Towing curved Classic vs straight wall - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
Towing curved Classic vs straight wall

I was scanning a motorhome's website last week and they claimed they put a slight curve into the sidewalls for less wind resistance. They said a straight wall RV would be affected more in a passing situation with a semi-trailer. The curve wasn't that pronounced but the thought still was with me. The question I pose, if anyone has experience pulling the Classic trailers and the 2017 versions, is there any noticeable difference with wind? I've also wondered if some difference might be offset by the removal of the awning arms. I realize the new units are not "square" so it might not be noticeable - but would enjoy some feedback. Thinking of warmer weather and "Escaping" the cold... Thanks!
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandS View Post
I was scanning a motorhome's website last week and they claimed they put a slight curve into the sidewalls for less wind resistance. They said a straight wall RV would be affected more in a passing situation with a semi-trailer. The curve wasn't that pronounced but the thought still was with me. The question I pose, if anyone has experience pulling the Classic trailers and the 2017 versions, is there any noticeable difference with wind? I've also wondered if some difference might be offset by the removal of the awning arms. I realize the new units are not "square" so it might not be noticeable - but would enjoy some feedback. Thinking of warmer weather and "Escaping" the cold... Thanks!
The curve isn't going to reduce the buffeting much at all from a straight wall for the passing vehicles. Just not enough airspeed involved; not like an aircraft.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The curved sides will reduce some buffeting and also reduce wind resistance. But, my guess is that the "reduction" would be so slight that you can't notice it.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
As for pulling both versions, cpaharley would be the in house authority on this one. And as Robert said, I don't see if you could notice it. But it would be interesting to see both in a wind tunnel test. I think the rounded corners help as much as anything. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
You can tell where the biggest wind resistance is because that's the surface the bugs are stuck to. Next time you're at a rally just go over and start counting the bugs I've experienced no difference in towing between the 2014 and 2016, but there sure were a lot of bugs on the awning arms of the old model. The wheelbase of the 2nd generation is slightly wider which probably adds more stability in cross winds, not that we've noticed any of that while towing. Its a blissful towing experience with either of them.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
The wheelbase of the 2nd generation is slightly wider which probably adds more stability in cross winds, not that we've noticed any of that while towing.
It's track width (not wheelbase), but I agree that the four-inch increase in track should improve stability. It is probably more significant to handling side wind forces than any aerodynamic effect of the curve.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have towed both the classic and the new style, little or -0- towing difference. But as Dave points out, the bug quotient seems higher on the classic with's its awning arms. The new style is more sleek with no arms and enclosed awning, may countereffect the more square shape.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Reminds me of when I was younger and even more foolish and still participated in the Scamp Yahoo group after I decided to sell it and get an Escape. I mentioned I was getting an Escape and someone claimed that my gas mileage would greatly drop because the Escapes were so much less aerodynamically shaped than Scamps. My comment was that the only way anything like that could be determined would be if both the tow and trailer were tested in towing configuration in a wind tunnel, as they essentially become one long vehicle in aero. Anybody good friends with Roger Penske?

My mileage towing the 17B or the Scamp 16 with our Tacoma were identical.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
Thank you

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure the motorhome people were using the curved wall as a selling point - whether noticeable or not.

I do enjoy this forum and have learned a lot here. I look forward to being an Escape owner in the future. --Randy
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Reminds me of when I was younger and even more foolish and still participated in the Scamp Yahoo group after I decided to sell it and get an Escape. I mentioned I was getting an Escape and someone claimed that my gas mileage would greatly drop because the Escapes were so much less aerodynamically shaped than Scamps.
I get the same mileage towing Ten Forward as I got towing my 16' Scamp! But I also bought a new truck. Huge difference in MPG between a 2000 Ford with a V8 Triton and a 2014 Ford w/ecoboost.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
The curved sides obviously would improve aerodynamics, but we would be hard pressed to measure the difference. Anything that disturbs the air, like awning bars and square corners are going to add drag, and weight increase would detract from economy of motion. Headwinds and mountain grades effects are much more feelable. Hard to beat a 13' Scamp for economy, but the larger trailers have their plusses!
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
I parked next to this lil Scamp 13 last night at Walmart. I'll bet it has less than half the drag of our trailer. Fully rounded, one third the weight, low to the ground, narrower, smaller tires, and much cleaner awning, and cute as a bug!
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp13walmart.jpg  
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote