Towing Concern - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Question Towing Concern

We are newbies and heard of the Escape brand on our very first RV holiday. We rented an A class to see if we would do this in retirement and found that while we enjoyed the experience we do not want such a huge RV. We have an SUV that has a towing capacity of 7710 lbs. We are very fond of the 19' unit. We ask for your honest expertise if this SUV can pull this unit comfortably without a gargantuan slow down going up inclines, also knowing we will have the sway bar package for safety.
Paul Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome, Paul!

You will have no problem at all towing the 19 with that towing capacity. The 19 is a very nice unit. You will not need sway bars, and even a WDH (weight distribution hitch) may not be needed, but certainly would not hurt.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Welcome, Paul!

You will have no problem at all towing the 19 with that towing capacity. The 19 is a very nice unit. You will not need sway bars, and even a WDH (weight distribution hitch) may not be needed, but certainly would not hurt.
We thank you for your quick response and word's of wisdom. We believed the same but wanted to hear from the experts that have done this
Paul Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
welcome to the forum

and...

Maybe consider a 21' ?

that way you avoid 2 foot itis.

you have plenty of towing capacity for a 21'

just a thought...... tons of good info here for researching.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Just a guess, but if the towing capacity is 7710, it sounds like it might be one of the European units. They all seen to have this towing capacity. What they don't have is a comparable tongue weight. Some have only 500lbs or so. I suggest checking the tongue weight as well to make sure it's adequate

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
Just a guess, but if the towing capacity is 7710, it sounds like it might be one of the European units. They all seen to have this towing capacity. What they don't have is a comparable tongue weight. Some have only 500lbs or so. I suggest checking the tongue weight as well to make sure it's adequate
It could be a Volkswagen Touareg, or the same vehicle under the Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne names, and those have over 600 pounds of hitch weight capacity; however, that's still a valid point: check all of the capacity limits, and be aware the hitch weight capacity is the one which might be an issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Nielsen View Post
We have an SUV that has a towing capacity of 7710 lbs. We are very fond of the 19' unit. We ask for your honest expertise if this SUV can pull this unit comfortably without a gargantuan slow down going up inclines...
The towing capacity says very little about grade-climbing performance, but with all Escapes weighing comfortably less than this SUV is supposed to be able to handle, it would be reasonable to expect decent performance. With more specific information (what SUV, with which engine), someone may be able to set more specific expectations.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I tow the my 19 with a Ford Ranger, with a canopy and kayaks. Been from the lowest to highest points in the US. Little slow on the really steep high stuff but not an issue. With your capacity you'd probably be passing me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Just completed a "wander" from Idaho to Chilliwack and back via Olympic NP and Ranier NP. Pulled our 2013 19 with a 2014 1500 5.3 Silverado (towing wt posted at 7100 lbs). Had an interesting experience going over Stevens Pass when I reached the bottom and found I had not plugged the trailer into the truck that morning. No trailer brakes and the truck had enough brake capacity that I didn't even realize it. Makes a statement about having a light trailer and enough reserve capacity in the tow vehicle. We also don't need a weight distributing hitch so it's a snap to hook up and unhook as well.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
Just completed a "wander" from Idaho to Chilliwack and back via Olympic NP and Ranier NP. Pulled our 2013 19 with a 2014 1500 5.3 Silverado (towing wt posted at 7100 lbs). Had an interesting experience going over Stevens Pass when I reached the bottom and found I had not plugged the trailer into the truck that morning. No trailer brakes and the truck had enough brake capacity that I didn't even realize it. Makes a statement about having a light trailer and enough reserve capacity in the tow vehicle. We also don't need a weight distributing hitch so it's a snap to hook up and unhook as well.
Yikes.

Glad everyone is ok. Could have been a disaster.

And

My wife never ever complains about having to check the trailer brake lights every time we hook up

And she doesn't complain when I religiously walk around the trailer after every single stop to look at everything and check.

I think I'll keep my routine.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Yikes.

Glad everyone is ok. Could have been a disaster.

And

My wife never ever complains about having to check the trailer brake lights every time we hook up

And she doesn't complain when I religiously walk around the trailer after every single stop to look at everything and check.

I think I'll keep my routine.
Same here. My wife knows it so well, that she queries me as I do the walk around.
We always do a brake check by starting the rig rolling slowly, putting the tow in neutral, then engaging the manual lever on the brake controller to stop the rig. Even works on my sloping driveway.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Check the lights

We have a pre flight checklist with label maker generated prompts in the door frame. It was developed by the previous owner and is complete to the degree that it is unchanged after three years. On lights, Rita goes to the back of the trailer where I can see her in the mirror, I go through the turn, stop, tail routine. She gives me thumbs up at each test. And as Gleason would exclaim, "Away we go". Thanks to AZ Jack and Alf and Mary Anne. Learnt what I know from the pros. Got grease on my pants on the last trip, time to carburetor clean the hitch this afternoon. Also bumped it for about the 4 th time this year, my 50 some year old string of knee dingers is intact.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Had an interesting experience going over Stevens Pass when I reached the bottom and found I had not plugged the trailer into the truck that morning. No trailer brakes...
Wasn't the brake controller displaying a "not connected" message (in whatever form your controller shows this)?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy didn't notice that the tow had become disconnected from the trailer. Drove several miles that way and when discovered, the plug was so worn, from dragging on the pavement, that he had to have it replaced.
I do a walk-around every time I stop.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Had an interesting experience going over Stevens Pass when I reached the bottom and found I had not plugged the trailer into the truck that morning. No trailer brakes and the truck had enough brake capacity that I didn't even realize it. Makes a statement about having a light trailer and enough reserve capacity in the tow vehicle.
It may have felt fine (although I would certainly notice that), but it would have been inadequate in a situation in which hard braking was required. In normal driving (without a trailer), most drivers wouldn't even notice if three of the four brakes on the vehicle were not connected, and they were braking with only one rear wheel... because normal driving requires very little of the brakes.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Welcome to the forum Paul.
I would also suggest you go look at both the 19 and a 21, quite a bit of difference in size between them. Call the factory and get the names and numbers of folks in your area that will show you theirs, find a sort of local rally, or take a trip to the factory. You should be fine towing either.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Re: Hooking up

Someone on the Forum mentioned that when hooking up they make sure they don't get distracted by anything else and that they do everything in the same sequence.

We try to follow this as "best practise." This summer I noticed that we got distracted while hooking up and saying goodby to our adult children at the same time. When doing the final walk-around I noticed we had not done something. I can't remember what we forgot now [hey I'm retired] BUT that underscored the importance of staying focussed and doing everything in the same sequence. Liz and I also double check each other.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #18

I do not like distractions when I'm in the "hookup zone" either. I usually stand by the hitch for a little bit , just staring at it when I'm done and once in a while I pick up something that's been left undone. This includes stowing my stabilizer boards, chocks, stabilizers and step.
If my controller is not connected, there's only a red dot on the display when brakes are applied.. When I'm connected, the reading shows a voltage ( I think it's voltage anyway). I tow in regular flat interstate or state highway at 1.5 but in the mountains 2.0 and in Chicago traffic at
65 mph, I crank it to 2.5 which will smoke em if I need to lock them up. Works for me the last 30,000 miles. Brake shoes are at over 50,000 and I'll change them this winter. I am an anticipatory driver and still had over 1/3 pads on the Highlander at 124,000 miles this last spring when I had them done.
Iowa "easy does it" Dave
Old 09-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a laminated check list. At times I get lazy and figure I don't need to refer to it, but then I do, and find I missed something.
This is my list. Tire pressure may not be correct for your tires, for instance, but it is a basis to make your own list.

Drive Away Checklist

SPARE KEYS

Inside Checks:

Loose Items Stored
Windows Closed
Blinds secure
Tank levels
Battery level
Thermostat OFF
Water Heater OFF
Water Pump OFF
Shower / Sink Drains CLOSED
Stove Cover DOWN
Screen Door FASTENED
Fridge Door Shelves LIGHT
Fan OFF
Roof Vents ( Bathroom / Fan ) CLOSED
TP and Paper Towels SECURED
Door LOCKED
Step STORED / SECURE

Outside Checks:

Tire Pressure 60-65 psi.
Note: Lower Pressure = Lower Load
Range Hood Vent LOCKED
Power DISCONNECT
Water DISCONNECT
Rock Shield DOWN AND LOCKED
Awning LOCKED
Stabilizer Jacks UP & TIGHT
Wheel Blocks STORED
Equalizer Bars LEVEL & SECURE
Chains IN PLACE
Hitch LOCKED
Brake / Signal Lights OK
Step STORED / SECURE
Attached Thumbnails
3M hooks and check list.jpg  
Old 09-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #20

Hi Glenn,
Your list looks very similar to ours with one exception. I had to put Wife: on board , after I left her in a gas station in Quebec years ago. And that's the troof.
Dave