Towing with a Ram 1500 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
There are several reasons why Diesel costs more here, most of which have been mentioned above. The taxes on Diesel are higher as well. If diesel fuel were say, 75 cents cheaper per gallon than gasoline, I think we would seriously consider a diesel truck -- even with the much higher vehicle price.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Without knocking any ones choice of engine the one thing I don't understand is why there is such a difference in gas and diesel fuel. Right now diesel is $1.00 more than gas and on a 20 gal. fill, this would bite. That has pretty much been the spread all last year. Gas today by my house is $1.89.
Without taking this into a debate about economic politics, there are good reasons for diesel to be more expensive than it was, and more expensive than gasoline.
  • As I mentioned earlier, diesel is more expensive to produce than in the past.
  • All pricing is driven by demand, and diesel demand has gone up more than gasoline demand. This is due in part to the relatively recent popularity of diesel engines in pickup trucks. The fact that almost no one buys anything made locally also drives commercial transportation demand (truck and train fuel) up.
  • For the same volume, diesel contains more energy than gasoline, which makes it more valuable as a fuel, and so consumers should be willing to pay more for it.
All of these factors are here to stay, so I would not expect the cost premium of diesel fuel over gasoline to end any time in the foreseeable future.

In addition, winter is the high-demand time for diesel and low-demand for gasoline, so the diesel premium will be at its peak for the year.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
If people switched from gasoline powered vehicles to cheese-powered vehicles, the government would raise taxes on cheese to make up for their losses on gasoline.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Hey, if I could get better mileage in a cheese-powered truck, I'd take one. Would it run better on American or Swiss?

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If people switched from gasoline powered vehicles to cheese-powered vehicles, the government would raise taxes on cheese to make up for their losses on gasoline.

Yes, taxes are applied for various reasons (skirting around the politics here...) and if people will buy something at twice the current price - and it is not staple groceries - it is a clear target for a 100% tax.

Road construction and maintenance consumes a lot of public money, and any motor fuel is heavily taxed. Decades ago propane was a popular fuel here for fleets of small vehicles (taxis, tow trucks...) entirely due to cost, but the cost advantage was largely just the lack of taxes (because propane is not taxed here as a motor fuel). Almost no one uses propane as fuel for road-going vehicles here now.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #46

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Without knocking any ones choice of engine the one thing I don't understand is why there is such a difference in gas and diesel fuel. Right now diesel is $1.00 more than gas and on a 20 gal. fill, this would bite. That has pretty much been the spread all last year. Gas today by my house is $1.89. Loren
Nice price Loren, keep it that way until we get to Leavenworth on the 9th. Filling up in MN the other day it was 2.25, which is better than the .87 a litre here!

We had two diesels in the 80's and 90's, a Volvo and a VW, but had expensive problems with both. I would still shy away from them especially with the 1.00 higher price per gallon. We are happy with our F150 with the 4.6 towing our 5.0 classic.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksAlot View Post
Hey, if I could get better mileage in a cheese-powered truck, I'd take one. Would it run better on American or Swiss?
He said cheese, not plastic... so I guess the answer is Swiss.

Real made-in-the-USA cheese (e.g. Cheddar) would be good, too.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksAlot View Post
Hi: MarksAlot... Canadian Raw Milk Cheddar packs a lot more wallop to the ounce. Very nippy!!!
How come no one with a diesel talks about the cost of the Urea additive? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
How come no one with a diesel talks about the cost of the Urea additive?
Refilling the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) - which is a urea solution - is certainly an annoyance. On the other hand, it is used in such small quantities that I can't see the cost mattering.

The 2015 Ram 1500 owner's manual diesel supplement says that the DEF tank holds 30 litres; that lasts for many thousands of kilometers, so that must be less than one cent per kilometer... unless you have a Mercedes and pay your dealer to supply it and pour it in, in which case maybe you deserve to pay whatever they charge.

What are the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel owners paying for DEF (if they have gone far enough to need a refill)?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
A tank of DEF will last about 5,000 miles and the first year of service is included. It's even sold at Walmart and not that expensive. The DEF tank is filled when the truck is serviced at the dealer. No major cost and it helps the environment.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote