Towing with a Nissan Titan XD diesel - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
They're gorgeous too. I suppose it has to do with cost.

And weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by labearit View Post
Not sure about changing shift points, I'd have to look at that more closely. I'm told it does lower the top gear by one and definitely provides more engine braking.

I checked with ETI and the radial tires we have are rated at 80mph. Max speeds we drive are 65 to 70. Might need to ease up just a tad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great instruments picture! I'll bet you don't even need tow haul mode 95% of the time you're towing your super light TA! If what you think is true about never shifting into the top gear, I'll bet your RPM's might even drop another 100-150 for possibly even better mileage. But those RPM might also drop you out of the engine's sweet torque/power curve, be interesting to see how she pulls and reacts to medium hills without tow mode. Thanks for your great information on this tow vehicle option! Suggestion, if it doesn't have one already within the probable selection of engine/dash info, get a tranny temp gauge, that's my main "hill climb" indicator!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Right, because everyone drops an 80-100 lb toolbox on its corner into the bed of their 1/2 ton truck...
The toolbox in the GM ads is empty. It's also an old-style square-cornered steel box; I don't know how many people use those now.

The GM people stumbled across a difference that they could exploit in advertising. By the standards of pickup ads, I think it's pretty good - at least it's a real toolbox and real trucks, unlike the fantasy loads and scenarios which are common in this marketing. I think the best was the pickup pulling a ship out of the water... yeah. The Ram pulling a 40-foot shipping container was brilliant, counting on the audience to not realize that it's empty.

Now, back to the Titan... is there an issue with its box material? I haven't heard of any.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Any updates on this perfectly good, but derailed thread?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Any updates on this perfectly good, but derailed thread?
Not really , The Ford F-150 is still #1 , The Nissan is still #5 or #6 and the 2019 Ram looks pretty good to me .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
I just want to report we are getting 36 mpg in our 2017 Chevy 2500HD, i.e. 21 highway plus 15 city. Seriously we get 21 mpg with mixed 60-70 mph running empty and 14-16 mpg towing our 21 running 60-65 and a little @70 mph. I know it is overkill, but I love all the torque. It has almost twice as much as my 2002 Duramax had.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #47

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
We are looking for a different TV and would love to hear about your experience with the Ram Eco-diesel. The Nissan Titan XD is on our list too. We currently have a Tacoma and are finding it a bit of a struggle and want something with more power. Initially looked at the 1500 Eco Diesel but are curious about it's power.
yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
I just want to report we are getting 36 mpg in our 2017 Chevy 2500HD, i.e. 21 highway plus 15 city.
Umm....pretty sure that's not how miles per gallon are calculated. In this case, your average mpg is 18, not 36.

We could do it that way though, then I could claim 40 mpg instead of 21. [emoji23]
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
I just want to report we are getting 36 mpg in our 2017 Chevy 2500HD, i.e. 21 highway plus 15 city. Seriously we get 21 mpg with mixed 60-70 mph running empty and 14-16 mpg towing our 21 running 60-65 and a little @70 mph. I know it is overkill, but I love all the torque. It has almost twice as much as my 2002 Duramax had.
I like it! I’ve been calculating “Combined mileage” wrong all these years!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mileage calc

That’s what I call thinking outside the tank. Reminded me of when they allowed ground horse meat to be added to other products in the butcher shop. Sign said “ground rabbit with horse meat. Balance is 50/50.” When asked about the balance, the butcher confirmed. “One horse to one rabbit = 50/50 right?”
Iowa Dave
Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologals View Post
We are looking for a different TV and would love to hear about your experience with the Ram Eco-diesel. The Nissan Titan XD is on our list too. We currently have a Tacoma and are finding it a bit of a struggle and want something with more power. Initially looked at the 1500 Eco Diesel but are curious about it's power.
My friends tow a 5,500+ lb horse trailer (weight with two medium size horses) with their 2016 4X4 EcoDiesel, which they love. They report it tows this amount of weight really well, power to spare, and no need for a WDH or sway control. They say they are getting about 26 - 27 mpg not towing, and 15 - 16 mpg while towing.

When I was looking to buy my pickup, EcoDiesels were not easy to find or buy, so I bought a 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado with the Duramax instead. This truck has similar towing capacity as the EcoDiesel (i.e. 7,400 lbs), and I believe a bit higher payload (mine is 1,390 lbs as written on the driver's side door sticker). I bought this truck to tow our incubating 19'. So far it has been a stellar rig. With a little over 6,000 miles on it, I am now averaging 30 - 31 mpg, driving at 65 mph up and down the grades of central Idaho, which astounds me to no end. How is this possible?? The truck feels heavy and solid and has plenty of power. I don't yet know what mpg will be towing our 19' as we haven't gotten it yet, but I've seen others with this same truck reporting up to 18 - 19 mpg while towing. Hope this helps!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #52

Thanks so much! The struggle is real....
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Here is a message I sent a fellow owner by IM:

We love our Ram. It’s a 2016 Crew Cab 4WD Limited, so it has most of the goodies, including the self adjusting air suspension, which makes leveling the trailer and hitching and unhitching much easier. We have put over 10,000 miles on this trip and plan to be home tomorrow.
We now have 37,000, so just went out of the three year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, but still have power train warranty for several years, and up to 100,000 miles, I think.
For the TA, you would want to keep in mind that the payload is less than some other trucks, so if your pin weight is 800 or whatever it is, to check on the payload rating of the truck you’re looking at. Depending on how it is equipped, it could be as low as 1100 pounds and possibly around 1350.
The engine is wonderful, and perfectly suited to our trailer at about 4200 to 4400 pounds as we have it now. The 8 speed transmission is a joy. I rarely put it in tow/haul mode since that seems to lock out 8th gear and holds each of the other gears longer. I guess if the weight were higher, I’d need to use that more. It does not have the exhaust brake that GM has on their mid-size 2.8L, but I have had enough engine hold-back except on a 16% grade once when I had to use brakes a bunch.
Over the whole trip, mpg has been 18.1. I’ll let you convert to to k and l. I travel at 55mph when on lesser roads and 65 on interstates, so about 50-50. It seems happiest at 62, where it will go into 8th gear if the road is level and there’s no headwind.
Final thought: Fiat-Chrysler is in ongoing class action litigation with the U.S. EPA and other plaintiffs regarding the propriety of the emissions program on the EcoDiesel, much like Volkswagen. I monitor the transcripts of the proceeding, and testing is continuing with the next update due in August, concerning what re-flash of the computer might be acceptable and what restitution to owners might occur. We have two diesel Audi A6s that we have gotten $10,000 payments as restitution and a new very long engine/emission warranty, so all this is acceptable to me. If I were buying one, I’d certainly use the knowledge of the litigation as a bargaining tactic to my advantage.
Feel free to call any time, if you have international calling, or I can call you, since we have that. 423 802-0604.
Oil changes are at 10,000 mile intervals and take 10 liters of pricey oil. Got one done at a dealer for $128, so try to negotiate some free oil changes if you’re talking to a Ram dealer. I got four.
The price of the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is inconsequential $2.79 per gallon at the pump at large truck stops, and it uses about a gallon per 1,000 miles—so $28 for this trip even while towing, less when not towing, I think.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Katherine- the White Bird Grade is a pretty good test. Cruised up it a month ago to visit friends in Kamiah and will do it again shortly when we pry ourselves away from Stanley Lake.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Katherine- the White Bird Grade is a pretty good test. Cruised up it a month ago to visit friends in Kamiah and will do it again shortly when we pry ourselves away from Stanley Lake.
Excellent!! Enjoy Stanley, it's an incredible place, don't be in a hurry to leave! Yes WB Hill is a big test, and the prospect of having to tow our Escape up and down it was a main reason for going with the diesel. The Chevy's exhaust brake, and reports of other owners' experiences with it, were big selling points.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:01 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bill and Earline,
very concise, comprehensive summary, thanks for the review........
Old 06-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #57

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Thanks, Jim.
For anyone considering the Ram, I did get the 3.55 rear axle ratio, to get the best mileage. I think the 3.92 was also available. If I need extra power to back into a tough uphill spot, I just use 4 wheel low.
I also got the Undercover Flex brand of triple flip bed cover and am very pleased with it. It's been waterproof.
Torque is comparable to the Hemi, the diesel just doesn't rev like a gas V-8.
You never make your money back for the additional cost of the Diesel engine, it's just personal preference. It was fun to pay less for diesel than gasoline in British Columbia the past couple of months.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Here is a message I sent a fellow owner by IM:

We love our Ram. It’s a 2016 Crew Cab 4WD Limited, so it has most of the goodies, including the self adjusting air suspension, which makes leveling the trailer and hitching and unhitching much easier. We have put over 10,000 miles on this trip and plan to be home tomorrow.
We now have 37,000, so just went out of the three year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, but still have power train warranty for several years, and up to 100,000 miles, I think.
For the TA, you would want to keep in mind that the payload is less than some other trucks, so if your pin weight is 800 or whatever it is, to check on the payload rating of the truck you’re looking at. Depending on how it is equipped, it could be as low as 1100 pounds and possibly around 1350.
The engine is wonderful, and perfectly suited to our trailer at about 4200 to 4400 pounds as we have it now. The 8 speed transmission is a joy. I rarely put it in tow/haul mode since that seems to lock out 8th gear and holds each of the other gears longer. I guess if the weight were higher, I’d need to use that more. It does not have the exhaust brake that GM has on their mid-size 2.8L, but I have had enough engine hold-back except on a 16% grade once when I had to use brakes a bunch.
Over the whole trip, mpg has been 18.1. I’ll let you convert to to k and l. I travel at 55mph when on lesser roads and 65 on interstates, so about 50-50. It seems happiest at 62, where it will go into 8th gear if the road is level and there’s no headwind.
Final thought: Fiat-Chrysler is in ongoing class action litigation with the U.S. EPA and other plaintiffs regarding the propriety of the emissions program on the EcoDiesel, much like Volkswagen. I monitor the transcripts of the proceeding, and testing is continuing with the next update due in August, concerning what re-flash of the computer might be acceptable and what restitution to owners might occur. We have two diesel Audi A6s that we have gotten $10,000 payments as restitution and a new very long engine/emission warranty, so all this is acceptable to me. If I were buying one, I’d certainly use the knowledge of the litigation as a bargaining tactic to my advantage.
Feel free to call any time, if you have international calling, or I can call you, since we have that. 423 802-0604.
Oil changes are at 10,000 mile intervals and take 10 liters of pricey oil. Got one done at a dealer for $128, so try to negotiate some free oil changes if you’re talking to a Ram dealer. I got four.
The price of the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is inconsequential $2.79 per gallon at the pump at large truck stops, and it uses about a gallon per 1,000 miles—so $28 for this trip even while towing, less when not towing, I think.

Great to hear some first hand info. Especially the details. Thank you so much!!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander

Nice report Bill and Earline. Had some friends look at the 21 yesterday. Fired up the air as it was hot in the building and she seemed to think the cooling versus the noise it makes was a very reasonable trade off. Going to rain today, maybe I’ll put the fine tune on the shelves. Readjusted the hitch as the receiver height on the 2018 was considerably higher than the 2012. Nothing like a report from folks who have been there and done that. Packard’s motto
“Ask the man who owns one”. Still true.
Iowa Dave