Towing in the Frontier - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Fran & Dave,

It sounds like you're home now... have you had a chance to get to a scale and see what load there is on each axle with the 5.0 hitched to the short-box Frontier?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Alf,

I qualify as a wanna bee, I have the Frontier, still missing the Escape. I retire at the end of the year and will be moving to another home that has a secured area were I can store the 5.0-. Plan to order sometime next year, either before or after we move...

Mike

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: FMLNM... I believe our 5.0 is a little older than yours. Our pin box is an Atwood 10,000#er. The drop is 1&1/2" per bolt hole and that moves the pin ahead by the same amt. Yours is in the farthest, ours is mid point and a friend of ours with an S10 sport truck has his out the farthest. He also had Reace lower the axle so his trailer sits lower to the truck...very sleek!!!
Did you have the bathroom window added and the solar panels too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg letting out pin box.jpg (81.8 KB, 14 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Alf,

I qualify as a wanna bee, I have the Frontier, still missing the Escape. I retire at the end of the year and will be moving to another home that has a secured area were I can store the 5.0-. Plan to order sometime next year, either before or after we move...

Mike
Hi: Scuba55... My plan was to by the trailer when I retired. We've had the trailer 5 yrs. now...and I'm still working...but not for long. Alf
Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Sorry Brian...we haven't gotten to that yet. Today we finally got it registered and backed into its spot near our house. We need to test the fridge on electric and propane.
Perhaps in the next few weeks we'll get it out to weigh...have to take it about 40 miles away to do that.
Fran & Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Fran & Dave,

It sounds like you're home now... have you had a chance to get to a scale and see what load there is on each axle with the 5.0 hitched to the short-box Frontier?
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
I just checked and our pin box is also Atwood 10,000# rated.
Yes, we had the bathroom window added...and also an emergency hatch over the queen bed. We like them both a lot.
We did have the solar added but haven't had an opportunity to really use it yet. We are in the process of swapping out the standard light bulbs with LEDs.
Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: FMLNM... I believe our 5.0 is a little older than yours. Our pin box is an Atwood 10,000#er. The drop is 1&1/2" per bolt hole and that moves the pin ahead by the same amt. Yours is in the farthest, ours is mid point and a friend of ours with an S10 sport truck has his out the farthest. He also had Reace lower the axle so his trailer sits lower to the truck...very sleek!!!
Did you have the bathroom window added and the solar panels too!!! Alf
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
This is our third summer with the fiver and Frontier long bed. We are in Yellowstone now on the way to Chilliwack for some upgrades. The best mileage I have got this trip was17 crossing Iowa and Nebraska with a tailwind. The worst was 13 between Cheyenne and Cody and west to the park.
I drive 60 - 62. I can hold that speed on any hill so far, but the rpms go way up so I usually let it drop to 50. Since the speed limit in the park is 45 that works out well.

Dick
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Hi Alf,

I think about retirement every day. I know it is time for me to leave, New Years Day is my planned exit, then I will Escape!! I have a feeling you feel the same as I-.

One question if you don't mind. When towing your 5.0 with the Frontier, do you feel the mirrors are adequate without adding the after market extensions?

Thanks,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Our pin box is an Atwood 10,000#er. The drop is 1&1/2" per bolt hole and that moves the pin ahead by the same amt. Yours is in the farthest, ours is mid point and a friend of ours with an S10 sport truck has his out the farthest.
Thanks Alf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
I just checked and our pin box is also Atwood 10,000# rated.
Thanks Fran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Perhaps in the next few weeks we'll get it out to weigh...have to take it about 40 miles away to do that.
No rush - when it happens, it happens. I'm just curious.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Hi Alf,

I think about retirement every day. I know it is time for me to leave, New Years Day is my planned exit, then I will Escape!! I have a feeling you feel the same as I-.

One question if you don't mind. When towing your 5.0 with the Frontier, do you feel the mirrors are adequate without adding the after market extensions?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi: Scuba55... The mirrors on the Frontier are fine IMHO. I do tilt them in more so I can see a bit past the trailer. On a wider 5th. wheel trailer I'd think extensions are in order.
My work day consists of driving a transit bus with no back window so I only see what's beside me