Towing with a Ram 1500 - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #121

Trailer: Escape 21
The Rams have coil springs in the rear rather than leaf springs. This cuts their stated payload versus the leaf spring trucks, but the coil springs improve the ride. The other thing that cuts the payload in the Rams are the Ramboxes, which add to the base weight. On the Ram forums, there is a lot of talk about using Airlift air bags that fit inside the coil springs to level the truck when towing or hauling. I think an Escape is light enough that unless you use up all the payload capacity with options, you should be able to stay within the limits.

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #122

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Wow. All this math and big words that are freaking me out.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #123

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
The Rams have coil springs in the rear rather than leaf springs. This cuts their stated payload versus the leaf spring trucks, but the coil springs improve the ride.
Ram may have chosen relatively soft springs to achieve soft ride in the 1500, but the form of spring (coil versus leaf) does not make that necessary. Some very large and heavy vehicles have coil springs, and those coils are as stiff or soft as the designer chooses.

The Ram 2500 now has rear coils, too, which doesn't stop it from having up to 3,970 pounds of payload capacity; that's two tons in a "3/4 ton" truck, and only 6% off the 4,240 pounds of Ford's equivalent, the leaf-sprung F-250. Other coil-sprung trucks include the Unimog (all sizes, all versions, from the first Unimog in 1946 to current), and most recent U.S. military trucks.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #124
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Trip to Townsend, Tn with the 2014 Ram hemi, 8 sp, 3:21 rear end. I got 14.5 mpg going down and 13.5 returning, the difference due to wind conditions. For comparison, my 2009 Ram Hemi with 5 sp and 3:55 rear got 12 mpg. Total miles was 1100. Next test, 8000 miles to Osoyoos via California.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #125

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
So far, I've been getting 18-20 MPG mostly towing, some city and a little highway unhooked with my 2014 Ram Ecodiesel. Very happy with the truck.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #126

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Just sold the 5.0 to a couple with a 2012 Ram 1500, 5.5' Ram Box. The trailer fit like a glove. The weight of the trailer dropped the back of the trailer a bit but no more than it did on my HD F150. I rode with the new owner for about 20 miles and I didn't notice anything untoward. The new owner was happy. He called just the other day when he got back home to Branson Mo and said everything was good.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Just sold the 5.0 to a couple with a 2012 Ram 1500, 5.5' Ram Box. The trailer fit like a glove.
Mark, would you be willing to hazard a guess if the 5.0TA would work with the RAM box?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #128

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Bruce, Three things. One thing that you may have to look into is potential interference between the 5.0TA hitch box and the top of the box sides when turning. The hitch of the TA extends forward from the trailer at a relatively shallow (almost horizontal) angle. The 5.0 hitch drops down at about 45 degrees. The ram box is about 48" wide so you only have about 24" on each side (to make a 90 degree turn). Not likely but just to be safe. The new owner was concerned about this so I made some simple measurements for him. Measure 24" back from the king pin and mark this spot on the hitch box. Then measure the distance from this spot to the ground. If the distance to the ground is greater than the height of the pickup bed rail to the ground, that is the clearance that you will have when turning. This particular Ram was 53" box rail - ground.

The other thing is that you may have to shorten the length of the hitch release arm. If the arm of your hitch release extends more than 24" from the centre of the hitch when in the open position you will not be able to release the hitch.

The third thing is not related to the trailer but to the Ram box (and possibly other Ram's). No 5th wheel hitch manufacturer makes a bracket (or at least admit to it) for attaching the hitch to the Ram box frame. The new owner of our trailer had custom brackets manufactured that attach the hitch to the Dodge frame without drilling holes.

The new owner of our trailer set his hitch about 32" back from the back window of his pickup and can make a fairly sharp turn. 90 degrees would definitely result in contact between the truck window and the trailer. I think this is an issue with all (or most) 5.5 boxes.

Hope this helps, Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #129

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Absolutely wonderful Mark, thanks. As a vertically challenged individual, I like the idea of the 'box quite a bit.

Next truck, unless the competition is compelling in the unforeseeable future.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #130
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
There was a member here with the Rambox and the 5.0 TA, sold it recently. RSCovell If my memory serves me. No issue with the box but a big no for the air suspension, it interferes with the hitch bolt pattern.