Towing with a Nissan Titan XD diesel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Towing with a Nissan Titan XD diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by labearit View Post
We got the diesel and it tows like a dream. Tons of torque. Got 20 mpg on the 4-day drive to Chilliwack. Will be interesting to see the mileage towing.

Don't own one, but wanted to get a thread going for this vehicle on here.

BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (August, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Don't own one, but wanted to get a thread going for this vehicle on here.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
labearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Titan Gas Versus Diesel

We've been looking at the Titan's. Found this video comparing the diesel versus the V8, both without load and towing with a load, albeit it is for the 2016 models.

Here's the link:

Regards
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
The diesels are still pretty much unicorns as far as spotting one, in diesel heavy TX, I've seen 2. But man are they purty......used ones are also showing up in the low $30's....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
The diesels are still pretty much unicorns as far as spotting one, in diesel heavy TX, I've seen 2. But man are they purty......used ones are also showing up in the low $30's....

I will admit the looks are growing on me and there must some aftermarket goodies by now.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The most attractive part of the vehicle is the Cummins Diesel
but beauty is in the eye of the beholder !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
We've been looking at the Titan's. Found this video comparing the diesel versus the V8...
Both are V8's, so it's really the diesel versus the gas.

Quote:
The diesels are still pretty much unicorns as far as spotting one, in diesel heavy TX, I've seen 2.
That appears to be a local thing... I think all of the Titan XDs I've seen here are diesel. I just checked our local dealer's online stock search: they have 5 diesels and 1 gas. All crew cabs, all 4X4, and CA$67K to CA$79K.

Spotting them is easy - I just go the Nissan dealership where they have lots. I very rarely see one on the street...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:00 AM   #8

I got the first XD at one of my local dealers. At the time, the gas version was not out yet. Now, my dealer sells mostly gas and the other big dealer sells mostly diesel 4x4. Mine was the only one I saw on the road locally for some time, but now I am seeing them more frequently.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #9

I got 20 mpg driving from Louisiana to Chilliwack to pick up the 5.0TA trailer. I averaged 14.5 mpg to 16.8 mpg on the multi-day towing drive from Lynden, WA to West Yellowstone and on to Jackson Hole, WY. A good mix of flat roads, hills, and mountain passes. Engine towed without even panting. All engine components (oil, transmission, etc.) operated within normal range.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
I got 20 mpg driving from Louisiana to Chilliwack to pick up the 5.0TA trailer. I averaged 14.5 mpg to 16.8 mpg on the multi-day towing drive from Lynden, WA to West Yellowstone and on to Jackson Hole, WY. A good mix of flat roads, hills, and mountain passes. Engine towed without even panting. All engine components (oil, transmission, etc.) operated within normal range.

Wow, 20 with a new engine sounds pretty good, I'll be interested to see if it gets better through break in (50,000K!!!, Hah!) I get the same towing mpg on my TA with my 5.9L Cummins, but it never touches 20 unloaded. Congrats on your new trailer, you're gonna love it!
BTW, did you get the Nissan bed mounted ball and opt for the Andersen hitch?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I get the same towing mpg on my TA with my 5.9L Cummins, but it never touches 20 unloaded.
Wait, are you saying you get better mileage towing than not towing?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #12

Oh no....just tops out in the 19's...
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Wow, 20 with a new engine sounds pretty good, I'll be interested to see if it gets better through break in (50,000K!!!, Hah!) I get the same towing mpg on my TA with my 5.9L Cummins, but it never touches 20 unloaded. Congrats on your new trailer, you're gonna love it!

This trip started with ~10,400 miles. I now have ~14,500 so it's still "new" and this is the first time she's towed in the 15 months since I bought it. I have gotten better "highway" mileage (~+2 mpg) on non-towing trips but on this trip to Chilliwack, we pushed hard to optimize our time for the return trip with the new RV. We did, however, occasionally drive the posted speed limit.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:

Oh, we did a fair amount of research on hitches before settling for the Curt 16k head with the base that accommodates the Nissan OEM puck system. The base only debuted in July for our August trip. A snap to install. Why did Nissan adopt a puck system different from all the other majors is above my pay grade!

Old 08-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Oh, we did a fair amount of research on hitches before settling for the Curt 16k head with the base that accommodates the Nissan OEM puck system. The base only debuted in July for our August trip. A snap to install. Why did Nissan adopt a puck system different from all the other majors is above my pay grade!
The Titan XDs that I've seen only have a ball in the bed floor, plus two safety chain hook points - no mounting points for a puck system. I asked B&W about the Titan XD, and they responded that they had considered an adapter to mount their Companion to it, but had not committed to this product.

As far as I can tell from hitch listings, GM, Ford, and Ram all have different puck system spacings (one of which matches the Reese Power Puck aftermarket product); I don't think there's a clear standard to follow, but matching one already available from an aftermarket supplier would make sense. Curt now offers their bases for all three of these puck systems.

Looking at the CURT OEM Puck System 5th Wheel Legs for Nissan Titan XD (#16026) - used with the E16 hitch (#16071) and the A16 hitch (#16073) - I see what's going on now... it isn't a four-puck base at all. Curt is selling a base which ties into the ball socket and the safety chain puck-style mounting points, although they just call them all "pucks". It looks like a solid system.

The mounting is more clear in the instruction sheet than the product listing.

