Towing Concern - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Question Towing Concern

We are newbies and heard of the Escape brand on our very first RV holiday. We rented an A class to see if we would do this in retirement and found that while we enjoyed the experience we do not want such a huge RV. We have an SUV that has a towing capacity of 7710 lbs. We are very fond of the 19' unit. We ask for your honest expertise if this SUV can pull this unit comfortably without a gargantuan slow down going up inclines, also knowing we will have the sway bar package for safety.

Paul Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome, Paul!

You will have no problem at all towing the 19 with that towing capacity. The 19 is a very nice unit. You will not need sway bars, and even a WDH (weight distribution hitch) may not be needed, but certainly would not hurt.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Welcome, Paul!

You will have no problem at all towing the 19 with that towing capacity. The 19 is a very nice unit. You will not need sway bars, and even a WDH (weight distribution hitch) may not be needed, but certainly would not hurt.
We thank you for your quick response and word's of wisdom. We believed the same but wanted to hear from the experts that have done this
Paul Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
welcome to the forum

and...

Maybe consider a 21' ?

that way you avoid 2 foot itis.

you have plenty of towing capacity for a 21'

just a thought...... tons of good info here for researching.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21
Just a guess, but if the towing capacity is 7710, it sounds like it might be one of the European units. They all seen to have this towing capacity. What they don't have is a comparable tongue weight. Some have only 500lbs or so. I suggest checking the tongue weight as well to make sure it's adequate

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
Just a guess, but if the towing capacity is 7710, it sounds like it might be one of the European units. They all seen to have this towing capacity. What they don't have is a comparable tongue weight. Some have only 500lbs or so. I suggest checking the tongue weight as well to make sure it's adequate
It could be a Volkswagen Touareg, or the same vehicle under the Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne names, and those have over 600 pounds of hitch weight capacity; however, that's still a valid point: check all of the capacity limits, and be aware the hitch weight capacity is the one which might be an issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Nielsen View Post
We have an SUV that has a towing capacity of 7710 lbs. We are very fond of the 19' unit. We ask for your honest expertise if this SUV can pull this unit comfortably without a gargantuan slow down going up inclines...
The towing capacity says very little about grade-climbing performance, but with all Escapes weighing comfortably less than this SUV is supposed to be able to handle, it would be reasonable to expect decent performance. With more specific information (what SUV, with which engine), someone may be able to set more specific expectations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I tow the my 19 with a Ford Ranger, with a canopy and kayaks. Been from the lowest to highest points in the US. Little slow on the really steep high stuff but not an issue. With your capacity you'd probably be passing me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Just completed a "wander" from Idaho to Chilliwack and back via Olympic NP and Ranier NP. Pulled our 2013 19 with a 2014 1500 5.3 Silverado (towing wt posted at 7100 lbs). Had an interesting experience going over Stevens Pass when I reached the bottom and found I had not plugged the trailer into the truck that morning. No trailer brakes and the truck had enough brake capacity that I didn't even realize it. Makes a statement about having a light trailer and enough reserve capacity in the tow vehicle. We also don't need a weight distributing hitch so it's a snap to hook up and unhook as well.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
Just completed a "wander" from Idaho to Chilliwack and back via Olympic NP and Ranier NP. Pulled our 2013 19 with a 2014 1500 5.3 Silverado (towing wt posted at 7100 lbs). Had an interesting experience going over Stevens Pass when I reached the bottom and found I had not plugged the trailer into the truck that morning. No trailer brakes and the truck had enough brake capacity that I didn't even realize it. Makes a statement about having a light trailer and enough reserve capacity in the tow vehicle. We also don't need a weight distributing hitch so it's a snap to hook up and unhook as well.
Yikes.

Glad everyone is ok. Could have been a disaster.

And

My wife never ever complains about having to check the trailer brake lights every time we hook up

And she doesn't complain when I religiously walk around the trailer after every single stop to look at everything and check.

I think I'll keep my routine.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote