Towing With Toyota 4Runner - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching

Old 04-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Brian you totally misunderstood my post, the aftermarket DOES NOT tie into the crossmember because that is NOT as structurally sound as the main frame rails. Looking at the design of the crossmember it will definitely handle a vertical load better that any rotational forces. The V6 OEM is only connected to the stamped steel crossmember is a much weaker connection. This is evident the V8 4Runner version which uses a design similar to the aftermarket, does have a WDH rating and has increased tow capacity.
No, I understood it.
  • OEM for V6: attached only to crossmember, not strong enough for WD
  • aftermarket and OEM for V8: attached only to framerails, tube of receiver is stronger than crossmember

I think that it would be better if the aftermarket and V8 hitches had a connection to the crossmember (where the OEM V6 hitch box attaches) in addition to the structure it already has. The combination would be stronger... although obviously the aftermarket/V8 design is strong enough by itself for the rated towing capacity of the vehicle.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #32

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Who pulls stock with no mods but a trailer brake?

GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
It uses three bolts into each of the frame rails and one toward each end into the cross member...
Yep, exactly as I would expect from Ian's photo. For anyone who would like an illustration: Hidden Hitch 70779 installation instructions (note that this is also the Reese 44548 and
Draw-Tite 75155).

Also, I note that in the instructions that rear crossmember is called the "impact bar", because it is also the bumper structure.

Finally, the same hitch fits the Lexus GX470, because that's the Lexus-badged version of the same vehicle.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I found it curious that some models of Toyota and Honda are not to be used with WDH. I have had a Chrysler minivan and Jeep Grand Cherokee with factory tow packages, and for both, Chrysler states that with a certain weight of trailer, a WDH is required. I have used a WDH on several trailers and find the ride and the feeling that the TV and trailer are one unit to be great. No sway, no rocking of the trailer, and when I had a blowout on the trailer, no lack of control at Interstate speeds as I pulled to the shoulder. I know that not all agree, but I wouldn't tow without one, and would rule out the Toyota and Honda models that don't allow them.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I've been towing my 17B with a RAV4 and Hidden Hitch receiver and WDH for more than six years, without any issues. I've also spent six years trying to get Toyota to explain why they "don't recommend" a WDH. Don't recommend is not the same as instructions NOT to use a WDH.
Anyway, I still don't have an answer, although they apparently are investigating my complaint that they won't answer my question. My question is why don't they recommend a WDH?
Note that right above the paragraph on hitches, there is a warning about something else in yellow.
I know I'm harping, but I'm now like a dog with a bone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAV manual 3.jpg (143.5 KB, 7 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
You'll probably never hear anything from them except corporate speak. Since the 2008 Highlander doesn't have that warning in the manual perhaps it has to do with the wheelbase of the RAV4(104.7").

If one reads How to Tow Safely I posted previously there is mention of how using a WDH with spring bars set too tight can be more dangerous than not having them at all.

http://www.slaga.net/RV/How%20to%20Tow-version%202.pdf
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
If one reads How to Tow Safely I posted previously ...

http://www.slaga.net/RV/How%20to%20Tow-version%202.pdf
Since the person who posted that material did not have the right to do so, the copyright owner requested that he remove the material (the whole "RV" folder). The link no longer works (at least for me).
Old 04-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Since the 2008 Highlander doesn't have that warning in the manual perhaps it has to do with the wheelbase of the RAV4(104.7").

If one reads How to Tow Safely I posted previously there is mention of how using a WDH with spring bars set too tight can be more dangerous than not having them at all.
I don't think any vintage of Highlander has had that warning.

I think you're on to a reasonable explanation. Although short-wheelbase vehicles often need WDH more than long ones (because they suffer more from adverse load transfer in reaction to hitch weight), they are also more vulnerable to over-application of WD.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Since the person who posted that material did not have the right to do so, the copyright owner requested that he remove the material. The link no longer works (at least for me).
Hadn't heard about any request to remove; was that previously mentioned here? Link still works for me.

Although somewhat dated sounding when reading- this guide is one of the most comprehensive I have seen anywhere and really gets into the safety aspect of towing.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I'd be happy if they said, "we just put that there to cover our #ss".
Anyway, can't mitigate an issue if you don't know what the issue is.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote