Towing with a Tundra - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
Most upscale SUVs, especially European models, have a "paddle shifter" system, but I'm surprised that tow-oriented vehicles like the Tacoma don't have it.
I don't think it matters whether you have paddles, steering wheel buttons, or "+" and "-" on the shift lever - they can all do the same thing. In some vehicles, they control manual shifting, but on others they just move one step at a time between the classic automatic transmission selector positions (leaving automatic operation active).

Even the classic PRNDL-style shifter can do the same thing, if it is convenient enough to move; although this will usually still be automatic with an upper gear limit, rather than completely manual, that's usually what you want anyway when towing. That generally works fine in my Sienna.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
In my truck, with a 5 speed auto, when I push the button to turn overdrive off the torque converter will lock up in 4th but with overdrive on it locks up in 5th so it isn't just stopping the transmission from using a higher ratio.

Barry
Barry, do you mean it locks up only in 5th with the button in overdrive mode?

This is a good point - you can get some programming changes - like with tow/haul - as well as blocking overdrive. Unfortunately, you are also blocking that top gear, even if it might be desirable at times to use it.

My Sienna will lock up the torque converter in at least 4 and 5, and I think 3, even with the shifter in "D" (which means use any of the 5 gears); it does not have a tow/haul mode or "overdrive" button.

Since every transmission and transmission control program can be different, this is a situation which calls for reading the owner's manual to understand what selections are appropriate and what transmission behaviour will result.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Barry, do you mean it locks up only in 5th with the button in overdrive mode?

This is a good point - you can get some programming changes - like with tow/haul - as well as blocking overdrive.

Yes. Locks up only in 5th with overdrive on and only in 4th with overdrive off.

When towing I always turn overdrive off and have found that I get better mileage by doing so. When I get to a hill I release the gas pedal momentarily, this unlocks the torque converter, then take the revs up to 3000 which is the max torque for my engine and rarely ever have to downshift to third by driving this way.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #44

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Our Tundra has, like Donna's, a button at the end of the gear selector that you push to "turn overdrive off". I'm going to defer to Brian as to how it does what it does ....
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote