Towing and the wrangler unlimited - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Thanks Brian B P for post #17 and thanks to my Dad who told me when I was 14 that "people will lie to you". In October of 2012 Toyota used a 5600 lb Tundra to pull a 292,000 lb. Space Shuttle and trailer across a bridge. Sustained towing, safely, takes plenty of dog and not so much tail. Advertising and publicity stunts, not so much.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If my FJ Cruiser can tow my Escape 19, I'd like to know if the Jeep Wrangler Limited could, It would look awesome as a tow vehicle.
I understand the comparison - the two vehicles are of a roughly similar size, proportions, and type. They even have about the same size and design of engine, and very similar rear suspensions.

As Robert says, it's a matter of the numbers. I don't know what the GCWR of the FJ Cruiser is, but the 5000 pound trailer rating implies that it must be much higher than that of the Wrangler. DaimlerChrysler (now Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) just didn't do what was needed to get the Wrangler's GCWR as high as Toyota did for the FJ Cruiser (and other vehicles on the same platform, such as the 4Runner and LandCruiser Prado).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm wondering if standard shift would be better than auto if there is no trans cooler or oil cooler. Any thoughts?
Good point, but:
  1. We don't know if transmission cooling is the limitation.
  2. With a manual transmission the clutch could be just as limiting.

The transmission issue is one example of the problem always faced by anyone looking to go beyond the manufacturer's ratings: we don't know all the factors which contributed to those ratings.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Our option list is without A.C., without microwave, with solar, with dual batteries, with storage box and a u-shaped dinette. Always have been light packers. It's only the two of us. Always been light packers.
A/C and microwave are common and heavy options - this sounds like a reasonable plan.

Quote:
The sales person's only reply was that it would tow the 19 easily...
So, as usual, nothing useful from the sales person. Some of them are focused entirely on engine power, and indeed the Wrangler's 3.6L V6 is probably fine in that one respect if you have reasonable expectations.

Quote:
... the hitch people said that with the class 3 hitch, which will distribute the weights, we wouldn't have a problem as long as we keep everything in proportions.
The hitch class is just a category of capacity, which has nothing to do with weight distribution; assuming the best of the hitch people, they presumably meant a weight-distributing hitch (WDH)... a hunk of hardware which will use up another hundred pounds or more out of the vehicle's capacity (and which is not needed).

All the WDH would do is force the Jeep's front axle and the trailer's axles to take more of the load, and the Jeep's rear axle to take less (as well as keeping the trailer and tug coupling from turning freely). This doesn't change the combined weight rating, so I don't see it fixing anything. "No problem" may just mean that the Jeep's rear suspension doesn't bottom out and the trailer doesn't sway... like having enough power, both are good things to achieve, but not sufficient to declare success.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
The shorter wheelbase has a choppy ride and is hard on the back. A friend of mine pulled a work trailer and as a passenger it was not a pleasant ride at all . The Longer wheelbase the better .
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 PM   #25

Wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
The shorter wheelbase has a choppy ride and is hard on the back. A friend of mine pulled a work trailer and as a passenger it was not a pleasant ride at all . The Longer wheelbase the better .
Absolutely - and both Dave and Marry have not only the current (JK) Wrangler (much longer than predecessors), but the Unlimited (4 door) version of that... which has a 116" wheelbase. That's longer than most SUVs used to tow Escapes.

The JK Wrangler is unusual for vehicles other than pickup trucks, in that the difference between the short and long wheelbases is exceptionally large. While the 116" Unlimited is longer than average, the 95" 2-door is shorter than average.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:50 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Update from my side: I did send an e-mail to Reace to find out what our "dry" weight (trailer with our options) will be. I know we will be pushing the limits, but as long as we can stay within the limits at least all you guys will know it's us driving by:-).
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Our 19 with our options: dry weight 2880 lbs
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
what is your tongue weight?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #29

Trailer: Jeep/Ursa Minor 2013
New member here. I am interested in this thread as I am hoping to use our Wrangler Unlimited as a TV for an as yet to be acquired 17B. Our Jeep is a 2013 Rubicon with 4:10 gearing, auto (w/ trans cooler), tow package and an aftermarket suspension. The load capacity is indeed small ~900 lbs. We have a popup top, stove and fridge mounted in our Jeep so there is not much capacity left after my wife and I get in. Although it would easier with a bigger TV, we like trips to remote locations and hope to use the 17B as a base camp from which we will explore further in the Jeep. Think Four Corners area in US.

Here is a picture.

IMG_3292.jpg

It seems like I may be pushing the limits even with the 17B. It will be our first TT, but I have trailered boats around for 40 years.

Thanks for the Escape wisdom!!

Kelly
KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Welcome KellyM to our little world,
You can remove the refer and stove since those will be in the camper. Good luck and try to view an Escape near you.