towing vehicle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdoyle View Post
John,

We picked up our 19' Escape about a month ago. We tow with a 2012 Highlander and have been very pleased with the combo. I must admit the mpg kind of suprised me, I have been getting around 15 miles to the gallon so far, better than I expected. I had a independent shop handle the wiring for the 7 pin and brake controller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
It seems strange that the car company's still seem perplexed at what equiptment people need to tow trailers. For the most part they have it figured out with full Size trucks with built in brake controllers and such but they sure seem to be missing the mark with smaller vehicles
I agree. A vehicle capable of towing 5000 lbs should be outfitted to use trailer breaks. Honda seems to understand this but not Toyota. I had trailer brakes when towing a 2500 lb boat and trailer. It was much safer towing that way when the boat had a full tank of gas and other gear.

Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #12

Rick / dkdoyle,

Do you use a WDH with your 19 and Highlander?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #13

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Yes I use a WDH that I got when I picked up the Escape

Rick
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Yes I use a WDH that I got when I picked up the Escape

Rick

Same as Rick
dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
A vehicle capable of towing 5000 lbs should be outfitted to use trailer breaks. Honda seems to understand this but not Toyota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
It seems strange that the car company's still seem perplexed at what equiptment people need to tow trailers. For the most part they have it figured out with full Size trucks with built in brake controllers and such but they sure seem to be missing the mark with smaller vehicles
I don't think that this is a size or brand issue. I think Toyota equips vehicles with "truck" chassis (Tundra, Sequoia, Tacoma, 4Runner, FJ) with pre-wiring for trailers (including brake control connection), but not the other platforms... and other brands are similar.

Honda is unusual because they don't have a traditional truck chassis line, so their customers who seriously tow tend to get the Pilot or Ridgeline, and those models are equipped accordingly. They even have integrated hitches... because if they didn't have these features they would lose customers entirely, while at Toyota or Nissan it's just a reason to upsell to a heavier SUV.

The built-in brake controllers have only recently appeared in anything less than the biggest (e.g. Ford SuperDuty rather than F-150) and best equipped models, even among the full-size trucks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
John, I'm wondering why your wife prefers the Highlander. We have been considering both.

Ruth
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
John, I'm wondering why your wife prefers the Highlander. We have been considering both.

Ruth
Ruth, She prefers the more car like ride of the Highlander. I noticed this too but the Pilot would work for me too. They are both really nice! We are used to driving small Mazdas so anything that can tow the 19 seems huge to us. I used to pull a boat with a full size pickup but it has been a few years and my wife rarely drove. I had to sell my toys to put the kids through college. We hope to do a lot of traveling now and into our retirement so I want to make sure she is comfortable handling some of the driving.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think most of the new SUV's drive nice. This ease of driving is why my wife likes the Pilot. I actually turns WAY tighter than her Mazda6 Sport Wagon, making parking lots easier to deal with.

I have driven my brothers 2012 Jeep Cherokee a few times, and it is nice to drive too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #19

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We have friends with both vehicles and both have good reviews and reputations. Probably the reality is which ever one you like to drive the most will be a good fit.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 19' Escape on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think most of the new SUV's drive nice. This ease of driving is why my wife likes the Pilot. I actually turns WAY tighter than her Mazda6 Sport Wagon, making parking lots easier to deal with.

I have driven my brothers 2012 Jeep Cherokee a few times, and it is nice to drive too.
Jim, I have a 2012 Pilot and am thinking of an Escape 19'. Do you need extended mirrors?

Carol in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote