less.
I was asking about the tow rating of the 2 versions of the 4 runner. You point about different weights makes sense
Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
But if I look at Brent's word problem up above, it looks to me like both the us and Canadian models generate 270 HP and 278 ft lbs of torque. But Brent mentions a towing capacity of 5000 lbs, and the toyota web site says towing capacity is 4700 lbs. my assumption is that Brent is looking at the Canadian model and the website I am looking at is the American model. Both say the are following the SAE standard. Oh well. More a curiosity question
So, Leon, you are talking about the difference in 4Runner tow ratings, not the difference in engines. The engines are usually the same for both countries, since government regulations are compatible and the vehicles come out of the same factory for both markets. Yes, Toyota USA lists 4700 pounds, while Toyota Canada lists 5000 pounds. If you're curious, you can download the owners manual from Toyota USA - it is usually the same manual for both countries.

SAE Standard J2807 sets requirements for testing; a manufacturer can set any rating at which the rig passes the test standard, so they can always go lower in rating than the vehicle's capability if they want to allow more margin for user error. In this case, I think it's probably equipment variations, but I haven't compared the equipment feature-by-feature.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #36

Thanks for shedding some more light on this question, folks. It would be interesting to know the thinking that Toyota puts into setting its tow capacities, especially when they have to factor customer expectations and satisfaction, legal considerations, the SAE standard, and marketing into the equation.

I'm sure looking forward to experiencing firsthand how well our 4Runner handles towing the Escape 21, but can't do so until ours hatches in September.

Not having towed before, I have no point of comparison. I just want to be sure we aren't using a vehicle that is not up to the task, and compromising safety for ourselves or anyone else on the road.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #37

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Two friends tow a 21ft with a Highlander and another tows with a 4-Runner with a 4.7V8.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Two friends tow a 21ft with a Highlander and another tows with a 4-Runner with a 4.7V8.
Chuck
How do the folks with the Highlander do pulling the 21? That is the tow vehicle I am most likely to buy. Thanks much
Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #39

The Toyota Canada website lists the newest and most capable Highlander's tow capacity at 5000 pounds, and rates the 3.5 liter VVT-i engine's output at 270 hp @ 6200 rpm, and the peak torque at 248 foot-pounds @ 4700 rpm.

The GVWR is 5997 pounds, and the curb weight is 4508 pounds.

It has a 6-speed transmission, which might help, and a transmission fluid cooler.

The Highlander is a crossover design, while the 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, and Tacoma are all body-on-frame vehicles.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Little hesitant to jump in on this, but here goes. We have a 17B we bought in September and started with a 2011 Murano rated 3500 lbs. tow capacity. We figured no problem as the dry weight for the 17B is 2100 lbs.
We traveled about 2000 miles and started wondering if it was really up to the task. Bought a 2013 Highlander SE this January and love the difference, but don't think I would want to tow another 1000 lbs. with it. I have owned a 2003 Sequoia and a 2008 Buick Enclave. I don't believe the Enclave would be much different from the Highlander, and for what its worth I didn't like the six-speed tranny on the Buick. They went to that on the '14 Highlander and I prefer the five-speed. Am pretty frustrated with the depreciation we ate over the years....should've kept the Sequoia honestly, but we were downsizing, and didn't know we wanted a trailer. If I decided we had to have a '21 I would think seriously about biting the bullet again and get a V-8.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote