Towing the 19' with a Cherokee? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

Towing the 19' with a Cherokee?

I see some others have towed the 17' models with smaller SUV's - Rav4's etc.
I may be getting a 19 footer in a year or two and I'm curious if my stock Cherokee Limited with th inline 6 would have any issues towing this trailer?
The tow capacity of the Jeep is 5000 pounds, just curious that the size and frontage of the 19 would be an issue or not?

Thanks in advance!
The Adam Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Re: Towing the 19' with a Cherokee?

I tow a 19 footer with a Toyota Highlander. The Highlander is rated for 5,000 pounds and I have no problems towing (except, of course, lower mpg).
Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #3

We tow our 19 footer with a Dodge Dakota, 8 cylinder engine, 236 hp no problem. Our gas milage is reduced to but comfortable.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #4

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone

In a couple of years when you order a 19 you might consider a new Grand Cherokee with the hemi V-8. We have over 15,000 miles on our 2011 and at least 5000 of that was towing our 19. We only have the two wheel drive and get about 21mpg on the hiway and about 15 or so when towing at the speed of traffic. The engine is only turning 1600 to 2000 rpm all of the time and accelerates to merge on free ways and climbs the steepest hills with very little effort.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

I sometimes tow my 19 with my '52 Chev inline 6. It is a modified 250c.u. which is about the same size as your Cherokee. It tows well. I will be taking this combination up to the Escape Rally in Osoyoos.
My main tug is my 2004 Kia Sorento. I have towed all over Washington and Oregon as well as the Okanagan with the Kia and it is a great little SUV. It's only 3.5 litres but with a proper hitch has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.
52 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #6

I tow my 19ft with a 2007 Toyota Tundra. The Tundra is rated at 10,500 pounds and I have no towing problems.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Thanks for all the responses.
My situation is a bit specific, and if I were to change vehicles, I'd be going with a 1 ton or larger (think F-550) pickup truck for my longer term plans.
The reason I'm asking about the Cherokee is because I just picked up a Japan-spec model with the steering wheel on the right side.
The reason I purchased this vehicle is due to an injury I sustained from a motorcycle accident years ago - I was left with a paralyzed right arm. So, having all the heater, radio, transmission and transfer case to my left is very convenient. And eventually may be a necessity as my "good" shoulder isn't that great any more...

So, thanks again for the responses, I feel better about the possibility of the XJ pulling the 19 footer.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #8

As noted in other posts, we tow our 19 with a Dodge Dakota, ours has a V8 engine of about 235 hp. and came equiped with a heavy tow package.
This unit has no problems towing the 19 other than what others have said our gas mileage is down a bit.

As noted before we had the option of an equalizer hitch, and am pleased we got it. this hitch makes all the diference when towing with a vehicle that has what could be called a light payload.

Bsides the hitch weight of the trailer, i carry in the back of my truck 48 gallons of gas, and a Hyundai generator that is about 70 pounds. also blocking for the trailer feet. with out an equalizer hitch, our truck would most likely be dragging its ass down the road. I would suggest our truck is grossed out.

I would surmise your Jeep Cherokee being a Chrysler product has the same engine in it as our Dodge Dakota.
If you get the right class 3 hitch, and an equalizer set up you will manage very well

Doug

Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #9

Hi Yukon Escape,

The Dakota and Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) are actually quite different vehicles. I think the upper limit of what the Daks were rated to tow was around 7000 pounds depending on the gearing and engine from the factory. Almost all Cherokees for the longest time were rated to pull 5000 pounds, and I think that was the case up until the Grand Cherokees started getting the 5.9 engine.
It sounds like your Dak came with the 4.7 engine, with 235 HP and 295 ft-lbs - it is quite a bit more powerful than the Cherokee's engine.
The Jeep came with the older and very common (for a Jeep) 4.0 with 190 HP and 230 ft-lbs. (In older model years before the Magnum version the engine was rated at slightly less HP and torque figures.)

That extra 48-gal tank must be nice when going on some longer trips! I wouldn't have any place to put that in my Cherokee... lol

The idea with the equalizing hitch is something I would definitely employ if I do indeed end up going this route.
I've heard of them before helping to completely balance the tow vehicle with it's load and people saying the same thing as you - makes a world of differece.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #10

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

I tow with an old Toyota 4Runner that's rated for 5000lbs. We crossed the Continental Divide multiple times on our trip back to TX after pickup in Fall '09. We didn't break speed barriers in the mountains but we haven't had any problems either. We use a weight distributing hitch as well & are quite happy with it.

Brad

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #11

Blaster;
Yes our truck has the so called V8 Magnum of 235 HP, and the grades on some of the off roads are quite steep, however their has been no problems.

Fuel in whitehorse is 135.9 a litre and in Dawson it is 157.9 a litre. the tank on our truck holds 18 gallons, and with the 48 in the back we can go to Dawson City and drive aropund for a few days and then return to Whithorse with fuel left over in the tank.

The generator we have is a Hyundai, 2000si and is an inverter unit. Plenty big enough for what we use it for.

Wal-Mart is selling this unit here in Whitehorse, for $510.00 tax included. I see they have a few more in the store today.

The trailer a 19 footer is quite light and I suppose it could be safely pulled by most anything.

Doug
Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Escape
Fuel in whitehorse is 135.9 a litre and in Dawson it is 157.9 a litre. the tank on our truck holds 18 gallons, and with the 48 in the back we can go to Dawson City and drive aropund for a few days and then return to Whithorse with fuel left over in the tank.
I map-quested that route and it looks like around 1100 km round trip, pretty nice to do that pulling a trailer and not have to fill up until you got back! :beer:

I've been looking into extended tanks for the Cherokee's, but it seems like the Australian market has a couple options, but no one from North America. And as you can imagine shipping a fuel tank from Aus. to Canada wouldn't exactly be cheap... lol
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #13

It is actualy a bit longer, I think we put on around, 1750, with our side trips.

I do not know your location, in the lower 48 or above the line.

In Canada the legal name of a tank in the box of a pick-up is "Slip-Tank" although through common usage and the name of a very good and popular tank maker in the lower Mainland they are called "Tidy Tanks".

Google "Tidy Tanks" and you will get the location and other information.

The Tidy Tanks are certified by transport Canada, and if you google their site you will get information on proper installation. Very few you see on the road are properly installed.

Try to keep your tank below 100 gallons and you will have less hassle from inspectors, who may stop you.

My tank was custom made for our truck, and I am looking at getting a 60 gallon tank made.
It is easier to keep track of what fuel you have left if your tank is rectangular or square.

Simple math, there is 6.2355 gallons in a cubic foot, and there is 4.546 litres in a gallon.

I use a dip stick to establish what fuel is used or is left to use.

If you go to the tidy tanks they make tanks in varying sizes, and prices, that will fit any situation, and are certified.
A hand pump will cost you about $200.00, as well the tanks come with out fuel caps, a cerified fuel cap will cost about $100.00, on top of the tank cost.

A 60 gallon tank 42" X 20" X 20" with two baffles to keep the fuel from sloshing around, will cost me $1,400.00 here in Whitehorse. That is material, labor, and pressure testing.

Tidy Tanks cost less than a custom built tank. certification is important.

Doug
Old 06-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #14

Thanks for the name of that company, and I'm in Edmonton, AB.
Sometimes the winters here feel almost as bad as the winters in Whitehorse. lol

Ideally for the Cherokee I'd want to replace the stock tank with a larger capacity one, but still retain the ground clearance. (I like going a bit further off the path than most people.)

The Australian tanks accomplish all of these goals, adding an extra 10 gallons or so to the fuel capacity. That's about a 50% improvement over stock. And these Aus. tanks tend to run about $700-$800 but the shipping seems to be about the same, so I would be paying between $1400-$1600 and then I would also have to pay for installation.
(Not a job for a one-armed man.)
I would really "like" to have that extra capacity and ability to travel that much farther without having to fill up, but I haven't been able to justify the cost yet.
If/when I buy a TT in a couple of years, I'll be able to have a good reason for the extra expense of a tank like this.

I had thought of the other option that you mentioned - a tank that isn't integrated to the vehicle, with a pump etc.
This would probably be the wiser direction to go since the tank would be independent of the tow vehicle, and be able to be swapped between vehicles or trailers as the case may be.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #15

Good old Edmonchuck, I was born in the Royal Alex, now the Glenrose, When I was born our house was on White avenue just down from the Strathcona hotel, then we moved to the west end.
I am dating myself but the city limit of Edmonton was 149st. I attended Glenora School, and our phone number was 85260.
The streets were still gravel and mud. Our address was 14305-135 st. awe the nostalgia of it all.

Seriously; I still have relatives there, I like the city, we visit quite a bit.

For the tanks you need you might go to Princess Auto, there is one on the North and the South side, they may be able to help you, and with installation as well.

Doug
Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #16

I used to work a couple blocks from the Princess on the West/Nort end near 170th.
I'm quite familiar with that store's layout from my multitude of visits.

I am actually going to have a utility/rough-roads/trail trialer built by a welder buddy of mine this summer, and I may just look at putting one of those tanks with the pump on the tongue. It would be easier than mounting several jerry cans and also hold quite a bit more fuel, and dispense it in a much more convenient manner. Hmmmm....

Thanks for the idea!

(And yes, you're definitely dating yourself with that description of the city!) lololol
Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #17

How did you make out with your tank.

I give the wrong address.
It was 14305-103 ave.
Doug
Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 AM   #18

We now have a new tow vehicle, We just purchased a Dodge (Laramie Longhorn, model) 5.7 engine.
Our Dodge Dakota had 152 thousand Kilometers on it (Many trips down the Alaska Highway) and was starting to cost.
Any way there are no more hills on the Coca-Cola highway. (I got a speeding ticket going up hill passing a B-train tanker, while pulling our 19).

The engine cuts out four cylinders when the going is easy.

Doug
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I have the same set up, 13 mpg no matter what, towing or not towing in around town. On highway I can expect 17-18, the fuel saver is nice if you use a light foot. But I love the sound of that exhaust, it's my 4 wheel Harley!!!