Towing with Hybrid? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Towing with Hybrid?

I'm planning on replacing my gas-guzzler with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid (Tow rating 3500 lb) and I'm looking for a suitable small travel trailer to tow. Anyone have any experience towing an Escape with this vehicle or any other hybrid?
oregonpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Re: Towing with Hybrid?

I believe that Pat and Mara are towing a 2010 Escape 17B with a Highlander Hybrid.

They were at the Escape Rally in Merritt this past weekend, and are very happy with both towing vehicle and trailer.

I don't have their contact information, but perhaps someone else on the forum knows it.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Hello Oregon Pete,

Brian is correct Pat does tow his 17' Escape trailer with a Toyota Highbrid as well as a couple of other 17' Escape owners. If you would like me to provide you with contact information so you can email these customers directly please email me at Escape Trailers and I will provide you with contact information.

PS Thank you Brian for letting me know about Pete's request.

Tammy
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"

I too am planning on towing (a 15' Escape) with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid V6 w towing pkg. Good to read the comments on towing with the hybrid.

My concern is that on very steep downhills, I have no ablitly to downshift in the hybrid. I can shift to use by 'B' gear for regenerative braking. I will be towing over steep mtn passes and have one (2 miles stretch of 14% grade) that I drive every year. Should I be concerned that I cannot downshift and my ability to slowdown is controlled only by my brakes?

thank you.

- Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

Jane:
The Toyota Highlander Hybrid uses regenerative braking as well as hydraulic braking: Here is information from Autoshop 101 I found by searching for Hybrid Brake Systems.

The hybrid vehicle brake system includes both standard hydraulic brakes and a unique regenerative braking system that uses the vehicle’s momentum to recharge the battery. As soon as the accelerator pedal is released, the HV ECU initiates regenerative braking. MG2 is turned by the wheels and used as a generator to recharge the batteries. During this phase of braking, the hydraulic brakes are not used. When more rapid deceleration is required, the hydraulic brakes are activated to provide additional stopping power. To increase energy efficiency the system uses the regenerative brakes whenever possible. Selecting 'B' on the shift lever will maximize regenerative efficiency and is useful for controlling speeds downhill. In ‘B’ mode about 30% of the energy is recovered.
If either the regenerative or hydraulic braking system fails, the remaining system will still work. However, the brake pedal will be harder to press and the stopping distance will be longer. In this situation, the brake system warning light will illuminate.
The battery will accept charge up to an instantaneous rate of 20 to 21 KWH. Much of the energy from light braking at high speeds and harder braking at lower speeds can be recovered. Excess energy over the charging limits is wasted as heat in the brakes just as in other cars. At this time there is no way for the customer to know the limit of regenerative energy recovery.

2003 Subaru Forester
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #6

Thank you, Brian. Is your Highlander a V6?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler24
Thank you, Brian. Is your Highlander a V6?
Yes, a V6 4WD. In September we used it to tow our trailer to the Okanagan and back. We travelled to Osoyoos via the Hope-Princeton and returned from Summerland via the Okanagan Connector and Coquihalla. Both these roads have challenging mountain passes, including long up and downhill sections. On downhill sections I downshifted and used the brakes gingerly. The front of the trailer provides air braking which helps.

2003 Subaru Forester
Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #8

Hi Brian,

When you refer to 'downshifting' do mean changing to the B 'gear'? As far as I know that is the closest that you can come to downshifting in this Hylander. Thank you,

- Jane