Towing in the Frontier - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie Escape View Post
I've ordered a 10" King pin extender (that will probably have to be welded to my present 5.0) from Tweety's.
Is this the PopUp Industries RV5 Fifth Wheel 10 Inch Extended King Pin? If so, I'm not sure why welding would be required: it requires welding if the pin box is smaller than 10"x10", but the Escape 5.0 (classic) pin boxes I've seen are 12" square... do you have a smaller one?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #42

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Is this the PopUp Industries RV5 Fifth Wheel 10 Inch Extended King Pin? If so, I'm not sure why welding would be required: it requires welding if the pin box is smaller than 10"x10", but the Escape 5.0 (classic) pin boxes I've seen are 12" square... do you have a smaller one?
Yes, that's the extender .... I'm just not sure how it attaches to our pin box, which is in fact 12x12. I'm supposing Reace isn't sure how it attaches either. He wrote "The concept is good, it is just the fit that I think may be a challenge." I take that to mean the 5.0 structure is adequate, but how the extender attaches is a question.
It will be interesting to see what the turning radius will be before the cab comes into play. The pivot point will be closer to the cab, but the arm will be longer, placing the 5.0 a little further away on the sides.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #43

Trailer: none
Just joined and glad to see pics and read stories of V6's pulling the trailers. We've got a just like Nissan Frontier, Suzuki Equator Quad cab. We don't have our trailer yet but plan on the 21 foot version. How y'all doing pulling these with a V6; anyone? Thanks
kookyburns1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #44

Quote:
Yes, that's the extender .... I'm just not sure how it attaches to our pin box, which is in fact 12x12.
The installation instructions from the manufacturer show how the pin is clamped and the extender is bolted to the plate of the pin box. As long as either you have access into the pin box (which I believe is open on the back, so you would) or the pin box is a thick enough plate to tap holes, you can bolt on the extender.

Quote:
I'm supposing Reace isn't sure how it attaches either. He wrote "The concept is good, it is just the fit that I think may be a challenge." I take that to mean the 5.0 structure is adequate, but how the extender attaches is a question.
Good news about the structure

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the turning radius will be before the cab comes into play. The pivot point will be closer to the cab, but the arm will be longer, placing the 5.0 a little further away on the sides.
Moving the pivot forward while keeping the total distance the same means that the conflict happens sooner, unless the trailer corner ends up tucked around the side of the cab, which is determined by cab width and how rounded the corners of everything are (since the trailer corners will be further out to the side when turned). I just suggest checking it out, and being prepared for it to look a little different so you might need to watch a different critical point.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The installation instructions from the manufacturer show how the pin is clamped and the extender is bolted to the plate of the pin box. As long as either you have access into the pin box (which I believe is open on the back, so you would) or the pin box is a thick enough plate to tap holes, you can bolt on the extender.

Good news about the structure

Moving the pivot forward while keeping the total distance the same means that the conflict happens sooner, unless the trailer corner ends up tucked around the side of the cab, which is determined by cab width and how rounded the corners of everything are (since the trailer corners will be further out to the side when turned). I just suggest checking it out, and being prepared for it to look a little different so you might need to watch a different critical point.
I guess my questions about mounting the extender revolved around the fact that my king pin plate doesn't have any holes in it .... so they will have to be drilled to keep the extender from rotating. The directions you sent help a lot as it shows the king pin clamp! nice! And yes, the back is open, although working in there won't be a picnic : - (

Exactly, it will look different ... turning and backing up a 5.0 is different anyway, but this will again be different. I THINK the trailer will be more "wrapped around the cab" than what I experienced in the past (when turning) ... but be sure, I'll take her to a big parking lot and do some experimenting : - ) Will let everyone know how it goes, with pictures.
One other consideration is that the extender lowers the pin 3 1/2". Which means if I only lower the hitch on the truck, then the swing of the extender may contact the walls of my truck?? So, I'll probably need to shorten my king pin extension on the 5.0 as well.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Hokie Escape... All of this mess could have been avoided if the other driver had been paying attention to the road!!! I'm just sorry you have to go thru all the aggravation. I'm sure it will all be adjusted in the end. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Hokie Escape... All of this mess could have been avoided if the other driver had been paying attention to the road!!! I'm just sorry you have to go thru all the aggravation. I'm sure it will all be adjusted in the end. Alf
Yep, I'm just glad I wasn't in the truck when the guys hit me!!!!!
Well, it's like starting over again, almost. But, once I get the tow fixed up, I'm sure I'll be happy : - ) Actually I'm happy now, just a little aggravated about the whole deal!
You two are gonna have to stop by again sometime after you get your new TA!!!! Sounds GREAT! Keep me in the loop when you are headed West ....
Old 05-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookyburns1952 View Post
Just joined and glad to see pics and read stories of V6's pulling the trailers. We've got a just like Nissan Frontier, Suzuki Equator Quad cab. We don't have our trailer yet but plan on the 21 foot version. How y'all doing pulling these with a V6; anyone? Thanks
Don't know about the Suzuki engine/transmission, but the Frontier hardly knows the 5.0 is behind it, even on long grades!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Don't know about the Suzuki engine/transmission, but the Frontier hardly knows the 5.0 is behind it, even on long grades!
Hi: Hokie Escape... Headin' west on the 26th. May.
Suzuki Equator/Nissan Frontier same truck...built on the same assembly line in Canton Miss. now!!!
We hope to travel more once I convince the boss to retire too. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Dan,
Sorry about your truck.
Glad you are OK.

Dick
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #51

Thx Dick ... We're gonna have to meet up sometime, somewhere in The Valley!
Dan
Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #52

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Our last trip

We just returned from a 4400 km (2750 mile) trip pulling our 5.0 with our 2011 Frontier. We traveled from Calgary, down through Montana, Idaho, Oregon, up the coast to Washington, up to B.C., and back along highway 3 to Calgary. Whew!

We went up (and down) a LOT OF PASSES, and avoided interstates at all cost. If I did it right, there is an attached pic of our rig at the top of Lolo Pass in Idaho. We also pulled up the Kootenay (Salmo-Creston) pass, which is higher and steeper (5823 ft).

We never felt under powered, but we did not push it either. I just calculated the mileage for the trip -- we averaged 19.7 miles per imperial gallon (16.4 mpg US), which we are very happy with.

Does anyone else track their mileage?

Sharon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lolo pass.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	6271
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
We just returned from a 4400 km (2750 mile) trip pulling our 5.0 with our 2011 Frontier. ... I just calculated the mileage for the trip -- we averaged 19.7 miles per imperial gallon (16.4 mpg US), which we are very happy with.

Does anyone else track their mileage?

Sharon.

Attachment 6271
We usually get about 14 to 15mpg with our rig. 2008 5.0 pulled by 2011 Frontier Pro-4X.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #54

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
We don't have the 4 wheel drive, which might explain the difference

Sharon
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
We don't have the 4 wheel drive, which might explain the difference

Sharon
I think so too. My understanding is that 4wd vehicles get a little worse mileage than the same 2wd even when not using the 4wd feature.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
My understanding is that 4wd vehicles get a little worse mileage than the same 2wd even when not using the 4wd feature.
Yes, due to extra weight and extra moving parts (because some parts move even when not driving the vehicle). Also, 4WD vehicles tend to have different tires with more drag (due to blocky tread patterns and extra width), although that is certainly not required for 4WD. 4WD vehicles also tend to be set up to sit higher off the ground than the 2WD version of the same vehicle, creating more aerodynamic drag (although this would not be significant while trailer towing). All of these factors probably apply to the Frontier to some extent.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:33 AM   #57

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Cool Frontier??

Good topic..we are awaiting our new E-21, and have already sold our 17'Casita Independence. Camperless is killing us, but we are also awaiting a new grandchild next week and so we're gonna be staying home this fall anyways..so here goes: We towed our Casita for two seasons, easily, with our 2017 Frontier Dbl Cab, long-bed 2wd V6 truck. WE bought the long bed for the extra 14" of wheelbase and longer bed..our is covered w a bak-Flip for security. AS I said..the Fronty was decent at hauling the 17' Casita, and during that time we ran into several E21 campers who were towing with various rigs..Ford F150s, Tundras, Frontiers AND EVEN A TOYOTA HIGHLANDER. Nobody we talked to complained about their tow vehicles. I guess we're going to just try the Fronty..we hate to part with it bks we got a real deal on it from a friend [who is a Nissan Dlr!] and it hauls a buncha stuff in that long bed, and still has room for 2-3 in the rear seat. My ?? is..are we going to be OK with the V6 Frontier or will it be overwhelmed with a 21'?
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #58

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I towed over 100K mi. mostly Scamps, Casita's and cargo trailers with a 2007 Frontier for over 8 years, great truck. I bought a 7' wide cargo trailer which weighed about 4500 lbs. with my work tools. (About the same load as an E-21.) The truck had no problem pulling the trailer but I sold the trailer after 90 days. The trailer was wider than the truck so I needed tow mirrors and was a bit to deal with backing up. I think my Frontier had a four or 5 speed transmission at 4.5 K lbs. there was a lot of shifting. The wide body trailer really had a lot of wind resistance so towing mileage was decreased quite a bit.
When I started shopping for an Escape (E-21) the first thing I did was to buy a full size pick up. I still have the same trailer issues but with the larger pick up it is more comfortable and can better deal with the wider trailer. The big improvement towing was the 8 speed transmission and other trucks have 10 speed transmissions. With the Frontier it was always dropping into passing gear with the slightest grade, with the 8 speed you hardly notice down shifts.
IMO the Frontier will tow an E-21 but I was much happier towing with the full size pick up with the 8 speed transmission. YMMV Maybe Alf will comment, he towed for years with his Frontier but moved up to a full sized pick up with his 5TA.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
All Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Good topic..we are awaiting our new E-21, and have already sold our 17'Casita Independence. Camperless is killing us, but we are also awaiting a new grandchild next week and so we're gonna be staying home this fall anyways..so here goes: We towed our Casita for two seasons, easily, with our 2017 Frontier Dbl Cab, long-bed 2wd V6 truck. WE bought the long bed for the extra 14" of wheelbase and longer bed..our is covered w a bak-Flip for security. AS I said..the Fronty was decent at hauling the 17' Casita, and during that time we ran into several E21 campers who were towing with various rigs..Ford F150s, Tundras, Frontiers AND EVEN A TOYOTA HIGHLANDER. Nobody we talked to complained about their tow vehicles. I guess we're going to just try the Fronty..we hate to part with it bks we got a real deal on it from a friend [who is a Nissan Dlr!] and it hauls a buncha stuff in that long bed, and still has room for 2-3 in the rear seat. My ?? is..are we going to be OK with the V6 Frontier or will it be overwhelmed with a 21'?
Didn’t need the ALL CAPS to point out the Highlander like it was an unlikely tow vehicle. The 2018 and the 2012 we had before it pulled our 19 and out 21 and continue to pull the 21 all over the United States and to Canada via the Rocky Mountains with regularity, dependability, confidence and comfort. The 5,000 lb tow rating, 1,300 lb.+ cargo rating and the 500 lb. tongue rating are accurate and adequate. 232,000 miles between the two of them and I never added a quart of oil between changes. Mobile 1, full synthetic. Thank You.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think some of the confusion peps have about the Highlander is their failure to realize the variety of models Toyota makes. At one time I counted seven. They have a hybrid model up to a robust made for towing model. That towing version is being used by quite a large number of 21 owners. And they are long time owners. Something is working right for these folks.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote