Towing with a 2010 1500 Silverado - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
Towing with a 2010 1500 Silverado

Picking up our new 21 on Nov 9th. What's the recommended set up for towing with our 2010 1500 Silverado?

Is a E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch needed or is just an anti sway bar necessary?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
I do all local towing with just 2" ball on a plain drawbar (2014 21 & Silverado). It tows great.
On longer trips I use the Anderson "No Sway" I bought when I picked the trailer up & was towing with a Trailblazer.
Don't really need it, but Norma thinks the ride is smoother.

That said, it sounds like the new trailers are heavier so you might want more weight distribution than I seem to need.

Have fun with your new Escape
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
You will get a bunch of opinions from no WD to full blown WD with sway. I run a 2014 Silverado with a Reese SC with integral sway. I like the safety factor working in my favor. I would avoid separate friction sway control as there can be issues backing up. Any reputable company with built in sway will do the trick. Make sure you get the proper spring bars for the tongue weight if that is part of the design. Two stiff can cause problems. I run 600 lb bars on my SC. Shop around. I bought my SC for less than $400.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Towing 21 with 2008 Silverado

We tow our Gen 2 Escape 21 with a 2008 Silverado. At first I tried towing with no WDH. There were no problems with sway but, I noticed quite a bit of squat in the rear end and needed to tow in low beam.

Purchased Fastway WDH and it solved the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also think the ride is better. The trailer and truck handle as one unit.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
We picked up our 21 last month and I am glad we got the E 2 that ETI installed. We tow with a Silverado too. The added safety and smoother ride are worth it to us. Also the. Dollar exchange rate made the price ok. But I would definitely get the 12 volt power tongue jack as it would be way more work to use the E2 without it and it is easy with it.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengranny View Post
Picking up our new 21 on Nov 9th. What's the recommended set up for towing with our 2010 1500 Silverado?
Without knowing both how much load you are carrying in the truck (and where relative to the rear axle) and what you expect the tongue weight of the trailer to be (which depends on equipment and cargo in the trailer) there is no way to know if there is a rear axle load issue and thus a reason to use a weight-distribution system. Without knowing the wheelbase of the truck or how the trailer will be loaded (big cargo box on the back?) there is no way to know if there is a potential stability issue.

Quote:
Is a E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch needed or is just an anti sway bar necessary?
Other than what GM says is required (in the owners manual) based on tongue weight, nothing is needed. Most WD fans will say that it is desirable; most people who would rather not use WD will say that it is not needed. Pick the person, and you have probably picked your answer.

Quote:
Any suggestions are appreciated.
My suggestion would be to start with a serious look at the truck's weight and axle loads, and a reading of the truck's manual. That should certainly provide information which will be relevant to the choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #7

Will ETI help with the decision once we arrive to pick it up? They may have suggestions when they see the tow vehicle. Perhaps we can determine then and have them install.

Thank You All! Will pass this thread over to my hubby, Lots to consider!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Will ETI help with the decision once we arrive to pick it up? They may have suggestions when they see the tow vehicle. Perhaps we can determine then and have them install.

There is a hitch center near Escape, called Trademasters where Escape sends their customers
Bumper Tow - Trademasters Truck Accessories
Old 07-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:

As far as ETI helping with the decision, when we were ordering I asked Reace if we would need a WDH for pulling a 21 with a half-ton Silverado. His reply was that we would definitely want a WDH. As far as sway control, he said the 21 is not very likely to sway. By its design, it is difficult to load it to have inadequate tongue weight. He added that the 19 is more likely to have inadequate tongue weight and sway issues, again because of its design.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #10

Has anyone installed air shocks or heavy duty shock absorbers in leau of a WDH?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have installed air shocks in my truck to keep the rear level with the front, BUT, this by no means increases my capacity nor does it shift any weight to the axles. A w/d set up will shift weight to the front of the tow as well as rearward on the trailer, thus shifting the weight to make the load even over the axles. So, if your capacity of your tow is such that axle weight need to be shifted, then a w/d is needed. If your axle capacity are ok and just need to raise the rear due the trailer squat, then air bags can be used.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Has anyone installed air shocks or heavy duty shock absorbers in leau of a WDH?
Not quite the same as air shocks, but since I didn't need to shift any load (as Jim explained, above) I added Firestone Coil-Rite air bags inside the coils springs of my Sienna van. They worked well, but the same type would not work with the Silverado's suspension.

For a leaf-spring pickup truck such as the Silverado 1500, rather than air shocks, the more effective addition would be air springs such as Firestone Ride-Rite, or Airlift RideControl (or Airlift LoadLifter5000, but that's bigger than needed here)... although you can just use air shocks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote