Towing with a 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 5.0 Escape
Towing with a 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 eco diesel with the 5.5 ft bed. I want to put a 5th wheel hitch in it to pull an Escape 5.0. Does anyone have this set up and what all did you have to do to put the hitch in? Thanks for any and all info. I can give my number so that we can have a conversation on the subject too.

Thanks and God Bless!!!!!!!
5 Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The listed payload capacity for your truck is as low as 970 Lbs and as high as 1170 lbs . Neither number is reassuring.
I would suggest you consult your owners manual towing section.

* I own a 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 5.7 Ltr V8 ,
3.92 rearend *
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Although this is a Ram 1500 and not a Ford F-150, the length and hitch position situation is essentially the same as 5.5' box F-150 owners. This has been discussed quite a bit recently, and so those discussions are useful - I suggest reading through them to get up to speed. The difference between the 5.0 and 5.0TA is that the 5.0 is 20 cm (8") narrower, so it can get away with a bit (almost 4") less distance from hitch to cab). Here are a couple that I found in a quick search:
5.0TA with 2015 F150 2.7L 5.5ft bed
Towing Escape TA 5.0 with 2011 F150 5.5 bed?
Steve mentioned a reason for the greater popularity (in this forum, anyway) of the F-150 over the Ram 1500 as a tug for the 5.0 (and especially for the 5.0TA): payload. The pin weight of the 5.0 is low as fifth-wheel travel trailers go (and a bit lower than the 5.0TA), but it's still significant. When you add pin weight, the weight of the hitch itself, the driver and passengers, and the cargo in the truck, it is very easy to exceed the capacity of the truck (which is payload). The F-150 is available with substantially higher payload, if the right configuration is chosen.

One issue which is specific to truck model is mounting the hitch to the truck's frame. Those other threads run through the mounting hardware choices - you just need to check for availability of mounting brackets for your truck.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

I checked and the max payload for my truck is 1390. Where did you get those values??
Thanks by the way for the info.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I know that a member here on the forum that purchased one of the early 5.0 TA back in 2013 had the same set up, you have the crew cab whereas I have the quad cab, a foot difference in bed size. He had one of the early scodiesel's and pulled his trailer all around the country without issue. The only issue with hauling the 5.0 TA I'm aware of is with the Ram is air suspension and the ram box storage. If you do not have these then you should be ok. Your capacity is a little less but with careful loading and 2 passengers you should be fine, with 5 passengers and a load of firewood plus the trailer, you maybe overloaded.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I have a 2015 eco diesel 6 ft. bed and had thought about a 5th wheel hitch. I did a quick check of Etrailer. It looks like they don't list a hitch for the 5 1/2' Ram and it appears they may have different hitches for the 6 ft. eco diesel and non eco diesel models. You may want to research their info. or call them.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #7

Trademasters in Chilliwack installs hitches for ETI Home - Trademasters Truck Accessories
Old 03-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Tone View Post
I checked and the max payload for my truck is 1390. Where did you get those values??
Thanks by the way for the info.
From the Ram towing capacity /payload website and the Ram eco diesel forum.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

Here you go, look up your specific truck Ram Trucks - Towing Guide - Capacity Chart
Steve, yours and mine are both 1600# (2015 model) payload, but your towing is greater due to your rear end.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here you go, look up your specific truck Ram Trucks - Towing Guide - Capacity Chart
Steve, yours and mine are both 1600# (2015 model) payload, but your towing is greater due to your rear end.
The payload in the Ram guide does not make allowances for options .The label on the post of my truck lists my payload as 1430 lbs as built. The dealer added step bars and Line X bed line to my truck .My payload is 1386 lbs after subtracting for the dealer added options.. The Ram 1500 Eco diesel is the identical truck to ours except the engine is about 400 lbs heavier , The GVWR and the RAWR are the same for all the Ram 1500 's thus the eco diesel has a lower payload capacity. The Ram 1500 Limited eco diesel
( The fully loaded 1500 with all the options ) has a payload of approx 900 lbs.. The problem / issue is not with the trucks towing capacity or the diesel engine ,the problem is strictly payload capacity..Even if the OP has a stripped down eco diesel ,there still is an issue with payload capacity.
I had the dealer run my Vin# with Ram and the payload shown
on the truck's sticker matched with the payload shown on the printout from Ram.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I have a 2015 eco diesel 6 ft. bed and had thought about a 5th wheel hitch. I did a quick check of Etrailer. It looks like they don't list a hitch for the 5 1/2' Ram and it appears they may have different hitches for the 6 ft. eco diesel and non eco diesel models.
In almost any modern pickup truck, despite the variations in cabs and boxes the truck is identical from the rear axle area rearward - all of the change in length due to different cabs and boxes is accommodated within the wheelbase. This means that the same brackets usually fit the same way regardless of the box length.

When retailers or manufacturers says that a fifth-wheel can only be used with a certain length of box, they are usually assuming a specific width of trailer (now typically 102", the legal maximum) and saying that there isn't enough clearance from hitch to cab to turn the trailer. Escape trailers are much narrower, so less distance is needed to the cab, and these blanket statements about usability do not necessarily apply.

I don't know what causes the dependence on the engine, but a reasonable guess might be that there is interference between the exhaust system and the mounting brackets, so you need brackets designed to fit with your exhaust.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The only issue with hauling the 5.0 TA I'm aware of is with the Ram is air suspension and the ram box storage. If you do not have these then you should be ok.
As I recall, the Rambox feature doesn't matter, but it is normally packaged with air suspension, and there is interference between some air suspension hardware (air hoses, etc) and the brackets. This is apparently not a big issue, but requires some attention during installation.

Air suspension is actually a great match with fifth-wheel towing; it is common to add air springs to trucks which tow big fifth-wheel trailers, so the suspension can be adjusted to the load.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #13

Other forum members have been down this path...

rscovell has a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel crew cab short box Laramie 4WD with air suspension and Rambox, and tows a 5.0TA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscovell View Post
Sue & I have been traveling down the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
We now have 17,666 miles on the truck (6 Months). My initial mileage on the highway without the trailer has stayed the same (25-26). Mileage with the trailer has varied, I do get 19-20 on the highway, but on hilly terrain it drops to 17-18. My initial warning on the Rambox option proved to be wrong, have not had any issues even with sharp turns. We really like this truck, it is very smooth riding and quiet. As Jim mentioned, the 8 speed transmission is terrific. In the hills it almost thinks for you, especially on steep down hill runs.

jhardie
also has a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, and uses the B&W Turnoverball/Companion hitch system:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardie View Post
A little update on the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel .... So far I'm still very impressed with this truck pulling the 5.0TA and I'm getting in the 18-20 mpg towing and have gotten over 31mpg not towing mostly 60-65 on freeways. As far as the B & W turnover ball hitch I had installed I'd say it was overkill for pulling the TA as it's rated at 20,000 ibs... The reason I put it in was so I could remove the hitch completely and use the bed without any rails etc and I felt it was well made. I have the 6'4" bed and I can get a close to 90deg turn if I needed to but hope I don't and I haven't had any issues with the Escape hitch set up. About the air suspension... As I mentioned in an earlier post the install was a B...H especially with the routing of the airlines but I would still choose it as an option... The ride is great and the truck self levels with the trailer attached. Overall I'm very happy with this truck.
Scuba55 has a Hemi (not EcoDiesel) Ram 1500 and uses the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system to tow an Escape 5.0. He posted photos of his setup.

Each of these members has several other posts about their Ram 1500 / Escape 5.0TA experience.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I had an ecodiesel shortbed 2014 longhorn loaded pulling 2015 5.0TA. I Used this configuration for a year and 18,000 miles without any issues. Trademasters installed the brackets and rails for a B&W patriot.
When I bought the ecodiesel, the dealer had me signed a document to acknowledge the payload of the truck being 895 pounds.
Now, my TV is 2500 Ram cummins and better peace of mind towing my 5TA - gas mileage is lower than the ecodiesel by 2 mpg
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Scuba55 has a Hemi (not EcoDiesel) Ram 1500 and uses the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system to tow an Escape 5.0. He posted photos of his setup.
Sorry - typo: Scuba55 has a 5.0TA (as you can see in his photos).

That's four Ram 1500 + 5.0TA combinations; 3 EcoDiesel and 1 Hemi, and at least two of them the 5.5' box.
Hitch variations:
  • B&W Companion on B&W Turnoverball
  • B&W Patriot on rails
  • Andersen Ultimate on rails

There is substantial variation in truck equipment (trim levels and options) and hitch hardware; there could be lots of variation in trailer equipment and cargo.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #16

Dodge Ram 1500 Eco diesel 5.5 ft bed

Curt makes custom brackets for the fifth wheel hitch to fit the Ram 1500 5.5 ft bed. I had mine installed and pulled the 5.0 Escape I bought home and all went great. Thanks again for all the input.