Towing vehicle for 19' Escape - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #101

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
I have been reading through the posts here because I am considering two options for towing a 17b or possibly a 19 in the future. It is helpful to read about others' experiences. The two finalists in the running are - Highlander XLE (probably 2017-2019) with the 5000 towing capacity or a similar year or new Honda Pilot Touring that is also AWD and has a 5000 towing capacity. (I also considered the Ascent, which I really liked driving, as well as the Atlas). We currently have an Outback, and really like it, but are ready to go bigger. We have a family of four and want/need to get a vehicle that fits us all plus an extra person when we need it, as opposed to a truck. At least at this point! It would be great to get feedback on the two options. I like the spaciousness of the Pilot, in terms of thinking about hauling the kids and the long road trips we do. I do feel like I have read more about the Highlander being a good tow vehicle though. It is cramped in the third row, but ok. I really liked the new Pilot I drove, and I didn't like the brand new Highlander as much for some reason, as opposed to a certified used one, 2017. Thanks!
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Based on what I've read here before, be sure to check total weight capacities, especially with a family and all your gear. Honda and Toyota may both tow 5000#, but you need to consider weight in the vehicle as well. We have a 2018 Highlander and really like it.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:31 PM   #103

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
I have been reading through the posts here because I am considering two options for towing a 17b or possibly a 19 in the future. It is helpful to read about others' experiences. The two finalists in the running are - Highlander XLE (probably 2017-2019) with the 5000 towing capacity or a similar year or new Honda Pilot Touring that is also AWD and has a 5000 towing capacity. (I also considered the Ascent, which I really liked driving, as well as the Atlas). We currently have an Outback, and really like it, but are ready to go bigger. We have a family of four and want/need to get a vehicle that fits us all plus an extra person when we need it, as opposed to a truck. At least at this point! It would be great to get feedback on the two options. I like the spaciousness of the Pilot, in terms of thinking about hauling the kids and the long road trips we do. I do feel like I have read more about the Highlander being a good tow vehicle though. It is cramped in the third row, but ok. I really liked the new Pilot I drove, and I didn't like the brand new Highlander as much for some reason, as opposed to a certified used one, 2017. Thanks!
My brothers neighbor had a Highlander for one summer to tow their 20' travel trailer. After one summer, they now have a Toyota Sequoia with the 5.7L
Old 04-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #104

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
We just completed an awesome 6,000+ mile trip to Newfoundland and back with our 2008 Highlander AWD pulling our 19. Being 10 years old and with 170K miles on it, maybe it's not all that interesting here, but I have some numbers to share anyway. We're considering another tow vehicle, and I wanted to see how close we are to the limits of the Highlander. The Highlander has served us well, towing our Escape 38K miles and a Casita before that, but it has required a very expensive Toyota-rebuilt transmission replacement, and I feel like it works pretty hard towing up long rolling hills, which knocks the mileage down to around 13 mpg, sometimes less. It's pulled the Escape through the Eisenhower Tunnel twice, which is quite a pull to 11,000 feet, so it's a very capable car if one doesn't mind it working so hard. Today, my wife and I drove the whole rig, still packed from our trip, to the scales. It turns out the Escape weighs 3720#, loaded. Hitch weight is 440#. Rear axle load on the Highlander is 3100# (3505 max allowed) and front axle load is 2060 # (2955 max allowed). We're using an Equalizer Hitch, by the way. It was reassuring to see that all the weights fall within acceptable limits. Still, I think there is a Tundra or F-150 in our future just to have a few more ponies under the hood and hopefully a more comfortable ride while towing.
This was excellent. Actual scale weights.
Towing large(ish) objects behind carefully sculpted aerodynamic vehicles always largely reduces fuel economy, but 13 US MPG doesn't strike me as unreasonable towing something like that in rolling hills, and likely cross winds.

We get the WORST fuel economy every driving through MB and Sask with crosswinds and its flat/rolling hills.
Not super familiar with the Toyota 3.5 but assume its a higher revving engine with peak torque around 4400 RPM. That you did the Ike suggests it will get the job done for the vast majority of folks out there.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:17 PM   #105

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Right now our finalist in the running seems to be the Atlas. We have found some great deals, along with great warranty and we also like VW. My first car was a Westfalia camper van and we owned a Jetta Wagon TDI until the buy back. We both love the design and look and space and pricing. Just trying to decide between bucket seat / captain's chairs and bench seat.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #106
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
.... Today, my wife and I drove the whole rig, still packed from our trip, to the scales. It turns out the Escape weighs 3720#, loaded. Hitch weight is 440#. ....
Was that 3720 lbs the axle weight of the trailer, or it's total weight including tongue ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #107

I just pulled out the scale report:

Trailer Wheels Only: 3280
Trailer Wheels and Rear Car Wheels: 6380
Trailer and Car Together: 8880
Trailer Only: 3720
From those numbers, I worked out the rest:
Weight On Tongue = "Trailer Only" minus "Trailer Wheels Only" = 440
Weight of car only = "Trailer and Car" minus "Trailer Only" = 5160
Car Rear Axle Weight = "Trailer Wheels and Rear Car Wheels" minus "Trailer Wheels Only" = 3100
Car Front Axle Weight = "Weight of Car Only" minus "Car Rear Axle Weight" = 2060
Old 04-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #108

By the way, in spite of our interest in a truck to replace the Highlander, we bought a new 2018 Highlander which has a little more horsepower and an eight speed transmission. In the fall of 2019, we went to Death Valley and back (from Ohio), through all the canyon lands, etc. We continue to be really happy with the Highlander.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #109

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Tow Vehicle - Atlas or Ascent

Please note that according to Consumer Reports both the Atlas and the Ascent have significantly below average reliability ratings. Both the Pilot and the Highlander have above average reliability ratings long-term.
Russell 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:57 AM   #110

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
Right now our finalist in the running seems to be the Atlas. We have found some great deals, along with great warranty and we also like VW. My first car was a Westfalia camper van and we owned a Jetta Wagon TDI until the buy back. We both love the design and look and space and pricing. Just trying to decide between bucket seat / captain's chairs and bench seat.
Buddy from work has an Atlas, he lost one of the keys, $1200 goodbye.

Tags
escape 19, towing vehicle, toyota highlander