Towing Concern - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
In addition to Glenn's "check list" (mine is on my IPhone) I always wear my Lucky Back-up Hat. It's a Tilly Hat and makes all the difference in the world. Plus it's cool.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Glenn,
Your list looks very similar to ours with one exception. I had to put Wife: on board , after I left her in a gas station in Quebec years ago. And that's the troof.
Dave
That reminds me of a great Garison Keillor story.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I would just add to the list that many of us use awning straps to keep the awning from coming down, which a number of Escape owners and countless others have had happen.

We do a walk-around when we think we are hooked up, and look up and down. That is to see that all stabilizers are up, bath vent down, windows closed and many other items are in place that you can see, such as steps up, if you just walk around the trailer. Also door locked even if only going to the dump --- people change their minds! We check the locks and connections on the hitch and WDH and box. When we hook up the trailer brakes, we then check them. Need mirrors, too. So many things! We pull out and then go back and check the campsite for anything left.

Oh, don't forget the dog or spouse which some have done!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I do not like distractions when I'm in the "hookup zone" either. I usually stand by the hitch for a little bit , just staring at it when I'm done and once in a while I pick up something that's been left undone. This includes stowing my stabilizer boards, chocks, stabilizers and step.
If my controller is not connected, there's only a red dot on the display when brakes are applied.. When I'm connected, the reading shows a voltage ( I think it's voltage anyway). I tow in regular flat interstate or state highway at 1.5 but in the mountains 2.0 and in Chicago traffic at
65 mph, I crank it to 2.5 which will smoke em if I need to lock them up. Works for me the last 30,000 miles. Brake shoes are at over 50,000 and I'll change them this winter. I am an anticipatory driver and still had over 1/3 pads on the Highlander at 124,000 miles this last spring when I had them done.
Iowa "easy does it" Dave
Hi: Iowa "edi" Dave... I just found out my brake controller has gone south. Last few trips it's been acting strange. Light pedal pressure gets a response from the trailer and 2.5 on the screen. Heavier pressure the numbers flash lower and lower till trailer brakes release at 0.0 Probably connected with the sizzle that Mary Anne's been hearing from it. Been in use since 2007 and through 2 trailers and 2 trucks. 120 bucks gets me a Tekonsha Primus IQ... down the road. Them's the brakes!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Alf
Shouldn't be too bad to install a new one, a least you know where it mounts and where the wires hook up. Teresa and Todd did theirs on the new Pathfinder so the Frontier should be similar. Glad we live in the hills and not on the bottom either, had a 6 inch rain last night. A little soaky here today, made the falls look like a Sunday school picnic.. Not that I've been to one recently.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa "edi" Dave... I just found out my brake controller has gone south. Last few trips it's been acting strange. Light pedal pressure gets a response from the trailer and 2.5 on the screen. Heavier pressure the numbers flash lower and lower till trailer brakes release at 0.0 Probably connected with the sizzle that Mary Anne's been hearing from it. Been in use since 2007 and through 2 trailers and 2 trucks. 120 bucks gets me a Tekonsha Primus IQ... down the road. Them's the brakes!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
If the dead controller is a Tekonsha, at least a P3, it is warranted for life. My 4 year old P3 lost one of the display colors so that it only showed dim red. Called them, described the problem & sent it back & they sent me a new one.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Re: Hooking up

Someone on the Forum mentioned that when hooking up they make sure they don't get distracted by anything else and that they do everything in the same sequence.
Similarly, someone had a story in one of these forums about something missed because someone else had "helped" with the hookup. Even if they don't distract you, splitting up the tasks risks something being missed - either because each person thought that the other one was doing it, or because the helpful person didn't know how to do something.

If someone wants to help by going around and checking things that's fine with me, but I'm not leaving anything for them to do.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Some time ago I posted about watching a guy back his twin engine inboard/outboard down the boat ramp. He lightly applied the brakes and the boat kept right on going toward the water, landing on the twin legs.
His buddy had 'helped' by releasing the bow painter from the trailer.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
In addition to Glenn's "check list" (mine is on my IPhone) I always wear my Lucky Back-up Hat. It's a Tilly Hat and makes all the difference in the world. Plus it's cool.
I own a Tilley hat. I wear it for weather protection when needed, mostly in the backcountry. It works great for that and will last forever. However, it is the furthest thing from cool. Nothing screams tacky tourist more than my Tilley Hat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #30

Yes, we call them "Silly Tilly" around here. Elderly couples, wearing matching jackets, wear them while walking the seawall in West Vancouver.
My choice is Filson Tin Packer hat.
http://www.filson.com/tin-cloth-packer-hat.html
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 3.14.42 PM.png  
Old 09-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #31

I think those of you with a trailer check list that they use regularly is a great idea. You can't go wrong with it.

For me, I do a walk around after hitching doing a visual check, no list involved. Mind you, I have done this thousands of times before. I check the lights only once in a while.

When setting up or tearing down our travel trailer, my wife usually helps, and I always confirm with her that she did the steps she was to do. One thing she does is always install and remove the X-Chocks, definitely something to ensure is done. Basically, I take full responsibility for everything.

I also don't check my trailer after every stop when it is already hitched, as I would lose too much weight doing laps around the trailer. I stop places with a trailer somewhere around 30-50 times a week, except when on holidays. Today alone, I made at least 10 stops with a trailer behind me. I see no need to do more than a quick glance, as nothing can really change when parked, as it is more likely to happen under way if at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I own a Tilley hat. I wear it for weather protection when needed, mostly in the backcountry. It works great for that and will last forever. However, it is the furthest thing from cool. Nothing screams tacky tourist more than my Tilley Hat.
Are you suggesting that I may not look cool in my Tilley?
Attached Thumbnails
tilley.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yes, we call them "Silly Tilly" around here. Elderly couples, wearing matching jackets, wear them while walking the seawall in West Vancouver.
My choice is Filson Tin Packer hat.
Tin Packer Hat | Filson
Now those are nice hats.

I have a virgin wool Pendelton hat I love, but it needs to be quite cool out before I can wear it as it is quite warm.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Are you suggesting that I may not look cool in my Tilley?
You just did.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #35

Hate'n on the Tilly

Well I guess if I buy a Tilly I better not wear it around Jim Bennet. That or practice my best Canadian so they think I'm A local and not just local. I've always worn ball caps, usually free ones, like a good Iowan, I roll that bill real tight so I can stick my head in the mailbox to see if my govamint farm support check is back in there somewhere. Really
Dave
Old 09-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #36

Better to look silly, then suffer the elements, eh?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #37

Me and my Filson.
Attached Thumbnails
PAM'S BAG.jpg  
Old 09-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Well I guess if I buy a Tilly I better not wear it around Jim Bennet. That or practice my best Canadian so they think I'm A local and not just local. I've always worn ball caps, usually free ones, like a good Iowan, I roll that bill real tight so I can stick my head in the mailbox to see if my govamint farm support check is back in there somewhere. Really
Dave
C'mon Dave, you could handle the ribbing. Tilley hats are a great Canadian icon.

I too wear ball caps a lot. Keeps the sun out of my eyes, and keeps the heat in my body on cooler days. And yeah, none of those flat brims like kids these days wear, though I don't do the tight roll either.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Me and my Filson.
Had to double check to see if you were actually in that photo.

Was that before or after your head reduction, 'cause it sure looks small there.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #40

I have a Filson Cruiser jacket and a Filson cruiser vest but let me tell you, I'm ordering a hat like Glenn's got later tonight. That sucker gets results.

Hmmmm How about a Rally style show. Bennet and Baglo on a runway, paints a picture don't it?
Dave