Towing escape 5.0 with Toyota tundra - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mike,
two questions, can you provide a link for your Andersen set up and what kind of mileage are you getting with your Ram? Thanks
Old 07-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Gasoline at 8 lbs/gal would lower payload.
Payload is a concern (as this discussion confirms) but gasoline weighs 6 pounds per US gallon - it's significantly less dense than water, which is 8 lbs/USgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Would need a fuel pump of the correct pressure , filter and a switching valve. Gas tanks are now regulated by the emission systems. A fuel transfer pump in an auxilllary fuel container would probably be your only option.
I agree that integrated additional tanks are not easy, and that transferring to the regular tank from an auxiliary tank is the most practical approach... it's commonly done in diesel pickups.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Jim: Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection should be it

Mike, with you on wearing out the Ram first. Still enjoying my own V8 rumble. Will be interesting to read about real world towing with the Nissan Cummins in the coming months and years though. Also will be tickled to see how the Big 3 respond.

Laura: jerry cans as needed.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Boy, that new 2016 Nissan diesel is looking better every day
Although there will be two different versions of the new Titan, the one getting all the attention is the XD. It has a Cummins diesel, but the rest of the truck is also different from the regular version, for higher capacity. Nissan is targeting the market for trucks with a diesel engine and load capacity higher than the "1/2 tons" (Chev/GMC 1500, Ram 1500, Ford F-150, Toyota Tundra) but in a lighter truck than the "3/4 ton" diesels (Chev/GMC 2500, Ram 2500, Ford F-250). For people needing more payload than the 1/2 tons, due to pin weight and/or passengers and cargo, this seems like an option worth considering.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #25
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, along the lines of towing the 5.0TA with the Tundra (which is what we're thinking of getting) - has anyone added an extra fuel tank to theirs? And how would that affect the towing ability? Can one be put in front of the 5th wheel hitch assembly? Or would it be better to put one under the truck?

Thanks
Supposedly for 2015 Tundra offered a factory bigger fuel tank (38? gallon vs standard 26 & integrated trailer brake controller) but neither items have seem to come to fruition. They may actually be available for the 2016 model year though. Transfer Flow Inc. does currently offer a 46 gallon replacement tank for $1,200.

But either way as Bob indicated a larger fuel tank (factory or aftermarket) will lower payload capacity.

If you want higher payload capacity (in a Tundra) you have to get a smaller cab size. Bed length weighs less than cab length thus a regular cab with 8' bed has a payload capacity of ~2k lbs.. The Tundra isn't "truck enough" to offer a high payload capacity option like the big three seem to offer in their half tons.

I've had A LOT of block in the back of my Crewmax Tundra (over the rear axle) and the front end did "float" around quite a bit. Yesterday I had 600lbs. of concrete (between axle and tailgate) and you could tell, but not near as bad as the block. If I had put the concrete over the rear axle (like a fifth wheel would be) it'd probably be pretty manageable. But if I was getting a 5.0 I might look into air bags depending on how the truck felt after a couple tows.

[edit]added specific Crewmax reference for my Tundra as Tundra cab size affects payload capcity[/edit]
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mike,
two questions, can you provide a link for your Andersen set up and what kind of mileage are you getting with your Ram? Thanks
Jim, below is the link to the Anderson at Amazon. I have found the same at other sites, but none cheaper. As for gas mileage, I verify between lower 15 and upper 16 mpg. I cant say that I am easy on the gas, and seem to drive over a lot of mountain passes so the mpg is not too bad considering my driving style. Again, I highly recommend the hitch, it really does tow better and is much easier to handle, especially installing and removing.

http://www.amazon.com/3200-Ultimate-...BKDP3Y8FGVTDGK
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #27

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
towing a 5th wheel

We are looking at a 19 5.0 escape it's almost a done deal . A few questions if we go with Anderson ultimate hitch gooseneck how do we attach to bed of truck . I looked at rails that get bolted to truck bed but they said they would not work ?? How many 5.0 and 5.0TA use the Anderson gooseneck hitch ? Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We are looking at a 19 5.0 escape it's almost a done deal . A few questions if we go with Anderson ultimate hitch gooseneck how do we attach to bed of truck . I looked at rails that get bolted to truck bed but they said they would not work ?? How many 5.0 and 5.0TA use the Anderson gooseneck hitch ? Jim
Hi: Jennykatz... Here's a pic or two of Husky 16K EZRoller rail hitch http://www.huskytow.com in a Nissan Frontier. For a short box Fronty you will probably require a Pin Extender. They will also work in a Taco but require in both cases an installer who know what he's doing.
Also a pic of rear stabilizers on the 5.0...not intended for leveling but to reduce side to side motion. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020904.jpg   P1020907.jpg   P1010615.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #29

Quote:
A few questions if we go with Anderson ultimate hitch gooseneck how do we attach to bed of truck . I looked at rails that get bolted to truck bed but they said they would not work ?
Who said what would not work? The Escape wouldn't work with the Andersen Ultimate, the Andersen Ultimate wouldn't work with the rails, or the rails wouldn't work with the truck? There are a few links in this chain...

The coupler of the Andersen Ultimate system attaches to the pin and pinbox. This is an industry standard (Escape happens to be using a Lippert pinbox currently and used an Atwood pinbox previously, but it doesn't matter), so it will work with an Escape 5.0 (or 5.0TA).

The Andersen Ultimate hitch (ball and mounting frame) comes in two versions with different attachment systems. The one with four tabs on the bottom is designed to go into rails on the bed floor which are used by various brands of fifth-wheel hitch. Those rails are bolted - through the bed floor - into brackets which are attached to the frame. It doesn't matter whether you are using the Andersen Ultimate or a fifth-wheel hitch, the rails are the same so if it works for one it will work for the other.

Unfortunately, there are frame-to-rail bracket kits only for some models of truck, so not everyone can use this system easily. Fortunately, all brands of rails are interchangeable, so if one brand doesn't have brackets for your truck, another one might. Common brands include Reese, Curt, and Husky. Bracket kits are available for essentially all heavier-duty pickups ("3/4 ton" and "1 ton"), for most full-size "1/2 ton" pickups, and for only some mid-sized trucks.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Who said what would not work? The Escape wouldn't work with the Andersen Ultimate, the Andersen Ultimate wouldn't work with the rails, or the rails wouldn't work with the truck? There are a few links in this chain...

The coupler of the Andersen Ultimate system attaches to the pin and pinbox. This is an industry standard (Escape happens to be using a Lippert pinbox currently and used an Atwood pinbox previously, but it doesn't matter), so it will work with an Escape 5.0 (or 5.0TA).

The Andersen Ultimate hitch (ball and mounting frame) comes in two versions with different attachment systems. The one with four tabs on the bottom is designed to go into rails on the bed floor which are used by various brands of fifth-wheel hitch. Those rails are bolted - through the bed floor - into brackets which are attached to the frame. It doesn't matter whether you are using the Andersen Ultimate or a fifth-wheel hitch, the rails are the same so if it works for one it will work for the other.

Unfortunately, there are frame-to-rail bracket kits only for some models of truck, so not everyone can use this system easily. Fortunately, all brands of rails are interchangeable, so if one brand doesn't have brackets for your truck, another one might. Common brands include Reese, Curt, and Husky. Bracket kits are available for essentially all heavier-duty pickups ("3/4 ton" and "1 ton"), for most full-size "1/2 ton" pickups, and for only some mid-sized trucks.
Brian, you are absolutely correct, the Andersen Ultimate will work with the bed rails. You just make certain you purchase the bed rail version. There are no modifications needed to the bed rails, the Andersen drops right into a standard 5th wheel bed rail set up.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #31
T&R

Quote:
If I had a fifth wheel trailer I'd seriously look into this gooseneck setup with offset 5th wheel to goosneck adapter. Seems pretty slick and Tundra compatible.

Toyota Hitch and Gooseneck Hitch
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Claude, we just picked up our 5.0 four days ago and have a Tundra 1794. We are currently here in BC Canada and have climbed multiple mountains over the past three days. It seems to be holding its own and I am very pleased with the performance.....well, maybe not the gas mileage! Otherwise, It does just fine.
MacMan
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 19 escape
Thanks MacMan, glad that you are enjoying the rig what kind of mileage your getting?
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #34

Oh, you don't want to hear about the mileage! We left Texas about a month ago. Mileage went from 14.5 to 15.5 over time. Now that I have picked up the trailer I am back down to 15.3. Whatever, I love the Tundra and would do it again...it's a Toyota and the only time I should have it in the repair shop is for routine maintenance.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #35
T&R

MacMan, I'm thinking you have the 5.7 which is rated 13/17 so I feel 15 on the road towing is not bad at all! I'm picking up my 21 in four weeks and will report my mileage for comparison.

Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Oh, you don't want to hear about the mileage! We left Texas about a month ago. Mileage went from 14.5 to 15.5 over time. Now that I have picked up the trailer I am back down to 15.3. Whatever, I love the Tundra and would do it again...it's a Toyota and the only time I should have it in the repair shop is for routine maintenance.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #36

Excellent. Good luck picking it up. Orientation was great. We stayed the first night in Cultus Lake and took a driving lesson the next day. Worked out just fine.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Hi Claude,

I want to echo the concern about carrying weight. With our Escape 21 the hitch weight is far less than the Escape 5 TA's weight, but we are very near the limit of what our 2005 Tundra can carry. However we carry a boat, motors (gas and electric), generator, canopy and lots of fishing gear plus generator. If you carry much gear or many passengers then a 5th wheel could be a problem, at least if you want to keep within the legal limits for your vehicle. I should tell you that in my limited experience with trucks, our 1996 Ford F150 was scary carrying the same load and pulling the same trailer as our Tundra (Ford: less power; poor brakes; terrible suspension). Both trucks were at their carrying capacity, but the Tundra was sooo much better. I gather that the new Fords are also much better, or so I'm told.

Towing weight with a Tundra isn't an issue for either a 19, 21 or 5.0TA. Even fully loaded with gear we are way below our GCVW and that with a 2005 4.7 L Tundra (285 hp). On our most challenging hills on the Coquihalla pass in BC we can do 80 kph up the steepest inclines. With your 5.7 L and a slightly lighter Escape 19 you should be smokin' up hills like a hot damn.

Driving the Coquihalla to Kamloops FULLY loaded we get between 12-13 mpg. If we were driving flatter terrain and with a bit less gear I think it might be as high as 15 mpg. On the highway around the Lower Mainland (Vancouver area for non BC'ers) I don't get better than 20 mpg.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Same here MacMan, we love the Tundra, solid and give us a nice ride
Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Hi Claude,

I want to echo the concern about carrying weight. With our Escape 21 the hitch weight is far less than the Escape 5 TA's weight, but we are very near the limit of what our 2005 Tundra can carry. However we carry a boat, motors (gas and electric), generator, canopy and lots of fishing gear plus generator. If you carry much gear or many passengers then a 5th wheel could be a problem, at least if you want to keep within the legal limits for your vehicle. I should tell you that in my limited experience with trucks, our 1996 Ford F150 was scary carrying the same load and pulling the same trailer as our Tundra (Ford: less power; poor brakes; terrible suspension). Both trucks were at their carrying capacity, but the Tundra was sooo much better. I gather that the new Fords are also much better, or so I'm told.

Towing weight with a Tundra isn't an issue for either a 19, 21 or 5.0TA. Even fully loaded with gear we are way below our GCVW and that with a 2005 4.7 L Tundra (285 hp). On our most challenging hills on the Coquihalla pass in BC we can do 80 kph up the steepest inclines. With your 5.7 L and a slightly lighter Escape 19 you should be smokin' up hills like a hot damn.

Driving the Coquihalla to Kamloops FULLY loaded we get between 12-13 mpg. If we were driving flatter terrain and with a bit less gear I think it might be as high as 15 mpg. On the highway around the Lower Mainland (Vancouver area for non BC'ers) I don't get better than 20 mpg.

Bob K
Thanks for the info Bob. Can´t wait to get our 19 suppose to be ready by the end of October. We are thinking to get down south for a couple months. We have not decided where yet.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #40

Trailer: 5.0TA
A question for those with a 5.0TA and short bed pickup tow vehicle -- is anyone using a standard fifth wheel with slider option? Or not using a slider and wish they had a slider? I am still undecided between a standard fifth wheel hitch (with or without slider) and the Andersen Ultimate, I have read the comments here and all I can say is that I now feel strongly both ways between the Andersen and standard fifth wheel hitch. Thanks for your help.
oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote