Towing weight and putting the info together - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Wink Towing weight and putting the info together

Hello everyone,
I'm christine and new to this forum, and I'll probably start with the most asked about questions you probably hear all the time.I'll apologize in advance, but I'm very new to all this.
Next year we are planning a cross country trip from mass to Cali. We are moving and decided to take 3 months to just try and see and enjoy as much as we can... While we still can that being said we are buying a travel trailer. Traveling 3 months and planning to probably live in the trailer afterwards. Therefore we want something big enough to accommodate both comfort and ability to travel across country safely. We are shipping everything in advance, so the trailer will only have to accommodate what is needed for the trip. I have tried doing a lot of research, crunching numbers and reading forums just to come up confused. It seems as though trailers we want come with all the limits, but maybe pushing those limits... I'm not sure, and would appreciate feedback with given information. Traveling across the country I don't want to ruin the car nor risk our safety but we also are looking for most room we can. All help will be appreciated. Thank you

Vehicle :
2015 jeep grand cherokee limited
3.6L Pentastar® V6 VVT engine
290 hp
260 lb-ft of torque
Eight-speed automatic transmission
Towing capability: 6200lbs
Cargo capability including driver: 1050 lbs
Gawr front : 3200
Gawr rear : 3700
Dealers suggested tongue weight between 10-15%

Tavel trailer:
27' with hitch
Dry weight : 4800-5000
Gvwr :7000

So we obviously wouldn't put a lot to bring the weight of trailer up to max gvwr, but hoping to minimize the weight. We figure the total weight of us and dogs is 335.. And misc add another 150 ? (Not sure if reasonable) with 500 lbs of cargo in jeep leaves us 550 lbs for the tongue jack correct? I little confused about the Gawr for the axles bc they carry a higher weight then 6200? Asking if this is a possibility? Am I missing or messing up how to calculate this or not? And since we are driving across country should we be more modest with our camper size and weight? Is a weight distribution hitch going to make any difference in the weight we can carry? How much additional weight is a sway bar and distribution hitch going to add? Is that added to gvwr of car or trailer?

Thanks again
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jeeps have a short wheel base but are capable tow vehicles. Welcome to our little world Christine. Looks like you have done your homework. An Escape 19 has tongue weight between 400-500 lbs and an Escape 17 even less. There are some towing a Escape 21 with a Jeep, but I believe they have the larger v-8. Let's see what the others say....
Old 07-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would check your owners manual. My 2014 Ram truck requires a WDH when
the trailer tongue weight is at or above 500 lbs. My 17 ft Casita has a tongue weight
between 425 to 450 lbs and my auto dealer recommended a WDH. I find that with the WDH
my truck rides level and tows better but that is just my opinion. The WDH transfers the load from the vehicles rear axle so it may help with the RAWR.. I believe the V6 Pentastar engine
has more horsepower and torgue than Chrysler's old small V8 so your V6 engine may not be an issue
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Here is one online calculator that Jim found:

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

3 months in nice weather with a compatible spouse? Any current Escape will do fine. People have/do fulltime in smaller trailers but thats another topic.

Get the factory brake controller if possible, its tied into the TV braking system so its arguably more solid than a third party controller. Others will disagree.

You will be revving the heck out of the V6 on the western mountain passes, so be aware of that.

The Andersen hitch is likely to a great consideration for you.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Tavel trailer:
27' with hitch
Dry weight : 4800-5000
Gvwr :7000

Unless they came out with a new trailer, this is not an Escape, are you looking at a conventional trailer? Irregardless, "I don't want to ruin the car nor risk our safety" tells me you need to down size your listed trailer or upsize your vehicle. But as always, that's just my opinion. A WDH is in the vicinity of 100 lbs, the Anderson may well be less.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think the original person making the post is on the wrong forum. They are inquiring about the K-Z Spree Escape. They make a 27 foot model that weighs about 5000 lbs.

For those not familar with this Escape, it is a stick built trailer coming out of Indiana. I have seen a number of them. Here is a link to their website.
Spree Escape

What caught my eye in the specs was "Cargo capability including driver: 1050 lbs". So if we have a 200# driver, 150# passenger, and 450# on the tongue the dog and box of Kleenix are going to have to stay home. Or does this mean the driver is already in the total? Now the dog can come but no bikes.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #7

Trailer: None yet
I am in the wrong forum I didn't realize till after a different escape. I've looked it since wondering what wonderful campers you all are talking about...and there are none to be found..lol as per fudge brownie. Total of 2 people +2 dogs =335 so I also added in 150lbs+ for additional items in car.
Sorry for misunderstanding with the camper type
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Come back anytime. Our Escapes are great too.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jeeps have a short wheel base...
Classic Jeeps from long ago had very short wheelbase. Current Jeeps have wheelbases just like similar vehicles of other brands. The 2015 Grand Cherokee has a wheelbase of 114.8 inches. That's longer than the majority of tugs used by Escape Forum members, other than pickup trucks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
What caught my eye in the specs was "Cargo capability including driver: 1050 lbs". So if we have a 200# driver, 150# passenger, and 450# on the tongue the dog and box of Kleenix are going to have to stay home. Or does this mean the driver is already in the total? Now the dog can come but no bikes.
I agree that this is an issue. I don't think it's all that unusual for SUVs. Even some full-sized pickups don't have much more payload... and some forum members are very well aware.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote