Towing Capacity - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Looking to purchase
Towing Capacity

According to the Escape Site, the 17' Plan B fully loaded weighs 3400lbs. Has anyone pulled this size with a Smaller SUV Crossover? Ford Escape's towing capacity is 3500lbs. Anyone with experience in using a Crossover SUV instead of a full size?
Thanks!
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our first Escape was a used 17B. Our first tow was a 2011 Murano. Engine plenty strong however feared for the CVT trans so bought an AWD Highlander- the same tow the trailer seller had. Worked great! Know of one forum member who had the combo you describe and his transmission had to be rebuilt in a lonely Nevada town.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

Thanks for response, from what I have read I think I will have to get a regular size SUV.
I have never seen anything but pictures of Escapes. It is just me and my wife. Can you tell a big difference from a 17' to 21'?
Dwain
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
You won't get 3500 lbs of towing capacity unless you go with the 2.0L EcoBoost i4, a drive ratio of 3.07, and the Class II trailer tow package. The GCWR, so equipped, is 7486 lbs. Depending on the options of a 17B, and the stuff you put in it, your actual loaded trailer weight could exceed 3500 lbs, but just for the sake of argument, let's go with the lower 3400 lb figure. The curb weight of the Ford Escape so equipped is about 3645 lbs, and the GVWR is about 4750 lbs. The GVWR looks fine there, but we also have to keep the GCWR in mind.

If we take the 3400 lb figure for the trailer, and add it to the curb weight of 3645 lbs for the tow, we get something around 7045 lbs. That leaves you a maximum of around 440 lbs for all cargo, fuel and occupants of the tow vehicle, without exceeding the GCWR. Two adults might average 350 lbs, and a tank of gas (12 gallons) is around 75 lbs. That leaves you a whopping total cargo capacity in the tow vehicle of 15 lbs.

I go through this exercise only to point out that there's more to towing considerations than simply the towing capacity number. Do yourself a favor and get a more capable tow vehicle - something in the 4500 lb towing capacity range at a minimum. And, regardless of your choice, consider all the towing numbers - GVWR, GCWR, and payload as well as towing capacity.

I haven't even brought up the maximum frontal area for the Ford Escape. Just so you know, it's 30 square feet. At best, you'll be borderline there too. That's not really a "capacity", just a number that gives you an idea of how big the front of the trailer can be before you get a big performance hit with the tow.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

Thanks

Yes, I think bottom line is I need a vehicle that will tow 5000lbs.
Thanks for your insights!
Dwain
Old 11-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sounds like a plan.
I'm happy with my RAV4 and 17B, but if I needed to replace the RAV4, I'd move up to a Highlander or Pilot.
Attached Thumbnails
Coqu Summit.jpg  
Old 11-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
I have never seen anything but pictures of Escapes. It is just me and my wife. Can you tell a big difference from a 17' to 21'?
Dwain
Hmm, well, it might depend upon what day of the week it is or how someone feels that day as to how a 17' compares to a 21'. These are all small trailers when looking at the big guys, but the 21' certainly has appreciably more space than a 17', to me anyway. Some prefer to have a smaller trailer for more ease of parking and everything else about it, if they feel that it is sufficient for their needs. Others like the bigger sizes.

You can see any of these in your region by visiting owners. Usually people know which they need on sight. The layouts and bed sizes are different and that may have much to do with one's choice.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Thanks for response, from what I have read I think I will have to get a regular size SUV.
Dwain
We've owned a 17B and a 21 and here is a significant difference in living space in the 21. We have towed both of them with a Highlander. While I can definitely tell a difference in towing the 21, they both have towed very comfortably with the Highlander.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sounds like a plan.
I'm happy with my RAV4 and 17B, but if I needed to replace the RAV4, I'd move up to a Highlander or Pilot.
Ditto. We replaced our RAV 4 with the truck for more storage space, not for lack of tow capacity. We needed a weight distribution hitch with the RAV 4 however. Also note that both gbaglo and I are talking about older RAV 4's with 6 cylinder and tow package-no longer offered.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Owners in Florida

Dwain,
If you'll click on the Owners Map in the grey bar at the top of this page, you'll be able to locate the six Escape owners in Florida.
Just about every owner enjoys showing their trailer to newcomers. Call the ETI office for contact info. You should see the real thing to get an idea of the size trailer that suits you and your wife.
If that doesn't work out there will be a gathering/rally in Montgomery, Alabama in March that a number of us are planning to attend. You can search this site or Google for "Green Eggs and Ham" .
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If we take the 3400 lb figure for the trailer, and add it to the curb weight of 3645 lbs for the tow, we get something around 7045 lbs. That leaves you a maximum of around 440 lbs for all cargo, fuel and occupants of the tow vehicle, without exceeding the GCWR. Two adults might average 350 lbs, and a tank of gas (12 gallons) is around 75 lbs. That leaves you a whopping total cargo capacity in the tow vehicle of 15 lbs.
I think this is a great explanation of how GCWR may be a limitation... but in this case the cargo capacity is 90 pounds, rather than 15 pounds, because curb weight already includes a full tank of fuel.

Quote:
Yes, I think bottom line is I need a vehicle that will tow 5000lbs.
That's quite the jump. Robert explained by the rated towing capacity is not the only number to consider, but different vehicles have different load capacity left when towing their maximum rated trailer... you don't necessarily need a 5000 lb towing rating to tow a 3400 pound trailer. For instance, my Toyota van can tow its maximum 3500 pound trailer and still have half a ton left for passengers and cargo in the van.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
There are a lot of size differences between the trailers...but for the wife and I it was a simple pick. For us it is all about the bed width. The Escape 19 has the widest bed along with the 5th wheel. If the bed is important, you might want to check out the sizes on the Escape web page...
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...you don't necessarily need a 5000 lb towing rating to tow a 3400 pound trailer. For instance, my Toyota van can tow its maximum 3500 pound trailer and still have half a ton left for passengers and cargo in the van.
An excellent point. Go with the numbers for your particular vehicle - rather than assuming the numbers will be similar to any vehicle with the same 'towing capacity'.