Towing with 2008 MDX? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
I'm hoping that Toyota (or a cheaper Lexus) or Honda /Acura come out with an SUV within about 5 years that has more than a 5,000 lb towing capacity, with good torque, so we can move to that then.

The Lexus GX 460 is 6,500 towing capacity and more torque than our 2011 MDX.... but the rear door is a barn door, and would whack the Escape rig i believe. Darned it.

I have it on good authority that Lexus will be bringing out "something amazing" to replace the GX 460 soon-ish.... just hope it isn't stupid expensive.

The current Lexus GX 460 is also not too wide... very handy for crowded parking lots in Los Angeles!!

The Durango with the big engine would be very capable, and Arizona Jack loves theirs, towing their 21' but my wife doesnt like the look or styling of it, so it wont work.

a truck of any sort is not an option at all, for various reasons.

The new Nissan Armada and the current Toyota Sequoia are both very very capable, but too wide and tall for my wife.

fingers crossed....

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Read post #5 in the link I posted above. From all accounts the 2017 19 weighs almost the same as the Gen 1 21's.
Sorry, didn't look that far down the post. This makes it even worse as you stated. For the 19 I think going with the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado with the diesel option is making more sense. Don't want to go full size as our city is not well designed for big trucks.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #23

Trailer: Jayco 2011
Towing with 2008 MDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I'm hoping that Toyota (or a cheaper Lexus) or Honda /Acura come out with an SUV within about 5 years that has more than a 5,000 lb towing capacity, with good torque, so we can move to that then.

The Lexus GX 460 is 6,500 towing capacity and more torque than our 2011 MDX.... but the rear door is a barn door, and would whack the Escape rig i believe. Darned it.

I have it on good authority that Lexus will be bringing out "something amazing" to replace the GX 460 soon-ish.... just hope it isn't stupid expensive.

The current Lexus GX 460 is also not too wide... very handy for crowded parking lots in Los Angeles!!

The Durango with the big engine would be very capable, and Arizona Jack loves theirs, towing their 21' but my wife doesnt like the look or styling of it, so it wont work.

a truck of any sort is not an option at all, for various reasons.

The new Nissan Armada and the current Toyota Sequoia are both very very capable, but too wide and tall for my wife.

fingers crossed....

john

I drive a 2015 Sequoia. The vehicle drives much smaller than it is. In order to pull a larger trailer, some compromises must be made.

It seems unlikely that any of the Japanese companies will come out with a cheaper SUV that has > 5000 pound towing. The market isn't going that direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jsg55337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Hey Jing, I tow a 2017 17B with a 2017 Honda Pilot. Works great. We are close by in Fremont if you want to look at how the WDH works and how the whole thing works together. PM (Private Message) me if you want to stop by.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #25

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
The new 2017 Pathfinders have a 6,000 towing capacity I read..
Old 04-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
The new 2017 Pathfinders have a 6,000 towing capacity I read..
They do indeed, according to the Nissan website.

https://www.nissanusa.com/suvs/pathf...versions-specs

The downside is that they actually have a bit less torque and a bit less horsepower than our current 2011 Acura MDX, and when we make a change we'll want more torque for sure... for scampering up mountains.

thanks for the info tho..... good to know. Maybe for someone towing a shorter Escape the 2017 Pathfinder would be awesome.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsg55337 View Post
I drive a 2015 Sequoia. The vehicle drives much smaller than it is. In order to pull a larger trailer, some compromises must be made.

It seems unlikely that any of the Japanese companies will come out with a cheaper SUV that has > 5000 pound towing. The market isn't going that direction.

Thanks for the thoughts..... the Sequoia is only 1" wider than our Acura MDX, so it (hopefully) would not be soooo much worse for parking in the average (not big enough) Los Angeles parking spot....

it is quite a bit longer, but that wouldn't bug me...... I'd have to convince my wife...

the length would make it all the more solid for towing, of course, and the specs are impressive.... Toyota Sequoia 2016 = 7,400 towing capacity with the bigger engine

& 401 kb-ft torque, as opposed to our 273 lbs torque.

My trusted mechanic was raving about how great (and tried and true) the engine is in the Toyota Sequoia is. (and i know he likes Toyotas generally)

Do you happen to know the hitch capacity of your Sequoia?

I assume you like it?

The main complaint i read online from auto reviewers (taken with a grain of salt, of course) is that compared to the competition, the Sequoia could use a bit of a 'refresh' to make it a wee bit more in line with similar SUV's.

this, of course, will happen in time.

thanks,

john
Old 04-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #28

Trailer: Jayco 2011
Towing with 2008 MDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Thanks for the thoughts..... the Sequoia is only 1" wider than our Acura MDX, so it (hopefully) would not be soooo much worse for parking in the average (not big enough) Los Angeles parking spot....

it is quite a bit longer, but that wouldn't bug me...... I'd have to convince my wife...

the length would make it all the more solid for towing, of course, and the specs are impressive.... Toyota Sequoia 2016 = 7,400 towing capacity with the bigger engine

& 401 kb-ft torque, as opposed to our 273 lbs torque.

My trusted mechanic was raving about how great (and tried and true) the engine is in the Toyota Sequoia is. (and i know he likes Toyotas generally)

Do you happen to know the hitch capacity of your Sequoia?

I assume you like it?

The main complaint i read online from auto reviewers (taken with a grain of salt, of course) is that compared to the competition, the Sequoia could use a bit of a 'refresh' to make it a wee bit more in line with similar SUV's.

this, of course, will happen in time.

thanks,

john

I like everything but the gas mileage. Drives great, rides pretty well for a truck based SUV. Max tongue weigh around 900 pounds depending on which model.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...specs.download

Very tight turning radius for its size. Lots of interior space.

Right now I am just towing a pop up, I'm just aspiring to an Escape at this point. It tows the pop up with zero effort of course.

Refreshed for 2018:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-t...1420693364653/

The base SR5 model needs rear airbags for towing (Airlift 1000), otherwise it does sit kind of low on back when loaded. The higher models have an air suspension.

Jsg55337 is offline   Reply With Quote