Tim, I'm just curious... the Titan Crew Cab has a 78.7" (2 metre) box, with cab to axle spacing roughly like other 6.5' boxes. It's not clear if the hitch head can be bolted into the leg frame at different positions to move the pin forward or rearward. Did you have a choice, what position did you pick for the pin if you had a choice, and how is clearance to the cab?

Any one more question: did you choose the E16 or A16 hitch? They are different head designs.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Titan XDs that I've seen only have a ball in the bed floor, plus two safety chain hook points - no mounting points for a puck system. I asked B&W about the Titan XD, and they responded that they had considered an adapter to mount their Companion to it, but had not committed to this product.

As far as I can tell from hitch listings, GM, Ford, and Ram all have different puck system spacings (one of which matches the Reese Power Puck aftermarket product); I don't think there's a clear standard to follow, but matching one already available from an aftermarket supplier would make sense. Curt now offers their bases for all three of these puck systems.

Looking at the CURT OEM Puck System 5th Wheel Legs for Nissan Titan XD (#16026) - used with the E16 hitch (#16071) and the A16 hitch (#16073) - I see what's going on now... it isn't a four-puck base at all. Curt is selling a base which ties into the ball socket and the safety chain puck-style mounting points, although they just call them all "pucks". It looks like a solid system.

The mounting is more clear in the instruction sheet than the product listing.

Tim, I'm just curious... the Titan Crew Cab has a 78.7" (2 metre) box, with cab to axle spacing roughly like other 6.5' boxes. It's not clear if the hitch head can be bolted into the leg frame at different positions to move the pin forward or rearward. Did you have a choice, what position did you pick for the pin if you had a choice, and how is clearance to the cab?

Any one more question: did you choose the E16 or A16 hitch? They are different head designs.

Nissan and Curt all called this setup "pucks" so I am just repeating what they are saying--perhaps incorrectly.

Got the A16 head. There are two sets of mounting holes for that base, but was only able to mount it in one position. A curious design to provide what appears as a choice to adjust forward or backward but that was not my reality. Maybe a different head allows for that option. Fortunately, I have no need for adjustment although Dennis at ETI would have liked to have the head moved back one setting for a little more bumper clearance. That said, there's no problem making the hardest turn you want from both the bumper clearance and the nose/cab clearance. We tested and watched this carefully just to be sure. Few things in life are perfect and this setup is one more example. Got to say, the truck, 5.0TA, and hitch combo work together flawlessly. So I'm going to let perfection go for now! [emoji2]

Old 08-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #17

Wow, that hitch setup is some kind of pricey! Would be nice to have a flat bed when it's out though. One more XD question, what does that engine turn at 70 mph with that Aisin? My Dodge is just under 2K when the torque converter locks up..so it's right in the power curve for a diesel...
Old 08-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Wow, that hitch setup is some kind of pricey! Would be nice to have a flat bed when it's out though. One more XD question, what does that engine turn at 70 mph with that Aisin? My Dodge is just under 2K when the torque converter locks up..so it's right in the power curve for a diesel...

I'll have to make a note to check the RPM @ 70 mph.

Also, I saved just over 50% ordering the entire hitch assembly online including the wiring harness extension. Installed it all myself in no time flat. B&W told me they were still designing legs for the Nissan puck system. In time, there will be more choices in the market which should help pricing.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Nissan and Curt all called this setup "pucks" so I am just repeating what they are saying--perhaps incorrectly.

Got the A16 head. There are two sets of mounting holes for that base, but was only able to mount it in one position. A curious design to provide what appears as a choice to adjust forward or backward but that was not my reality. Maybe a different head allows for that option. Fortunately, I have no need for adjustment although Dennis at ETI would have liked to have the head moved back one setting for a little more bumper clearance. That said, there's no problem making the hardest turn you want from both the bumper clearance and the nose/cab clearance.
Thanks

Curt calls it a "puck" system, but Nissan (in the owner's manual) only uses the term puck - confusingly - to refer to both the safety chain mounting points (which work like the other "puck" systems) and to the cover plugs for them and the ball socket. The primary attachment point is the ball socket, which is quite different.

It looks like the multiple sets of holes in the Curt leg frame are just to accommodate different heads (E, A, and Q heads all fit), and not to allow a choice of fore/aft positions - too bad.

The box length is fortunate - a shorter box with the same hitch wouldn't likely work for cab clearance.

The Titan manual suggests that there might be a Nissan accessory frame, which would attach to the truck the same way as the Curt product; it appears to be designed to work with common rail-mount hitches. Of course the Curt leg frame is the way to go when using a Curt hitch head... and the Nissan adapter might not actually exist.
Attached Thumbnails
TitanFifthWheelAdapter.JPG  
Old 08-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #20

Quote:
According to the specs initially released by Nissan, 6th gear has a 0.634:1 ratio, the final drive ratio is 3.916:1, and the tires are sizes which vary from 31.5" to 32.5" overall (so 661 to 639 rev/mile).

At 70 miles per hour, that's 746 to 772 rpm at the wheels, or 1851 to 1914 engine rpm (with the torque converter locked)... assuming no spec changes, typos, or math errors.

The same specs say that the peak torque is 555 @ 1,600 rpm, so this is a reasonable engine speed to be running, and if the torque is the same at 1900 rpm (and it will be close) there is 200 horsepower available at 1900 rpm. If that's not enough, shift down to 5th for about 250 hp at 2500 rpm, or 4th for about 285 hp at 3000 rpm (any lower gear would over-rev the engine) for more power.