Towing on steep grades at high elevation - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
I think your Garmin picked a good route, considering the remote conditions and mountainous terrain between Moab, UT and Dinosaur NM: 211 miles with an 8300 ft. pass via CO 139. An alternative route through Price, UT is OK, but it's 246 miles with a 9100 ft. pass on US 191. Otherwise, you could go east to Rifle, CO and north on CO 13 for a 7400 foot pass, but the distance is 310 miles.

Towing in the Intermountain West requires patience, with slower speeds and longer travel times, but you will be MUCH faster than the semi trucks on those same roads. Also, many of those roads have extra lanes and other passing opportunities so slow vehicles won't hold up traffic.

-Dave
I'd have gone with Price Dave. I remember when I was a boy, Price Canyon was a bit trecherous, but they've widened it and changed the grade in a lot of places, since they figured out its the only route from Moab to the Salt Lake Valley. 191 to Duchesne is way different now too.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd have gone with Price Dave. I remember when I was a boy, Price Canyon was a bit trecherous, but they've widened it and changed the grade in a lot of places, since they figured out its the only route from Moab to the Salt Lake Valley. 191 to Duchesne is way different now too.
I came down to Moab from SLC via Price, a route I've taken several times in the past, so I was familiar with it. I figured I'd go via Price on the way up to Dinosaur NM; I was surprised when the Garmin sent me on a different route. And I had a hardcopy road atlas with me, I just neglected to look at it for mountain passes on that day. I'll get a more detailed atlas and not make that mistake again.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #83

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post

We're going to the Big Smoke (Vancouver) next weekend and will check out recent, preowned Tundras and the Sequoias.
Just be sure you get the car fax on the truck to see where its been registered ..... lots of leased (abused) trucks with fairly low miles coming in from the Alberta oil industry & being dumped in BC.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #84

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I like the US191 route, too! That "Indian Canyon" road is a favorite (and only) north-south way between I-70/US6 and US40 in eastern Utah. Yes, Price Canyon (US6) is a hazardous and one of the deadliest in the US The Deadliest Roads Are Rural : NPR, but you only drive it for a couple of miles before turning north at Helper on US 191.

My point is that it was not a fault of the GPS when it proposed a shorter and quicker route through western CO. That CO route has a lower elevation, too, but I don't think the GPS considered that.

-Dave
Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #85

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...The westbound descent from the summit of Teton Pass begins with a 25 mph speed limit and a truck warning sign--"Steep grade--10% next 3 miles--use lower gear." This grade warning is repeated a mile later. About 2½ miles down from the summit the grade eases to 6-7% and the speed limit increases. This grade continues for about 3-4 miles and eases near the Idaho state line..."

We took that route home on a recent Tetons trip. (Picture here ain't it...was too busy driving.) Quite a thrill...and must confess- a lot more fun on highway 22 than on I-40. ET-19 handled it well.
Attached Thumbnails
Ouray550.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
Just be sure you get the car fax on the truck to see where its been registered ..... lots of leased (abused) trucks with fairly low miles coming in from the Alberta oil industry & being dumped in BC.
Just look at the radiator. If there is 25 pounds of gravel stuck in the fins you will know where its been.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #87

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
... Yes, Price Canyon (US6) is a hazardous and one of the deadliest in the US The Deadliest Roads Are Rural : NPR, but you only drive it for a couple of miles before turning north at Helper on US 191. ...
Yikes. I drove that road in July pulling my Escape. Didn't seem that bad at the time. I guess I should have increased the coverage on my life insurance before we went.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Fiberglass Fan, thanks for the heads up regarding previous ownership. I'll make sure to check the ownership records. Apparently any Toyota dealer can run the VIN number and get a list of whatever service has ever been done by any Toyota dealer. I'll insist on both documents (and check for the gravel that GerriJ mentioned).
Old 11-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Yikes. I drove that road in July pulling my Escape. Didn't seem that bad at the time. I guess I should have increased the coverage on my life insurance before we went.
I drove that route last year too and I wasn't aware of its reputation. The one that gave me the heebie jeebies is route 129 from Clarkston Wa to the Grand Ronde River crossing. Especially when every motorcycle club in Western Washington is out for a run.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #90

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
I'll make sure to check the ownership records. Apparently any Toyota dealer can run the VIN number and get a list of whatever service has ever been done by any Toyota dealer.
I came to consider this normal - after a decade owning our Toyota Sienna - and when I recently bought a used Mazda I was surprised and disappointed to find that there was no similar system at Mazda. The dealer did pull the records of work they did (and gave me copies with the previous owner's name and contact info removed), but they had no way to get to information from other dealers.

It's handy, but it doesn't tell you with any certainty what has been done to the vehicle, because it is only for Toyota dealers. Anything done by the owner or by an independent shop or by any other brand of dealership - even using parts purchased from a Toyota dealer - won't show up.

A CarProof or CarFax report is similar: it shows useful information (probably complete for registration and for major insurance claims, which is very useful), but many of the types of information they claim to show is only there if companies and agencies report it... and they often don't. For instance, it won't show every bit of collision damage, and is unlikely to show any non-collision mechanical repairs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #91

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When I traded my Highlander in 7/29 the carfax the dealer offered didnt show an oil change I had done at Burlington Toyota in early June.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think they only update twice a year so there can be a 6 month lag.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #93

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
All of those beat up trucks have to go somewhere . Most new trucks have a hour meter and that should be checked as well. It's unbelievable how many hours these work trucks have on them . They must seriously never shut them off .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
When I traded my Highlander in 7/29 the carfax the dealer offered didnt show an oil change I had done at Burlington Toyota in early June.
Do you literally mean "carfax"? Carfax (like CarProof) is not Toyota's system, and I have no reason to expect Toyota (dealers, or Toyota Canada) to report anything to CarProof or CarFax or any similar outside service. To see the information in Toyota's maintenance tracking system, you register with Club Toyota online (and I'm sure dealership staff have their own system for access); I would not expect to see that information in any other company's report.

If Toyota's own system was missing work done at a Toyota dealer... well, yeah, no system is perfectly consistently used. If Burlington is not your normal dealer - a one-time visit - perhaps they just keyed in the VIN incorrectly.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think they only update twice a year so there can be a 6 month lag.
Do you mean CarFax and CarProof? Their updates presumably depend on the source. Most of their sources are insurance companies and government motor vehicle registration agencies, and I don't know how frequently they update, or whether the updates are the same for all sources. Six months is so long that it would be useless for many people buying a car, as the thing could have been written off, rebuild, re-registered, and offered for sale all within that time.