Towing with a Nissan Titan XD diesel - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologals View Post
We are looking for a different TV and would love to hear about your experience with the Ram Eco-diesel. The Nissan Titan XD is on our list too. We currently have a Tacoma and are finding it a bit of a struggle and want something with more power. Initially looked at the 1500 Eco Diesel but are curious about it's power.
My friends tow a 5,500+ lb horse trailer (weight with two medium size horses) with their 2016 4X4 EcoDiesel, which they love. They report it tows this amount of weight really well, power to spare, and no need for a WDH or sway control. They say they are getting about 26 - 27 mpg not towing, and 15 - 16 mpg while towing.

When I was looking to buy my pickup, EcoDiesels were not easy to find or buy, so I bought a 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado with the Duramax instead. This truck has similar towing capacity as the EcoDiesel (i.e. 7,400 lbs), and I believe a bit higher payload (mine is 1,390 lbs as written on the driver's side door sticker). I bought this truck to tow our incubating 19'. So far it has been a stellar rig. With a little over 6,000 miles on it, I am now averaging 30 - 31 mpg, driving at 65 mph up and down the grades of central Idaho, which astounds me to no end. How is this possible?? The truck feels heavy and solid and has plenty of power. I don't yet know what mpg will be towing our 19' as we haven't gotten it yet, but I've seen others with this same truck reporting up to 18 - 19 mpg while towing. Hope this helps!

salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #52

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
Thanks so much! The struggle is real....

yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Here is a message I sent a fellow owner by IM:

We love our Ram. It’s a 2016 Crew Cab 4WD Limited, so it has most of the goodies, including the self adjusting air suspension, which makes leveling the trailer and hitching and unhitching much easier. We have put over 10,000 miles on this trip and plan to be home tomorrow.
We now have 37,000, so just went out of the three year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, but still have power train warranty for several years, and up to 100,000 miles, I think.
For the TA, you would want to keep in mind that the payload is less than some other trucks, so if your pin weight is 800 or whatever it is, to check on the payload rating of the truck you’re looking at. Depending on how it is equipped, it could be as low as 1100 pounds and possibly around 1350.
The engine is wonderful, and perfectly suited to our trailer at about 4200 to 4400 pounds as we have it now. The 8 speed transmission is a joy. I rarely put it in tow/haul mode since that seems to lock out 8th gear and holds each of the other gears longer. I guess if the weight were higher, I’d need to use that more. It does not have the exhaust brake that GM has on their mid-size 2.8L, but I have had enough engine hold-back except on a 16% grade once when I had to use brakes a bunch.
Over the whole trip, mpg has been 18.1. I’ll let you convert to to k and l. I travel at 55mph when on lesser roads and 65 on interstates, so about 50-50. It seems happiest at 62, where it will go into 8th gear if the road is level and there’s no headwind.
Final thought: Fiat-Chrysler is in ongoing class action litigation with the U.S. EPA and other plaintiffs regarding the propriety of the emissions program on the EcoDiesel, much like Volkswagen. I monitor the transcripts of the proceeding, and testing is continuing with the next update due in August, concerning what re-flash of the computer might be acceptable and what restitution to owners might occur. We have two diesel Audi A6s that we have gotten $10,000 payments as restitution and a new very long engine/emission warranty, so all this is acceptable to me. If I were buying one, I’d certainly use the knowledge of the litigation as a bargaining tactic to my advantage.
Feel free to call any time, if you have international calling, or I can call you, since we have that. 423 802-0604.
Oil changes are at 10,000 mile intervals and take 10 liters of pricey oil. Got one done at a dealer for $128, so try to negotiate some free oil changes if you’re talking to a Ram dealer. I got four.
The price of the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is inconsequential $2.79 per gallon at the pump at large truck stops, and it uses about a gallon per 1,000 miles—so $28 for this trip even while towing, less when not towing, I think.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Katherine- the White Bird Grade is a pretty good test. Cruised up it a month ago to visit friends in Kamiah and will do it again shortly when we pry ourselves away from Stanley Lake.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Katherine- the White Bird Grade is a pretty good test. Cruised up it a month ago to visit friends in Kamiah and will do it again shortly when we pry ourselves away from Stanley Lake.
Excellent!! Enjoy Stanley, it's an incredible place, don't be in a hurry to leave! Yes WB Hill is a big test, and the prospect of having to tow our Escape up and down it was a main reason for going with the diesel. The Chevy's exhaust brake, and reports of other owners' experiences with it, were big selling points.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Bill and Earline,
very concise, comprehensive summary, thanks for the review........
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #57

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Thanks, Jim.
For anyone considering the Ram, I did get the 3.55 rear axle ratio, to get the best mileage. I think the 3.92 was also available. If I need extra power to back into a tough uphill spot, I just use 4 wheel low.
I also got the Undercover Flex brand of triple flip bed cover and am very pleased with it. It's been waterproof.
Torque is comparable to the Hemi, the diesel just doesn't rev like a gas V-8.
You never make your money back for the additional cost of the Diesel engine, it's just personal preference. It was fun to pay less for diesel than gasoline in British Columbia the past couple of months.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #58

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Here is a message I sent a fellow owner by IM:

We love our Ram. It’s a 2016 Crew Cab 4WD Limited, so it has most of the goodies, including the self adjusting air suspension, which makes leveling the trailer and hitching and unhitching much easier. We have put over 10,000 miles on this trip and plan to be home tomorrow.
We now have 37,000, so just went out of the three year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, but still have power train warranty for several years, and up to 100,000 miles, I think.
For the TA, you would want to keep in mind that the payload is less than some other trucks, so if your pin weight is 800 or whatever it is, to check on the payload rating of the truck you’re looking at. Depending on how it is equipped, it could be as low as 1100 pounds and possibly around 1350.
The engine is wonderful, and perfectly suited to our trailer at about 4200 to 4400 pounds as we have it now. The 8 speed transmission is a joy. I rarely put it in tow/haul mode since that seems to lock out 8th gear and holds each of the other gears longer. I guess if the weight were higher, I’d need to use that more. It does not have the exhaust brake that GM has on their mid-size 2.8L, but I have had enough engine hold-back except on a 16% grade once when I had to use brakes a bunch.
Over the whole trip, mpg has been 18.1. I’ll let you convert to to k and l. I travel at 55mph when on lesser roads and 65 on interstates, so about 50-50. It seems happiest at 62, where it will go into 8th gear if the road is level and there’s no headwind.
Final thought: Fiat-Chrysler is in ongoing class action litigation with the U.S. EPA and other plaintiffs regarding the propriety of the emissions program on the EcoDiesel, much like Volkswagen. I monitor the transcripts of the proceeding, and testing is continuing with the next update due in August, concerning what re-flash of the computer might be acceptable and what restitution to owners might occur. We have two diesel Audi A6s that we have gotten $10,000 payments as restitution and a new very long engine/emission warranty, so all this is acceptable to me. If I were buying one, I’d certainly use the knowledge of the litigation as a bargaining tactic to my advantage.
Feel free to call any time, if you have international calling, or I can call you, since we have that. 423 802-0604.
Oil changes are at 10,000 mile intervals and take 10 liters of pricey oil. Got one done at a dealer for $128, so try to negotiate some free oil changes if you’re talking to a Ram dealer. I got four.
The price of the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is inconsequential $2.79 per gallon at the pump at large truck stops, and it uses about a gallon per 1,000 miles—so $28 for this trip even while towing, less when not towing, I think.

Great to hear some first hand info. Especially the details. Thank you so much!!
yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander

Nice report Bill and Earline. Had some friends look at the 21 yesterday. Fired up the air as it was hot in the building and she seemed to think the cooling versus the noise it makes was a very reasonable trade off. Going to rain today, maybe I’ll put the fine tune on the shelves. Readjusted the hitch as the receiver height on the 2018 was considerably higher than the 2012. Nothing like a report from folks who have been there and done that. Packard’s motto
“Ask the man who owns one”. Still true.
Iowa Dave