Towing vehicle for 19' Escape - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Brian, will you help us go car shopping?
Sure! Isn't that what we're doing here?
It's always fun to help spend other people's money.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #62

Trailer: potential buyer
As far as the wiring goes is it imperative that I get a 7 pin plug installed as opposed to a 4 pin? As I understand a 7 pin will allow you to have trailer brakes? We plan to get a 17 or 19 foot escape or something similar to that and will be towing with a 2018 Highlander xle. Thanks !
lunkerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkerking View Post
As far as the wiring goes is it imperative that I get a 7 pin plug installed as opposed to a 4 pin? As I understand a 7 pin will allow you to have trailer brakes?!
The extra pins of the 7-pin are used for
  1. electric brake control,
  2. charging power for the trailer battery, and
  3. an auxiliary circuit used for whatever you want.
You do need a way to operate the trailer's brakes, and that's done by a brake controller. The straightforward solution is to put in that 7-pin connection, plus the wiring in the tow vehicle to connect it to a brake controller, plus the brake controller mounted on the dashboard. An alternative used by some forum members is to get a controller mounted on the trailer (with a radio-linked remote control on the dash); that means less wiring on the tow vehicle, but you still need to provide power to the trailer to run the brakes, so a four-pin is still not enough.

There are trailers which have non-electric brakes (or no brakes at all), so they don't need the brake controller or wiring, but Escapes do all have electric brakes, and the vast majority of travel trailers of any brand (in North America) do as well.

Charging power to the trailer battery is beneficial, but not necessarily required.

Escape trailers do not have anything connected to the auxiliary circuit, so if you don't add anything which needs it, you don't need this pin.

So the short version is: yes, you need the 7-pin and suitable wiring connected to it.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #64

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
you need it
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #65

Trailer: potential buyer
Ok definitely need it ! Is this something that should be installed as the same time as the hitch receiver?

Thanks !
lunkerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you go to a hitch shop, they will install the receiver and brake controller and the seven-pin wiring. You can buy the brake controller from them or online, like etrailer.com.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #67

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I did all of the above at a hitch shop they also sold the brake controller. i also had a Toyota Highlander. I think i also made sure they used 10 gage wiring? i cant remember but i thought that is what was recommended by some people in the forum for better battery charging? My shop said of course. Someone can correct it if I'm wrong.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #68

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I had the hitch shop run an 8 gage charging line to minimize voltage drop with the high current required to run the fridge. I can now tow with the fridge running on 12V. A relay kills the power when the ignition is off. It's a pretty common setup. If you go that way, don't forget to run a heavy ground line as well.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I did all of the above at a hitch shop they also sold the brake controller. i also had a Toyota Highlander. I think i also made sure they used 10 gage wiring? i cant remember but i thought that is what was recommended by some people in the forum for better battery charging? My shop said of course. Someone can correct it if I'm wrong.

Nothing to correct.
I had to pay extra $25 for upgrade to 10 gauge wiring since they normally use 12 and had to buy wire.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkerking View Post
Is this something that should be installed as the same time as the hitch receiver?
At the same time, or later, just because the 7-pin connector will need to be mounted somewhere, and that will likely be to the hitch receiver.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #71

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
We have a 2018 Toyota Highlander to pull our Sept Escape 19 -- it has not only been dream with the upgraded Weight Distribution system we got from Escape - but the average mileage pulling our Escape 19 about 3000 miles with our Toyota Highlander has been 14.7 mpg - this is over many many mountain passes up to 12,000 feet!! We are thrilled.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #72

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
indeed, these weight issues are why I upgraded from my Tacoma to a 2002 F250 diesel to pull our E21... the F250 diesel is reedonk... 2000 lb payload, 8800 lb GVWR, 6800 lb curb weight, 12500 lb hitch tow (WDH recommended above 6500 lbs), and 20,000 lb GCWR. even if I *was* pulling a 12500 lb trailer, thats 1250 lbs on the hitch (assuming 10%), that leaves 750 lbs for us plus gear while staying under GVWR and GCWR. as it is, pulling the < 5000 lb E21, I'll never ever go anywheres near capacity.

oh, and here's the back of my Tacoma with my telescope and minimum gear. ladder was on the roof rack and not visible.

here's the back of the F250 longbed with the same gear /including/ 7' ladder, admittedly without that aqua folding chair...

LOTS of room for additional camping gear.

edit: oh, and the 7.3 Ford turbodiesel gets just about exactly the same gas mileage as the 4.0L V6 Tacoma... around 18 cruising on the highway w/o towing, about 13 towing, and about 13 zipping around the town/county.
That looks like a 20" Obsession. If I got that right, I have the same telescope (#199) I'm planning on buying a Highlander. Hoping to haul the scope, ladder, ramps, case of eyepieces, etc. Did you ever weigh your truck empty and then with the scope?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #73
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
That looks like a 20" Obsession. If I got that right, I have the same telescope (#199) I'm planning on buying a Highlander. Hoping to haul the scope, ladder, ramps, case of eyepieces, etc. Did you ever weigh your truck empty and then with the scope?
indeed, a 20" f/5 Classic. #1141

no, I haven't weighed it, but the rocker box+ mirror box weighs about 100 lbs, the poles can't weigh more than 5 lbs total, and the top assembly only weighs about 13.5 lbs, my eyepiece case is heavier at 17 lbs. everything combined including the ladder and ramps has to be under 200 lbs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #74

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
We have a 2018 Toyota Highlander to pull our Sept Escape 19 -- it has not only been dream with the upgraded Weight Distribution system we got from Escape - but the average mileage pulling our Escape 19 about 3000 miles with our Toyota Highlander has been 14.7 mpg - this is over many many mountain passes up to 12,000 feet!! We are thrilled.
When you say "upgraded" weight distribution system from Escape, can you please specify? Thanks.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #75

Quote:
indeed, a 20" f/5 Classic. #1141

no, I haven't weighed it, but the rocker box+ mirror box weighs about 100 lbs, the poles can't weigh more than 5 lbs total, and the top assembly only weighs about 13.5 lbs, my eyepiece case is heavier at 17 lbs. everything combined including the ladder and ramps has to be under 200 lbs.
The reason I asked is because I want to make sure that the GVWR (@2018 Highlander) is not exceeded by the weight of 2 people, full tank of gas, hitch, and equipment. I am planning on purchasing a pair of light weight aluminum ramps (@24#) and another lighter weight ladder. As you know, an f/5 requires a 6' ladder.

FYI about 8 years ago I converted my scope to GoTo using a Servo controller, wireless handpad and receiver, and bluetooth connectivity. The laptop is mounted on the rockerbox. All commands are initiated through SkyTools. I've been very pleased with this setup. Images attached. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2245-2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	34839

Click image for larger version

Name:	20 inch reflector.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	34840
Old 10-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #76

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hello Richard form your neighbor in York,
A lot of people tow Escapes with the Highlander, but you do not mention which Escape you are interested in.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hello Richard form your neighbor in York,
A lot of people tow Escapes with the Highlander, but you do not mention which Escape you are interested in.
Whoops. Sorry Jim. I'm targeting the 19.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
The reason I asked is because I want to make sure that the GVWR (@2018 Highlander) is not exceeded by the weight of 2 people, full tank of gas, hitch, and equipment. I am planning on purchasing a pair of light weight aluminum ramps (@24#) and another lighter weight ladder. As you know, an f/5 requires a 6' ladder.
while I could use a 6' ladder, I've found short people --errr-- kids needed a 7' ladder when its up near zenith, so I got a Louisville, as at the time I couldn't find a 7' light weight Werner ladder. I'm seriously considering double-stepping it... some of my friends have orchard ladders with half spaced steps, that setup is awesome for big dobs.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #79

Quote:
while I could use a 6' ladder, I've found short people --errr-- kids needed a 7' ladder when its up near zenith, so I got a Louisville, as at the time I couldn't find a 7' light weight Werner ladder. I'm seriously considering double-stepping it... some of my friends have orchard ladders with half spaced steps, that setup is awesome for big dobs.
The first time I recall double stepping a ladder was an article by Dave Kriege in the now defunct "Telescope Making". I'm thinking this was way back in 1999 give or take. I did that with mine. What a change! The problem is that I have a class 1 ladder (industrial grade). Real pain moving it around.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #80
Site Team

yeah, thats why I like the class II fibreglass electricians ladder, very light. mine is rated for 250 lbs, i weigh 220, so its good to go.

p.s. I just weighed my ramps, they weigh 17 lbs each, but are rated to support an 800 lb motorcycle, so they are way sturdy enough that I can walk up the ramp while rolling hte scope into my F250... of course, your highlander isn't nearly as tall as my 4x4, my tailgate is 35-36" off the ground, hah.

Tags
escape 19, towing vehicle, toyota highlander