towing with a 07 Sequoia - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
So let me get this straight I buy the prodigy RF 90250 and then run a wire (10ga)
to the 7 pin in the back of vehicle and attach it to the nuber 2 Elec brake or number 4 battery charge that is where i'm confused ?
For the Prodigy RF, you are supplying power to the battery charge line (pin 4 of an RV 7-way connector, conventionally a black wire). The electric brake connection (pin 2 of an RV 7-way connector, conventionally a blue wire) is only for the output of a controller to the brakes, so would not be used on the Sequoia with a Prodigy RF.

Quote:
My 7 pin is as follows
1-bottom left is common ground [white]
2-bottom right electric brake not there ? [blue]
3-top left tail and license [green]
4-top right battery charge not there ? [black]
5-middle left left stop and brake [red]
6-middle right right stop and brake [brown]
7-center aux for trailer brakes on a surge brake 5pin adapter this works to close off solenoid on boat trailer disc brakes [yellow]
Yes, that's normal RV 7-way wiring. I've added the conventional wire insulation colours in square brackets.
The centre pin is auxiliary: it can be used for anything you want, and this is the correct pin to use for the reverse light circuit used for the surge brake backing control.

Pin 4 (currently unused) is for battery charge: needed for the Prodigy RF, desirable regardless of brake controller to charge the trailer battery while towing. This would normally be a 10 gauge wire.
Pin 2 (currently unused) is for the output of a trailer brake controller: not used (on the tug) by the Prodigy RF, required to be connected to the output of a brake controller wired into the tow vehicle. This would normally be a 12 gauge wire.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Thanks for all the reply's I'm hoping to send this prodigy out to ETI and get the install done out there to the trailer and then pick up trailer in Goshen, Indiana
I would not assume that Escape Trailer Industries will install a Prodigy RF, but if they won't - and if you decide to go with the RF approach - there are solutions:
  • Escape might send the trailer out to Trademasters (the hitch shop they work with) for installation, or
  • you could just install the Prodigy RF at pickup: electrically it's just a plug-in, and physical mounting of the box is not complicated.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #33

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
rf prodigy

I just talked to Tammy she said it wouldn't be a problem . So I ordered from Amazon with the adapter for checking wires . So run a 10 ga wire under the SUV and attach to number 4 of the 7pin sounds easy .My friend has a lift so it should work out Thanks to all the Escapees for helping me out Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Anyway I wish ETI would just install disc surge brakes so so so much easier and they stop a lot better then elec drum brakes One of the trailer mags did a comparison and what a difference it makes
Disk brakes work better than drums in general, but there is no available electrically operated disk brake. There have been two approaches to running disk brakes on a small trailer, and due to the characteristics of these systems it would be surprising for any small travel trailer builder to offer either of them.

Surge Brakes
This is what the Lil Snoozy has. It is somewhat common on boat trailers. Rental trailers normally use surge brakes (to avoid a need for the tow vehicle to have a controller), but drums rather than disks.

The brake calipers are hydraulic, just like on a car. Instead of a master cylinder operated by the driver with a brake pedal, the master cylinder is inside a special sliding coupler on the trailer tongue, so as the tug brakes and pushes back on the trailer, the trailer brakes are applied. Because the system can't distinguish between the tug pushing back on the trailer while driving forward and braking, and the tug pushing back on the trailer to move it in reverse, a valve to block brake action in reverse is required.

While this is a valid approach, and travel trailers in Europe also use a surge system (but built differently), most people would not accept this design, because
  • it does not allow the driver to manually apply the brakes to control sway, and
  • the hydraulic system adds complication.

Electric-over-Hydraulic
This is the system usually used to run disk brakes on large RV trailers, and some (usually large) boat trailers.

The hydraulic brake calipers are the same as for surge disk brakes. The master cylinder is mounted on the trailer's tongue and driven by an electric motor; it is controlled by the same electric signal from a brake controller as an electric drum brake system.

This works well, but is much more expensive than electric drum brakes, and substantially more complex. I've never heard of anyone putting this on a small travel trailer.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
I just talked to Tammy she said it wouldn't be a problem . So I ordered from Amazon with the adapter for checking wires . So run a 10 ga wire under the SUV and attach to number 4 of the 7pin sounds easy .My friend has a lift so it should work out Thanks to all the Escapees for helping me out Jim
The Prodigy RF is way easier to install than the charge wire. Takes all of ten minutes. There are a few videos showing installation- just Google it.

You have some time to figure this out, however with anything there are pros & cons. For the Prodigy RF-

Pros-easy install- no wires to splice, can be moved from different tow vehicles easily.

Cons- have to pair it up & like all bluetooth connections & that sometimes can be tricky. Regardless, to do so you must unplug the trailer connection to the unit first.

The Bargman end on ours became problematic within the first 6 months as the cable started to draw back from the plug end. While I know this can happen to the trailer's plug, we've not seen that yet with our two Escape Trailers. Have included two links for you to look at:

Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90250

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #36

brakes

Thanks for all the reply's . As soon as I get around to it I will be running a num 10 wire with a 30 amp fuse to the rear 7 pin. 12 volt supply . Do I need to have a shutoff relay or switch tapped into my key ignition switch? what if you just let it be live like your brake lights ?

Also does Escape trailers supply the breakaway switch in case trailer comes off the 2in ball ?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I believe the emergency break away cable with switch is standard issue.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #38

Quote:
As soon as I get around to it I will be running a num 10 wire with a 30 amp fuse to the rear 7 pin. 12 volt supply . Do I need to have a shutoff relay or switch tapped into my key ignition switch? what if you just let it be live like your brake lights ?
You don't need to, but most people prefer to have the power to the trailer shut off when the engine is not running, to avoid accidentally running down the tow vehicle's battery when the trailer is left connected while parked. I used a relay controlled by an ignition-switched circuit, but there are also devices which shut off when the voltage from the tow vehicle is low enough to indicate that the engine's charging system is not operating.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #39

wiring

Brian thanks for all the Help . Since my trailer will be delivered probably first week of Oct. I need to get on this right away . If I want a switch use a relay to attach to the 10ga. wire then run other wires to an ignition run appliance ? to complete the relay right ? Also put in a 30 amp fuse

I also thought of just putting in a 30 amp fuse like on boats and turn off with switching the fuse ? ($49 Blue sea systems 30 amp 7181) Your thought s Jim
Old 10-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #40

towing

Well we put in a 10 ga. wire from the battery (switched with also a 30 amp fuse ) to the number 4spot looking at toyota its at the 1-2 position . So we should be good to go . I have a Oct 24th orientation and will ask ETI to mount the prodigy RF then when we pick it up in Chicago area it will be a hopefully simple task of syncing it ? Then off for 10 days of driving back to Florida .BTW The trailer is in production and will leave ETI on Oct 26th .So I will fly back home get mySequoia and drive up to friends house and wait and pick up trailer .Jim