Towing in the Frontier - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Towing in the Frontier

Hi: There... So just how many of us are there towing with a Nissan Frontier anyway? How many wanna bees are there waiting in the wings with Frontiers to tow too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030266.jpg (401.6 KB, 27 views)

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
We just towed our new to us 2008 5.0 home from Chilliwack to New Mexico with a 2011 Frontier Crew Cab SHORT bed!
Seems to work fine. I'll be posting some pictures in the next day or so.
We had a B&W Patriot hitch installed by a local shop who rigged it to attach to the frame without drilling or welding the frame...which Nissan said would make our souls shrivel up and die. Or some other dire consequence related to the warranty or the ability to ever sell the truck as anything but salvage.
If we had been able to fit the 6 foot bed Frontier into our garage we would have gotten the bigger bed and I would recommend that to folks who have not yet purchased one....just simpler. But with a creative hitch shop the short bed works too.
Fran & Dave

FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #3

Trailer: not yet
Alf, if you are keeping tally, count me as a a wanna be with a Frontier. I actually learned of the recent super nice pricing on by reading this forum
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #4

Trailer: not yet
(Edit) "....learned of super nice pricing on 2012 model year Frontier...". My excuse for not proof reading is that the lights were going down and the performers were starting the second set.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Hi Fran and Dave,

I'm wondering, were you able to maintain a good speed, say 60 MPG on the freeway and how well did the Frontier perform in the mountains? The reason I am asking is that I too have a 2011 Frontier short bed, and am considering the 5.0.

Thanks,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Hi Mike,
The Frontier seemed to do fine. We had no trouble maintaining highway speed (usually travelled at about 60 to 62mph). It was a little slower on the mountain passes and long climbs but no worse than it was with the Scamp. Note, that we have the Pro4X 4WD model which has the towing package and Bilstein shocks.

Our average mpg for the entire return trip (1600 miles towing in all terrain) was about 15mpg. The mpg for the trip up (not towing) was about 20mpg.

Our impression is that the Escape tows/tracks a little better than the Scamp did and it does not seem to bounce like the Scamp did. We like the real fifth wheel hitch better than the Scamp proprietary hitch.
Hope that helps!
Fran & Dave
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #7

Fran and Dave,

Yes, that helps a lot. The towing mpg is actually better than I expected. I have the exact model you have and also is 2011 (white). I'm very encouraged by your experience. You've been a big help, thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed plus Escape 5.0

Here are some photos of our 2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4X with the 2008 Escape 5.0. We are using the B&W Patriot hitch mounted 29" from the back window. If need be we can change the pivot point of the hitch to 4" further back. Don't know if that will be necessary yet....so far the 29" has been enough.
The installation of the hitch required a creative hitch shop! Could not weld anything to the frame or drill into the frame or the truck's title would be limited to salvage according to Nissan. So they worked around that.

Fran & Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitch in bed.jpg (167.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg hitch from top.jpg (237.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg hitch from side.jpg (174.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg hitch bolt and bracket arrangement.jpg (213.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg attachment to bed support welded to frame.jpg (298.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Tow and Trailer at home.jpg (327.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Hitched up.jpg (159.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Frontier hitched closeup.jpg (346.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #9

Fran and Dave,

Very impressive! I'm sold, your truck is exactly the same as mine. Your hitch installer is local to where you live in NM? Also, do you feel you have enough storage space inside the trailer?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Yes, the hitch guys are here in New Mexico. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are planning to get the yet to be released, larger 5er then you might have trouble. The word is that it will be a little wider and that would increase the necessary distance from the cab....
I think we may be pretty close to the limit with our setup....
I think the storage will be fine in the trailer but we have not loaded it up yet. My sense is that it has a little less storage space than our 2005 Deluxe Scamp 5er but there are more overhead cabinets in the Escape so that may even it out.
Fran