Towing With Toyota 4Runner - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hadn't heard about any request to remove; was that previously mentioned here? Link still works for me.
It was only indirectly mentioned here. Some guy keeps files on a website called slaga.net; the owner of this particular material asked him to remove it; I no longer see that whole folder... it may just be cached by your browser, so it might not really be posted any more.

Just a heads-up for others: they may not be able to see, and so may need to pay RV Consumer Group for it if they want it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd be happy if they said, "we just put that there to cover our #ss".
Anyway, can't mitigate an issue if you don't know what the issue is.
But don't you see- that is the issue; they don't want any issues, especially where competitiveness meets the safety nexus.

Kind of like the Cell carrier telling their dealers they cannot sell nor even mention Wilson amplifiers. It may infer that their network needs help.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P;
I no longer see that whole folder... it may just be cached by your browser, so it might not really be posted any more.

Just a heads-up for others: they may not be able to see, and so may need to pay RV Consumer Group for it if they want it.
You're right; I don't see it on a different browser. This publication costs $13.95. Its 79 pages and has great information- a must for newbies
Old 08-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #44

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Quote:
You'll probably never hear anything from them except corporate speak. Since the 2008 Highlander doesn't have that warning in the manual perhaps it has to do with the wheelbase of the RAV4(104.7").

If one reads How to Tow Safely I posted previously there is mention of how using a WDH with spring bars set too tight can be more dangerous than not having them at all.

http://www.slaga.net/RV/How%20to%20Tow-version%202.pdf
If one reads How to Tow Safely I posted previously there is mention of how using a WDH with spring bars set too tight can be more dangerous than not having them at all.

Hi Rossue: I'm not able to open the link, but what is the dange of setting the spring bars too tight- and what is too tight?

Leisure Lee
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post

Hi Rossue: I'm not able to open the link, but what is the dange of setting the spring bars too tight- and what is too tight?

Leisure Lee
Hi Lee- How To Tow Safely by JD Gallant (Consumer RV Group) is a very complete manual of 79 pages. When I was searching towing safety I found the publication online for free. It was subsequently taken down, however it is very much worth $10.95: How to Tow Safely

Lot of good reading in this guide- especially if you are safety-minded.

What Mr. Gallant is essentially saying is that overtensioned spring bars may remove enough pressure from the rear axle to cause the rear wheels of the towing vehicle to lose traction with a resulting loss of steering control.

When I set up my new Pro Series RB2-with the round bars like Escape used to sell but now sells the trunnion or straight bar unit- the instructions have you measure the chains by having the hook on the spring brackets be parallel to the ground. You then take the chain link that goes up that high and that is the one to use.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post
... what is the dange of setting the spring bars too tight- and what is too tight?
Quote:
What Mr. Gallant is essentially saying is that overtensioned spring bars may remove enough pressure from the rear axle to cause the rear wheels of the towing vehicle to lose traction with a resulting loss of steering control.
Yes, or at least over-application of the WD system can reduce the rear tire traction to have too little traction in proportion to the mass of the rear of the vehicle, causing a lack of control.

Correct adjustment of any WD system requires
  1. measuring the load on the front axle (or the height of the tow vehicle at the front axle as indication of load) without the trailer,
  2. then measuring again with the trailer hitched and WD not applied,
  3. then adjusting the WD springs so that the load on the front axle is restored to a value closer to the unhitched condition, but no greater (that is, a height lower than without WD, but no lower than without the trailer).
For an example, I noticed while reading the manual for a Ford Flex during discussion of that vehicle and WD, that Ford says to restore the front axle load to midway between the levels for the trailer unhitched, and the trailer hitched but WD not applied.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
First off, I feel that after 35,000'miles of towing with our Highlander I'm set up just right. I owe this to AZJack doing the initial setup. As far as spring tension, when I hook up on dead level hard surface, I can bring the hitch ears over center and put the pin in that holds the chain without the cheater pipe. I'd estimate this takes about a hundred pounds of up force from my hand and arm. The second side goes up easier. Not that I have an aversion to spending money on instruction books but there is also an excellent guide to towing in the online Sherline Scale website. It does not cover all the points but would certainly be something a person new to towing should read. My advice is to set your bars, take a test drive, , if you don't like how the trailer acts,'change one thing at a time, keep track of you heights and settings, on dead level paving. Set your tanks up the way you plan to run too. It makes a difference.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #48

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For an example, I noticed while reading the manual for a Ford Flex during discussion of that vehicle and WD, that Ford says to restore the front axle load to midway between the levels for the trailer unhitched, and the trailer hitched but WD not applied.
I have been doing WDH set up and the attached chart is the values I have come up with. My intention was to have both car and trailer level. To do this the bars are parallel with the tongue and 3 links are loose. To follow Fords recommendation the care would squat. Maybe I will resort to two links loose.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img027.pdf (23.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
I have been doing WDH set up and the attached chart is the values I have come up with. My intention was to have both car and trailer level. To do this the bars are parallel with the tongue and 3 links are loose. To follow Fords recommendation the care would squat. Maybe I will resort to two links loose.
If the car is level before hitching up, it should not be level (assuming normal springs, not a self-leveling system such as air suspension) with a trailer, because you have added substantial load to the back. The vehicle designer knows this, and the attitude when unloaded reflects and expectation that when load is carried in the back it will squat down to some extent.

Even if you follow the recommendation of some WD system manufacturers to return the front ride height all the way to the non-towing level (instead of Ford's direction), the front axle will be carrying the same load as when not towing, and the rear axle will be carrying more, so the back will still be somewhat lower and the vehicle will squat a bit. It's not a problem if it's not excessive.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, or at least over-application of the WD system can reduce the rear tire traction to have too little traction in proportion to the mass of the rear of the vehicle, causing a lack of control.
When we first had our Flex set up with a WDH in 2012 we noticed that when braking somewhat hard we felt a pulsing sensation. At first I suspected a trailer brake drum out of round. It checked out OK. Then I noticed brake dust on the rear TV wheels but not those on the front as one would expect.
Turns out the ABS was pulsing the rear brakes. Ford has a reason for recommending a proper weight distribution between front and back on the TV. Increased weight on the TV rear wheels and increased brake controller setting stopped the problem.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Thanks All: good information. I've measured the front of the tow before hookup, and aimed for close to that measurement when WDH is attached. Have enjoyed good towing over lots of miles- but there does seem to be a lot of stress exerted on the hitch receiver. I keep watching for signs that the receiver may be twisting upwards- and have it inspected during regular service. My experience is that three links hanging rides very well- but I would be unable to set up without the cheater bar. With two links hanging, there is barely any tension on the chains, and the ride suffers.
Dave
I will remeasure using suggestions here.
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #52

We have now completed a few trips pulling the 19 with our 4 Runner and made the following adjustments. The Pro Series WDH has the head bolted to the lowest position. The head is tilted one position off centre with 2 links loose on the chains. With trailer attached the TV is lower 1/4" at the front wheel and 1 & 3/8" down at the back wheel. Also I added a handy lifting handle to the insert which doubles as a cable holder. It is two cable ties inside a length of garden hose. I replaced the cable with a longer one to reach the TV connection under left side of the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1656.jpg   IMG_1657.jpg  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
After market hitch for 2014 4Runner

I read this thread with great interest. I'm planning on towing an Escape 21 with my 2014 Toyota 4Runner. I'm concerned that the 21 is very close to the limits of my vehicle's towing capacity and hitch weight. However Hidden Hitch, Reese or Draw-tite do not offer hitches for the 2014 4Runner. I am interested in any ideas on other 4Runner model years or Toyota models with hitch receivers that would fit, or other makes of after market receivers.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #54

Replacing your factory hitch with an aftermarket hitch will not increase the tow rating of a 5th gen 4 Runner. The hitch you now have is solid. The earlier 5th gen manuals recommended the use of a WDH but later versions do not mention the use of a WDH. I would tow the 21 with the factory hitch.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Hi Brian,
I appreciate your recommendation, since after reading your other posts, you have put a lot of thought into this.
Richard
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I read this thread with great interest. I'm planning on towing an Escape 21 with my 2014 Toyota 4Runner. I'm concerned that the 21 is very close to the limits of my vehicle's towing capacity and hitch weight. However Hidden Hitch, Reese or Draw-tite do not offer hitches for the 2014 4Runner. I am interested in any ideas on other 4Runner model years or Toyota models with hitch receivers that would fit, or other makes of after market receivers.
An average loaded weight for a 21' will be 4300 lbs.
The tongue weight could be, for instance, 470 lbs. You can adjust that to what you want.
Your weights should be fine especially including the GCWR.
Whether it works well for you depends upon where and how you travel, the kinds of roads and grades and speeds you expect.

Agree on above recommendation for a factory hitch.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I checked the ScanGauge website and see that the gauge works by connecting to the OBDII diagnostic port on the vehicle. Is there an extra step to get the transmission temperature that would require the talents of a vehicle mechanic?
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
I checked the ScanGauge website and see that the gauge works by connecting to the OBDII diagnostic port on the vehicle. Is there an extra step to get the transmission temperature that would require the talents of a vehicle mechanic?
It depends on the vehicle. You need to enter some codes & a description for most vehicles. Some codes are available on the ScanGuage website; others can be found at various vehicle forums. For example, I had to go the the RAV4 forum for codes for mine, and again to the Tacoma forum when I bought the new truck.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
I use the Torque app on my smartphone to monitor transmission temperature on my 4Runner. I had to enter a two custom PID's in the app to get it to display the transmission cooler outlet temperature and torque converter outlet temperature; message me if you want the code. I think the app was <$5 (can't tell in Play store because I already paid for it) and you had to buy if you wanted to input custom PID's.

I connect to the car using a Bluetooth OBDII connector that I bought off Amazon for $20.

When I researched the Scangauge in the 4Runner forums it sounded like you needed to purchase additional custom program to see tranmission temperatures. However, those articles were older so the Scanguage may have been updated since then.

It should be noted that the Torque app uses lots of battery power when running and my phone gets quite warm. I typically only start the app when I know I will be climbing lots of hills and I have found that I don't use it that much.

I described my first experience towing with 4Runner and the transmission shifting and temperatures here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post152299
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
As far as I know there are no aftermarket receiver hitches available for the 5th gen 4Runners. The factory receiver hitch (in Canada) is rated for the vehicle towing capacity and use with a WDH according to our 2012 Owners Manual.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote