Towing with a Ram 1500 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #81

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Deleted.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Where do you find the ratio, I've looked on my sticker and did not find it?
You can also crawl under and visually inspect the differential, the ratio is stamped and/or tagged on it.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #83

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
The ratio should be reflected on the window sticker. Using your VIN number you can look up the original sticker at the location below:

Use your VIN number to get Dodge Window Sticker
Old 02-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #84
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
I'm researching a tow vehicle for my on order 5.0 TA. Looks like some EcoDiesel owners are towing 5.0 TA's. How are they doing with the relatively light standard payload capacity of ~1,200 lbs?

Dry TA hitch weight is 600 lbs., which when loaded doesn't leave much room for truck occupants and additional stuff (in the truck).
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bob Covell in Florida has that set up and the trailer is for sale. I spoke with him at the Ist Annual Eastern Escape Rally and he was getting close to 19 towing and in the twenties unhitched with he ecodiesel. He had no issue with the payload.
His diesel may also be for sale, not sure.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I just drove from Clovis, CA to Quartzsite, AZ and was getting from 18.5 towing/city, to 25.5 towing on a flat part of I10. Last tank is showing 19.9, all towing.

With the 8 speed trans, you have a huge range of gears and with 420 foot lbs of torque at 2000 RPM, she pulls like a train. Pulling a 5.0 TA would be a dream.

I'm very happy with my 2014 Ram Ecodiesel 4X4.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #87

Wow, that's great towing mileage!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #88

Trailer: 5.0TA Nov '14
I'd have to agree with Mark...I've only towed the 5.0TA about 2500 miles with my 2014 1500 Ecodiesel... The worst mileage I've experienced was 15.7mpg driving down the coast of Oregon in stormy weather with a strong headwind...average for me has been 19-21mpg mixed hills and level roads and freeway at 55mph was 23.4mpg... These figures are figured with the Gas Cubby app. I drove I-5 from southern CAL area to my home in Port Townsend WA not towing and averaged 26mpg with the last tank 28.1mpg.

I'm very happy with the truck and pulling the trailer is a great experience! Very pleased with the $2.38/gal fuel cost too!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #89

That's get mileage from a full size truck, especially while towing. Might consider that for my next Ram!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #90

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
5th WHEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
I'm researching a tow vehicle for my on order 5.0 TA. Looks like some EcoDiesel owners are towing 5.0 TA's. How are they doing with the relatively light standard payload capacity of ~1,200 lbs?

Dry TA hitch weight is 600 lbs., which when loaded doesn't leave much room for truck occupants and additional stuff (in the truck).
Also you will have 150 Lbs of hitch bolted in your truck bed . The loaded trailer and hitch alone could easily eat up 800 to 900 lbs of your payload capacity ,leaving as little as 300 Lbs for passengers and gear . Not much of a margin for error . Too Close for my comfort !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #91

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the fifth wheel you lose most of your bed for carrying extra items anyway. In addition most "1/2" ton trucks are made for carrying 1500# or less. In addition the "payload" is for bed contents only, not passengers in the truck, that effects GCVW. So you still have capacity to carry 4-500# as a margin.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Honestly, I have a 5th wheel hitch permently mounted in the bed (too heavy for me to take in and out). Other than a sheet of plywood, I have traveled and camped where the bed is PACKED! I should have taken a picture. So anyone telling you it's a problem, has never owned one.

My first major trip was to the Oregon Gathering (Ten Forward was 7 days old). I put this (+ other stuff) in the bed:

Folding 8' table
two folding lawn chairs
small folding table
2 ton aluminum racing jack
10' EZ up
9'x12' patio mat (+ welcome mat)
large cooler
Oregon banner + PVC stand (6' pieces)

As long as there's room for the hitch to swing and everything is below the truck bed rails (except at the front), you're good to go. AND if the truck can handle the weight. In my case, unless I carry bricks, I'll never exceed my truck's capacity. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #93

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Beer is in the cooler, I presume?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #94

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... most "1/2" ton trucks are made for carrying 1500# or less.
I agree. Since half a ton is only 1000 pounds, this shouldn't be surprising. The trucks informally known as "half-tons" - Ford F-150, Ram 1500, GMC/Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan - are now all well beyond that rating.

Quote:
In addition the "payload" is for bed contents only, not passengers in the truck, that effects GCVW. So you still have capacity to carry 4-500# as a margin.
Payload is the maximum allowed weight of the vehicle (GVWR) minus what the vehicle weighs itself (curb weight). Whether that payload rides in the box or sits in the back seat makes no difference - it counts the same either way. That 1500 pounds (or so, depending on make and model) includes the passengers.

Gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is the maximum allowed for the loaded truck plus loaded trailer - everything that the truck is moving down the road. It says nothing about how much can be in the truck - that's GVWR.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As long as there's room for the hitch to swing and everything is below the truck bed rails (except at the front), you're good to go. As long as the truck can handle the weight. In my case, unless I carry bricks, I'll never exceed my truck's capacity. YMMV
I agree that the truck must be able to handle the weight. Donna, what's the payload (or GVWR - we can work with either number) of your F-150?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #96

Trailer: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Honestly, I have a 5th wheel hitch permently mounted in the bed (too heavy for me to take in and out). Other than a sheet of plywood, I have traveled and camped where the bed is PACKED! I should have taken a picture. So anyone telling you it's a problem, has never owned one.

My first major trip was to the Oregon Gathering (Ten Forward was 7 days old). I put this (+ other stuff) in the bed:

Folding 8' table
two folding lawn chairs
small folding table
2 ton aluminum racing jack
10' EZ up
9'x12' patio mat (+ welcome mat)
large cooler
Oregon banner + PVC stand (6' pieces)

As long as there's room for the hitch to swing and everything is below the truck bed rails (except at the front), you're good to go. As long as the truck can handle the weight. In my case, unless I carry bricks, I'll never exceed my truck's capacity. YMMV
You had TWO folding lawn chairs?!
Jfocallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #97

Payload

Quote:
With the fifth wheel you lose most of your bed for carrying extra items anyway. In addition most "1/2" ton trucks are made for carrying 1500# or less. In addition the "payload" is for bed contents only, not passengers in the truck, that effects GCVW. So you still have capacity to carry 4-500# as a margin.
Payload is equal to the vehicle's GVWR - The curb weight of the vehicle including options.
Passengers and any cargo carried in the vehicle or truck bed is counted as payload.
Why would they have a 150 lb payload allowance for the driver if passenger weight is not counted? Also if you look at the new SAE towing standards they make reference to passenger weight

" The payload of a vehicle is determined as the allowable load weight a truck can carry, including ,the weight of the driver ,all passengers , options and cargo"

Jim ; You can find the above word for word quote on Page 589 (lower left side of page) of your 2014 Ram owners manual
Old 02-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post

This discussion is a good reminder that configuration details matter. The truck's payload can be an issue with any trailer, but especially with the 5.0TA. The Ram Trucks Canada web page for the capability of the 1500 includes
Quote:
With a towing capacity up to 10,650 lb (4,831 kg) and payload up to 1,930 lb (875 kg)
... so with the right configuration choices, there's lots of capacity. But what is that configuration? I found the Ram web page for configuration pretty useless (it doesn't show the capacity changes caused by the many drivetrain choices), so I have no idea.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #99

configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This discussion is a good reminder that configuration details matter. The truck's payload can be an issue with any trailer, but especially with the 5.0TA. The Ram Trucks Canada web page for the capability of the 1500 includes

... so with the right configuration choices, there's lots of capacity. But what is that configuration? I found the Ram web page for configuration pretty useless (it doesn't show the capacity changes caused by the many drivetrain choices), so I have no idea.
From what I've read ,the 1930 lb payload capacity is for a standard long bed pickup (not quad or crew cab) Hemi V8 engine , 2 wheel drive ,17" LT tires , 8 speed auto transmission,
3,92 rear end . It is basically a barebones standard truck with a big motor and a low ratio rearend . The kind of truck that few people buy but the numbers look good in an ad . It seems all of the automakers fudge their towing numbers
Old 02-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #100
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfocallag View Post
You had TWO folding lawn chairs?!
hahahahaha. Joan is laughing at me. Met her camping last month out camping and didn't even bring along ONE. She saved me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote