Towing with a Nissan Titan XD diesel - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
The Nissan XD is an excellent option. I test drove one last year with a friend who is in the market, even after my wife and I had bought the Ram. The Nissan XD is very close in spec's to my son's 2000 F-250 diesel with the 7.3 liter, both in weight (around 8000lbs) and torque. In fact at 555 lb-ft, the Nissan has more torque than my son's truck before my son chipped his.

We are fortunate to have an Escape owner who actually owns the Nissan XD to tell us about it. It's unfortunate that the choice of the Nissan receives criticism from forum members who own neither an Escape or a Nissan.

With that much torque, I suspect that Nissan owner rarely has to worry about downshifting, and if we all can stay positive with our remarks, maybe he'll keep posting his experiences.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
The Nissan XD is an excellent option. I test drove one last year with a friend who is in the market, even after my wife and I had bought the Ram. The Nissan XD is very close in spec's to my son's 2000 F-250 diesel with the 7.3 liter, both in weight (around 8000lbs) and torque. In fact at 555 lb-ft, the Nissan has more torque than my son's truck before my son chipped his.

We are fortunate to have an Escape owner who actually owns the Nissan XD to tell us about it. It's unfortunate that the choice of the Nissan receives criticism from forum members who own neither an Escape or a Nissan.

With that much torque, I suspect that Nissan owner rarely has to worry about downshifting, and if we all can stay positive with our remarks, maybe he'll keep posting his experiences.

Bill
I realize that you don't own a Nissan Titan diesel but I still value your opinion .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:

Bill
Yes, I agree with you Bill and I cleaned up the thread to keep it more positive and objective and less subjective.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
A good post as always Bill.

Love hearing good, informed posts about potential future purchases I may or may not make. In my world, a heavy half rocks, especially with enough factory engine to tame the hills I frequent, in a manner I like.

Does Nismo/Nissan sell crate motors? Specifically the Cummins?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Does Nismo/Nissan sell crate motors? Specifically the Cummins?
I don't think Nissan sells this engine for the aftermarket. Nismo is their brand (meaning just Nissan Motorsports) for performance-oriented products; this isn't a match for them (they don't appear to have anything for trucks at all)... and even for the cars their retail products are mostly suspension and appearance bits, rather than engines.

You can, of course, buy a new engine from Nissan as a replacement part, or a rebuilt. This isn't like a typical "crate motor", which is set up to install in something other than the original vehicle. Getting all of the supporting bits and adapting them to anything other than a Titan XD would likely be a huge project.

Cummins does have its own Cummins Crate Engines operation, but so far they only offer their 2.8L 4-cylinder diesel (R2.8)... not the 5.0 V8. This is an engine which is not sold in any production vehicle in North America, and is offered as an upgrade for older vehicles which are not subject to current emission limits. The R2.8 cannot meet current emission limits in the form which is it offered as a crate engine (no diesel particulate filter, no selective reduction catalyst). This is the engine which was shown by Cummins and by Nissan in a Frontier project/concept a few years ago, for publicity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (August, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Wow, that hitch setup is some kind of pricey! Would be nice to have a flat bed when it's out though. One more XD question, what does that engine turn at 70 mph with that Aisin? My Dodge is just under 2K when the torque converter locks up..so it's right in the power curve for a diesel...

Towing our 5.0TA at 71 mph with Tow Mode enabled, I see the RPMs are ~1,700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
labearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #27

I realize I do not have a Nissan, as there are few out there, but wanted to post 2 pictures, one showing my stats on the drive to Chilliwack, unhitched Sept 2016 to pick up the 19 and the second one returning from Osoyoos, 9 months later towing the 19 in May 2017
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0645.jpg   IMG_1291.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I realize I do not have a Nissan, as there are few out there, but wanted to post 2 pictures, one showing my stats on the drive to Chilliwack, unhitched Sept 2016 to pick up the 19 and the second one returning from Osoyoos, 9 months later towing the 19 in May 2017
My Ram dashboard looks surprisingly similar except my RPM's run slightly higher possibly due to my 3.92 rearend.

** The 2018 gas Hemi V8 is predicted to get two to three more miles per gallon than the current Hemi V8 **
Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My Ram dashboard looks surprisingly similar except my RPM's run slightly higher possibly due to my 3.92 rearend.

** The 2018 gas Hemi V8 is predicted to get two to three more miles per gallon than the current Hemi V8 **
I have the 3:21 rear end.....I wonder what magic they are doing to get that, adding a 10 speed? My 2009 Hemi with 5 speed and 3:55 never got more than 12, towing or unhitched.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #30

Can we get a mod to move this to the Dodge thread?

Apparently the rumor is the new gen RAMs will have some aluminum, just not in the box. Won't want to repeat Ford's mistake.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:

Apparently the rumor is the new gen RAMs will have some aluminum, just not in the box. Won't want to repeat Ford's mistake.
Blown away by the Ford haters on the aluminium.

Look at the manufacture fuel economy standards all the brands have to reach. Why do you think Jeep added multiple compact cars with AWD with some jeep logos and 7 slot grills? To bring the company average up since most of there market is SUVS with poor fuel econ. Ford chose the route of lighter truck and turbos. Ram picked more gears. Chevy cylinder displacement. Time went on and Ford is adding more gears, Ram already added fuel displacement, before chevy now that I think of it, and Chevy added an 8 speed, after having 4 speed then finally 6 speed trans standard in half thier line up. And chevy continues to add aluminum parts to the truck, after bashing aluminium in the Fords...

Now, I find the Nissan Titan extra ugly in the newest iteration. And over priced ( i started looking at them as an option to replace my f150 in the fleet capacity as i take my f150 into personal use). Far too expensive, especially considering parts cost down the road. I recall it being over 3k more for a base model regular cab long box 4x4 vs a Ford truck.
However, they pulled the trigger on a heavy half ton option, WITH a diesel. Ford offers the HDPP, but you will be running an ecoboost if you want that. Chevy decided on putting an oil burner in the mid size. Nissan looks like they decided there are enough people who need a heavy half (and want the room of a full size), but dont want to deal with a 10k lb GVWR truck and the hassles that come with it ie yearly inspections etc. Good for them for giving it a try.

I personally wish Nissan updated the Frontier and kept and updated the Xterra as a wrangler alternative, but they put the bet on the full size plus truck.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
labearit,
Thanks for the dash photo.
What does tow mode on your Nissan do? Lower gear, more engine braking? Or is it a change in shift points?

My hat is off to your 71mph towing. I've had one tire incident with a trailer and that was while bringing a friend's just purchased used Airstream home with 12 year old tires at 60 mph. Until recently the tires for Escapes were rated for a max of 65mph. Just wouldn't want to see you injure your new one. There's been some talk about higher speed ratings recently on the Carlisles. Maybe yours is ok.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (August, 2017)
Quote:
labearit,
Thanks for the dash photo.
What does tow mode on your Nissan do? Lower gear, more engine braking? Or is it a change in shift points?

My hat is off to your 71mph towing. I've had one tire incident with a trailer and that was while bringing a friend's just purchased used Airstream home with 12 year old tires at 60 mph. Until recently the tires for Escapes were rated for a max of 65mph. Just wouldn't want to see you injure your new one. There's been some talk about higher speed ratings recently on the Carlisles. Maybe yours is ok.
Bill

Not sure about changing shift points, I'd have to look at that more closely. I'm told it does lower the top gear by one and definitely provides more engine braking.

I checked with ETI and the radial tires we have are rated at 80mph. Max speeds we drive are 65 to 70. Might need to ease up just a tad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
labearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Blown away by the Ford haters on the aluminium.

I'd be blown away too if my work truck couldn't handle an (alleged/urban legend) toolbox in the bed.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I'd be blown away too if my work truck couldn't handle an (alleged/urban legend) toolbox in the bed.
Right, because everyone drops an 80-100 lb toolbox on its corner into the bed of their 1/2 ton truck, or drops piles of cinder blocks into it from a backhoe....lol. And of course, nobody uses a bedliner either.

Excuse me while I go take a pick axe to the bed of my truck....

It's been mentioned before, but Chevy is going to look awful silly when they change to an aluminum truck for the Silverado - and eventually they will.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #36

I wonder why they do not return to the wooden beds in pick ups, easily fixed and environmentally friendly.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder why they do not return to the wooden beds in pick ups, easily fixed and environmentally friendly.
They're gorgeous too. I suppose it has to do with cost.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
.... And of course, nobody uses a bedliner
Not true , My truck has both a spray in bed liner and a rubber bed mat. After 3 years I do not have one hole in the bed of my truck but that could be because my truck is made of Military Grade Steel and not of aluminum.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Right, because everyone drops an 80-100 lb toolbox on its corner into the bed of their 1/2 ton truck, or drops piles of cinder blocks into it from a backhoe....lol. And of course, nobody uses a bedliner either.

Excuse me while I go take a pick axe to the bed of my truck....

It's been mentioned before, but Chevy is going to look awful silly when they change to an aluminum truck for the Silverado - and eventually they will.
Yeah i mean if buying a 30-80 thousand dollar truck you plan to drop cinder blocks into a bed without even a cheap plastic liner then ok I guess. Thats what I dont get, like who isnt running a bed liner of any type in thier truck??
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

What mistake might that be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote