Towing on a washboard road - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Interesting to hear you describe that as a "nasty" road. Do you mind expanding on why it was "nasty"?

I'm researching interesting backroads to explore on our upcoming trip through Yellowstone & Utah (since expanded to cover several portions of Idaho & Montana because of some tempting backcountry areas!).

In my research I've found the BLM Backcountry Byways Brochure (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...97653015,d.cGU), which grades their byways as Class 1 (suitable for normal passenger vehicles) through Class 4 (ORV only), and the Smithsonian Butte route is identified as Class 1.

I was expecting to be able to travel at least Class 1 & hopefully most Class 2 routes. Maybe I'm being too optimistic? Maybe its just a reminder that I have to always check with the ranger station about specific conditions at the time?

On previous trips, with a Boler 13, we've had no problems on some other roads identified as class 1/2 by the BLM.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Should I be disconnecting the WDH on roads with large dips and potholes?
The Alaska hwy. has some great sections of smooth pavement that suddenly have what we came to call "whoop de doops" (That was our warning cry when we spoted one coming up fast. ) Sudden dips that you don't have time to slow down for. My sense is the the WDH "settled down" the situation. Very subjective, I know, but my sense is that the WDH is a plus.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
If there are no clearance issues, I don't think it's necessary. On my Andersen hitch the brackets do hang down a bit, but not enough that I think they'd hit something. Any risk of that and I'd probably find another road!
Old 07-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Why? If there is a concern that the WD springs will apply excessive force when the angle between trailer and tug changes, then the WD springs are too stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If there are no clearance issues, I don't think it's necessary. On my Andersen hitch the brackets do hang down a bit, but not enough that I think they'd hit something.
If the brackets are too low, disconnecting the WDH will let the tongue drop lower and make the clearance problem greater.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
Interesting to hear you describe that as a "nasty" road. Do you mind expanding on why it was "nasty"?

Coming in from the 59, which is what we did, wasn't that bad. But exiting out toward Zion from the "campground" was terrible. I'm serious, DON'T do it. Very steep grades, washboards, huge dips and rocks. The only passerby I saw looked at me like I was nuts. It should not be classified as 1. It's worse than it looks.

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #26

Trailer: none
Quote:
Worst washboard road I ever drove on: Cottonwood Canyon Road, just east of Kodachrome Basin State Park in southern Utah. Deep 6" grooves, evenly spaced about a foot apart, followed by 18" ruts, then back to the washboard. Steep grades of about 10-12%, and sheer drop offs as the road switches back. Tried it out NOT towing, thinking I could save over 140 miles by using it to get to Kanab. No way. We were able to see Grosvenor Arch however, so washboards do get you into some spectacular country. I still would never have tried it with the trailer.

I guess I should have guessed from the little sign at the beginning of the road that reads "impassable when wet".
We were just there last week...but we left the trailer in Kodachrome Basin State Park and just drove Cottonwood Canyon Road with our pickup from the Park to Grosvenor Arch ... the road was closed just south of the Grosvenor Arch turnoff due to flooding....
Beautiful area and Kodachrome Basin State Park was excellent...nice campsites, great facilities, quiet nights with dark skies.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
... we left the trailer in Kodachrome Basin State Park and just drove Cottonwood Canyon Road with our pickup from the Park to Grosvenor Arch
So did we. One of the Rangers at Kodachrome (a rookie) said we "might" be able to tow on it, but the guy at the campground store just laughed and suggested we go to the Arch without the trailer to try it out. Within a mile or two down that road we knew why the store clerk had chuckled. No way you should try it with a trailer.

I agree about Kodachrome. Very nice campground.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0963.jpg   IMG_0980-1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #28

Quote:
I agree about Kodachrome. Very nice campground.
They have paved the campground road and the camping sites since you were last there...not sure that the pavement is an improvement but it did keep the mud factor down when we had strong rains...either way, a nice spot.
Attached Thumbnails
P1190471.JPG  
Sold both 7/22
Old 07-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Fran and Dave,
Nice picture, what is that wire I see on your roof by the a/c?
Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Fran and Dave,
Nice picture, what is that wire I see on your roof by the a/c?
Those are the cables that used to go to the solar panel before it blew off last month! Reace said the new panel and the bolt on kit are on the way. Then we'll have to figure out how to install it.
Water leaking in through the cable run killed our radio we think...still in the testing phase on that...we finally got the radio pulled out today...not an easy task.
On top of that, a hailstorm shattered our a/c shroud the night before we left for Utah and pieces must have fallen into the a/c fan because the fan stopped working (and was making ugly sounds) after our first night out. So we are in the process of replacing the shroud and seeing if we can fish out pieces of the old shroud without having to take it into the shop...

If it's not one thing, it's another.....as Roseanne Roseannadana used to say....
Sold both 7/22
Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Incredible bad luck, Fran&Dave! If you need an extra hand for the install/repair please let me know.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Incredible bad luck, Fran&Dave! If you need an extra hand for the install/repair please let me know.
Thanks Myron! I think we've got it covered...so far anyway!
Sold both 7/22
Old 07-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It looks like we've run out of observations about the effect on an Escape of rough roads, and suggestions for managing the effect of jolting on trailer contents. An obvious remaining topic is reducing the jolting with suspension improvement. There's no need to reopen the discussion here, but I suggest a look at previous discussions of adding shock absorbers, which would reduce the jolting.

Also, the washboard question was the subject of a previous discussion: Washboard roads
There is also the previous extended discussion of rough roads in general: Any Damage From Driving on Rough Roads?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
Quote:
Coming in from the 59, which is what we did, wasn't that bad. But exiting out toward Zion from the "campground" was terrible. I'm serious, DON'T do it. Very steep grades, washboards, huge dips and rocks. The only passerby I saw looked at me like I was nuts. It should not be classified as 1. It's worse than it looks.

Did you have any clearance issues? The pictures show similar areas to where I expect to travel, but mostly in BC.
If there are seriously sharp corners to back out of or turn around in, I have found disconnecting the WDH worthwhile as they tend to fall out anyway. I'll likely be disconnecting them in any slow or low speed backroad travel as the likelihood of me having to turnaround at some point in a less than ideal area is high-as my ever suffering wife has discovered.
lancenadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I did not have clearance issues, and I do not have the high lift axle. I disconnected the WDH springs because I was concerned about too much strain on the hitch receiver and frame. But, the trailer seemed a lot less stable. I'm not sure that it was the right decision.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote