Towing on steep grades at high elevation - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Someone may have, if they drove on a highway at less than 15 mph. Shift lever has to be in low or reverse.
Attached Thumbnails
Downhill assist.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As I said was said, in post #34. Yes, need L.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
We're still considering the 3.0L diesel in the Ram, and would love to hear how it does, particularly with a 21' on the steep grades and higher elevations. Seems like a couple of our forum have that particular engine in either the Ram or Jeep. We almost bought one last week, but decided to give our 2003 V-6 (245 hp/282 lb-ft) a whirl on the initial pick-up and trip home.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just bought a new 2014 Ram, but stayed with the 5.7 Hemi. I'm not convinced that these small motors like the 3.6 ecoboost and the Ram 3.0 will last or are as durable as the larger motors. They are bolting on turbo's to make these small engines work like the bigger ones, just not sure over the long haul there will not be issues. Besides that the premium for fuel and urea (which I throw away every day when I clean the litter box) as well as the up charge. I may be wrong, just my .02$ worth.
I'm very happy with the new Ram with the 8 speed and 3:21 rear end, getting 14-15 mpg towing and 18-20 not towing which is a lot better over the older 5 speed hemi that got 12 mpg, towing or not.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Was hoping to see an engineer weigh in on this but I've done some research and am sure to be corrected if there's any errors: Toyota doesn't mention anything in their Tundra specs about engine grade braking. They do mention large brakes. On the other hand several including myself have reported the benefits of the grade braking on their GM trucks/suv's.

From GM: Available on Savana, Sierra, Yukon, and Acadia, tow/haul mode raises transmission up-shift and down-shift points to alternately give you more power to accelerate, and greater access to engine compression for deceleration with less noise and harshness. Excess shifting when towing or hauling excessive loads is also reduced.

Do Toyota trucks have this same technology?
GM has two systems. Trailer grade braking is part of tow/haul mode. When you start to apply the brakes it senses that action an begins to shift down. The harder you apply the lower gear it selects and more control over speed it applies. Consequently once it takes over, very little braking is required. Once you apply the accelerator, it senses that at automatically up shifts. It makes descents so much easier. You have way less white knuckle effect. Beats the heck out of manually shifting up an down. You do have the option of going to M mode and bumping gears up and down manually with +/- button. I did this a couple times of some really steep grades where I wanted to control speed even more. Tow/haul worked 99% of the time.

Descent control is a whole different feature that is part of their off road package. It is made for low speeds on rough terrain. Different deal from grade braking. For us Escapees grade braking is what we need for highway speeds.

They also have hill start assist that helps on up hill when taking of from a stop. Applies brakes automatically to hold vehicle until power trains begins to pull. Make that a lot easier too.

Love technology!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
All
What does one do when the engine/tranny braking is not enough? Going through the Rockies this fall I had the Ecoboost bring me down to 3rd gear, as Carl said, depending on how much brake I applied. On many hills in 3rd (of 6) would allow it to creep up to 55 mph at which time I'd use the brakes to get down to 45 or so. 5 miles or so of that and the brakes are getting down right hot. After the fact I've been told to manually take it down to 2nd. Was kind of worried about how high the rpm gets when one does so. It does slow you down though. So how low should you go on the tranny, and how high on the rpm? I didn't make note of it at the time but it sure sounded high.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The first time we experienced the auto grade braking we thought we had a mechanical problem because of the racket. It did rev the motor up over 3K suddenly. One of those things you get used to and it is very effective. Know this runs counter to all previous advice on cruise control, but what I do is set the cruise say at 40 mph, then when it hits 44-45 the grade braking kicks in. I notice this tachometer doesn't indicate a red line which seems odd.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #48

I noticed that about CC, seems to hold your speeds pretty darned good on the down hills as well as flats and hills. Didn't try it on mountain roads though, just the highway.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We're still considering the 3.0L diesel in the Ram, and would love to hear how it does, particularly with a 21' on the steep grades and higher elevations.
Like Jim, I have the gasser 5.7 but haven't towed (yet) with it. The truck is fantastic though, as I hear all the newer Big 3 units are these days. If you plan to get off dry pavement (much), I would suggest looking into Dodge's "part time" vs "auto mode" 4x4 systems.

Found a forum for you to peruse, in case you hadn't seen it yet:
RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Going through the Rockies this fall I had the Ecoboost bring me down to 3rd gear, as Carl said, depending on how much brake I applied. On many hills in 3rd (of 6) would allow it to creep up to 55 mph...
... After the fact I've been told to manually take it down to 2nd. Was kind of worried about how high the rpm gets when one does so.
What was the engine speed in 3rd, and what would it be in 2nd?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I hear that BC scales are even free maybe.
Yes, government-run scales in both British Columbia and Alberta are free. Most of us that have discussed their use in forums seem to use them when they are not open for truck traffic, so we're not in the way or rushed; the scales are left on so you can get your readings, although with no printout.

There is one scale in B.C., just north of the U.S. border on Highway 15 southbound, which is never attended; it is intended for do-it-yourself use at all times, although of course it was put there for commercial trucks so they can make sure they're legal before hitting the border crossing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Hearing about the BC scales being left on, I wonder if any states do that? Would be great to be able to pull into one when it was closed and use it. But my guess is that they are all electronic printout or readings, and that they are off when closed.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
What was the engine speed in 3rd, and what would it be in 2nd?
Didn't catch the rpm, I'll have to see if I can find a chart or some such that has suggested rpms for the different gears.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Hearing about the BC scales being left on, I wonder if any states do that? Would be great to be able to pull into one when it was closed and use it. But my guess is that they are all electronic printout or readings, and that they are off when closed.
I've found a few in both Oregon & Washington State that left a display on while the scales were closed.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've found a few in both Oregon & Washington State that left a display on while the scales were closed.
There are at least some in Idaho that stay on as well. I haven't tried states closer to home. That is for next year...
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jon and Leon -- wish we could find some in the Midwest.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Check with your local garbage transfer station. Ours in Oswego will weigh for free if you don't need a certified weight statement. If it isn't busy, I've even dropped the trailer on the scale to get a trailer only weight.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #58

Our local farmer's coop used to charge only $5, but they got bought out by a bigger operation and I haven't checked since - guess I should.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I want to clarify my post about pulling my trailer over an 8000-foot pass, now that I remember the incident more clearly. I drove 20-25 mph because I was keeping an eye on the transmission temperature and had no traffic behind me; the Tacoma was capable of pulling it faster. The point is that I remain satisfied with the Tacoma as a tow vehicle for the Escape 21; I'm less satisfied with the Garmin GPS for sending a newbie into the stratosphere on his first trip.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
...I'm less satisfied with the Garmin GPS for sending a newbie into the stratosphere on his first trip.
I am a firm believer in not taking the word of my GPS as gospel. At least when you blindly follow your GPS's directions down that impassible goat path in the wilderness, you will be able to live in comfort in your new Escape until you are either rescued, or you die of starvation.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote