Towing with a Toyota FJ Cruiser? Or simply driving one? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 15A
My brother had a FJ for a few years. One complaint I heard from him was the difficulty of getting in and out of the back seat. If no one is riding back there then it is not an issue.

JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Another complaint I've heard is the near vertical front window. Rather than glancing off, rocks tend to leave their mark. Cracked windshields are par for the course if you drive on gravel roads.

bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Cracked windshields are par for the course if you drive on gravel roads.
Only if you are following someone too closely…….
Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Cracked windshields are par for the course if you drive on gravel roads.
Only if you are following someone too closely…….
Following someone closely is not the only way your vehicle can suffer windshield damage. If you travel gravel roads or paved roads in winter conditions where the road crews use gravelly sand for managing slippery conditions, it is quite common for oncoming vehicles to throw gravel particles into the opposing lane. You have absolutely no control over this type of windshield damage. Around here, winter is the very worst season for incurring windshield damage.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Following someone closely is not the only way your vehicle can suffer windshield damage. If you travel gravel roads or paved roads in winter conditions where the road crews use gravelly sand for managing slippery conditions, it is quite common for oncoming vehicles to throw gravel particles into the opposing lane. You have absolutely no control over this type of windshield damage. Around here, winter is the very worst season for incurring windshield damage.
I agree.

I have had to replace several windshields over the years - and should have replaced many more according to safety recommendations - but never due to a rock from a vehicle directly in front of me. Opposing traffic and vehicles ahead in other lanes are the problem. Big trucks tend to be particularly bad because their large tire tread grooves grab large stones, but any vehicle can be the source.

Vehicle designs vary in their vulnerability to this damage. It's not just the windshield angle, but that's part of it. I would guess the FJ would be bad for this, but I don't know.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I normally do not travel on gravel roads but the last 3 windshields were due to trucks traveling in my direction but traveling without proper flaps. It would not seem probable for an opposing truck to throw an object since their opposite direction would tend to throw it in the same direction I'm traveling. Either way it is a consequence of commerce and driving.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It would not seem probable for an opposing truck to throw an object since their opposite direction would tend to throw it in the same direction I'm traveling.
And yet it is common. The rocks can be flying at nearly right angles to the road direction, and hit by the windshield of another vehicle - this is particularly an issue at highway speeds. A couple years ago, I lost a side window to a stone from a vehicle passing in the opposite direction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Funny (or is it sad, really) that us Albertan's seem to be the experts on cracked windshields...
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Like any vehicle, the FJ has some aspects which could be improved on, biggest being the large blind spots and a propensity to incur rock damage on the windshield. It is also not a great family vehicle as access to the back seat can be challenging at times. But there are many features that make this a great vehicle including its unique styling with the triple wipers and suicide doors. After three years with mine, I can honestly say that it is as fun to drive now as the day I brought it home. The engine produces plenty of horses, and the FJ is unstoppable on hills, mud and snow. It performs exceptionally as a tow vehicle for my 19' Escape and has no difficulties pulling the Escape on everything from long steep and winding mountain roads to flat prairie terrain.

Here is a photo of our FJ and Escape next to the tallest mountain in the Canadian Rockies (Mt. Robson).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #30

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
A few years ago on a trip to the Yucon 9 hits in the front windshield and several on the body mirrors and ect. Don't tell icbc where it happened because they dont cover glass out of Prov. Just say a local Hi-way. Or so Ive been told by some dude at a local glass shop.FYI