Towing in the Frontier - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie Escape View Post
I've ordered a 10" King pin extender (that will probably have to be welded to my present 5.0) from Tweety's.
Is this the PopUp Industries RV5 Fifth Wheel 10 Inch Extended King Pin? If so, I'm not sure why welding would be required: it requires welding if the pin box is smaller than 10"x10", but the Escape 5.0 (classic) pin boxes I've seen are 12" square... do you have a smaller one?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Is this the PopUp Industries RV5 Fifth Wheel 10 Inch Extended King Pin? If so, I'm not sure why welding would be required: it requires welding if the pin box is smaller than 10"x10", but the Escape 5.0 (classic) pin boxes I've seen are 12" square... do you have a smaller one?
Yes, that's the extender .... I'm just not sure how it attaches to our pin box, which is in fact 12x12. I'm supposing Reace isn't sure how it attaches either. He wrote "The concept is good, it is just the fit that I think may be a challenge." I take that to mean the 5.0 structure is adequate, but how the extender attaches is a question.
It will be interesting to see what the turning radius will be before the cab comes into play. The pivot point will be closer to the cab, but the arm will be longer, placing the 5.0 a little further away on the sides.

Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #43

Trailer: none
Just joined and glad to see pics and read stories of V6's pulling the trailers. We've got a just like Nissan Frontier, Suzuki Equator Quad cab. We don't have our trailer yet but plan on the 21 foot version. How y'all doing pulling these with a V6; anyone? Thanks
kookyburns1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yes, that's the extender .... I'm just not sure how it attaches to our pin box, which is in fact 12x12.
The installation instructions from the manufacturer show how the pin is clamped and the extender is bolted to the plate of the pin box. As long as either you have access into the pin box (which I believe is open on the back, so you would) or the pin box is a thick enough plate to tap holes, you can bolt on the extender.

Quote:
I'm supposing Reace isn't sure how it attaches either. He wrote "The concept is good, it is just the fit that I think may be a challenge." I take that to mean the 5.0 structure is adequate, but how the extender attaches is a question.
Good news about the structure

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the turning radius will be before the cab comes into play. The pivot point will be closer to the cab, but the arm will be longer, placing the 5.0 a little further away on the sides.
Moving the pivot forward while keeping the total distance the same means that the conflict happens sooner, unless the trailer corner ends up tucked around the side of the cab, which is determined by cab width and how rounded the corners of everything are (since the trailer corners will be further out to the side when turned). I just suggest checking it out, and being prepared for it to look a little different so you might need to watch a different critical point.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The installation instructions from the manufacturer show how the pin is clamped and the extender is bolted to the plate of the pin box. As long as either you have access into the pin box (which I believe is open on the back, so you would) or the pin box is a thick enough plate to tap holes, you can bolt on the extender.

Good news about the structure

Moving the pivot forward while keeping the total distance the same means that the conflict happens sooner, unless the trailer corner ends up tucked around the side of the cab, which is determined by cab width and how rounded the corners of everything are (since the trailer corners will be further out to the side when turned). I just suggest checking it out, and being prepared for it to look a little different so you might need to watch a different critical point.
I guess my questions about mounting the extender revolved around the fact that my king pin plate doesn't have any holes in it .... so they will have to be drilled to keep the extender from rotating. The directions you sent help a lot as it shows the king pin clamp! nice! And yes, the back is open, although working in there won't be a picnic : - (

Exactly, it will look different ... turning and backing up a 5.0 is different anyway, but this will again be different. I THINK the trailer will be more "wrapped around the cab" than what I experienced in the past (when turning) ... but be sure, I'll take her to a big parking lot and do some experimenting : - ) Will let everyone know how it goes, with pictures.
One other consideration is that the extender lowers the pin 3 1/2". Which means if I only lower the hitch on the truck, then the swing of the extender may contact the walls of my truck?? So, I'll probably need to shorten my king pin extension on the 5.0 as well.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: Hokie Escape... All of this mess could have been avoided if the other driver had been paying attention to the road!!! I'm just sorry you have to go thru all the aggravation. I'm sure it will all be adjusted in the end. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Hokie Escape... All of this mess could have been avoided if the other driver had been paying attention to the road!!! I'm just sorry you have to go thru all the aggravation. I'm sure it will all be adjusted in the end. Alf
Yep, I'm just glad I wasn't in the truck when the guys hit me!!!!!
Well, it's like starting over again, almost. But, once I get the tow fixed up, I'm sure I'll be happy : - ) Actually I'm happy now, just a little aggravated about the whole deal!
You two are gonna have to stop by again sometime after you get your new TA!!!! Sounds GREAT! Keep me in the loop when you are headed West ....
Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookyburns1952 View Post
Just joined and glad to see pics and read stories of V6's pulling the trailers. We've got a just like Nissan Frontier, Suzuki Equator Quad cab. We don't have our trailer yet but plan on the 21 foot version. How y'all doing pulling these with a V6; anyone? Thanks
Don't know about the Suzuki engine/transmission, but the Frontier hardly knows the 5.0 is behind it, even on long grades!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Don't know about the Suzuki engine/transmission, but the Frontier hardly knows the 5.0 is behind it, even on long grades!
Hi: Hokie Escape... Headin' west on the 26th. May.
Suzuki Equator/Nissan Frontier same truck...built on the same assembly line in Canton Miss. now!!!
We hope to travel more once I convince the boss to retire too. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Dan,
Sorry about your truck.
Glad you are OK.

Dick