Towing on a washboard road - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #31
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Incredible bad luck, Fran&Dave! If you need an extra hand for the install/repair please let me know.

"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #32
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Incredible bad luck, Fran&Dave! If you need an extra hand for the install/repair please let me know.
Thanks Myron! I think we've got it far anyway!

Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #33
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It looks like we've run out of observations about the effect on an Escape of rough roads, and suggestions for managing the effect of jolting on trailer contents. An obvious remaining topic is reducing the jolting with suspension improvement. There's no need to reopen the discussion here, but I suggest a look at previous discussions of adding shock absorbers, which would reduce the jolting.

Also, the washboard question was the subject of a previous discussion: Washboard roads
There is also the previous extended discussion of rough roads in general: Any Damage From Driving on Rough Roads?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #34
Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Coming in from the 59, which is what we did, wasn't that bad. But exiting out toward Zion from the "campground" was terrible. I'm serious, DON'T do it. Very steep grades, washboards, huge dips and rocks. The only passerby I saw looked at me like I was nuts. It should not be classified as 1. It's worse than it looks.

Did you have any clearance issues? The pictures show similar areas to where I expect to travel, but mostly in BC.
If there are seriously sharp corners to back out of or turn around in, I have found disconnecting the WDH worthwhile as they tend to fall out anyway. I'll likely be disconnecting them in any slow or low speed backroad travel as the likelihood of me having to turnaround at some point in a less than ideal area is high-as my ever suffering wife has discovered.
lancenadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #35
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I did not have clearance issues, and I do not have the high lift axle. I disconnected the WDH springs because I was concerned about too much strain on the hitch receiver and frame. But, the trailer seemed a lot less stable. I'm not sure that it was the right decision.

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote