Towing With Toyota 4Runner - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching

Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Thanks All: good information. I've measured the front of the tow before hookup, and aimed for close to that measurement when WDH is attached. Have enjoyed good towing over lots of miles- but there does seem to be a lot of stress exerted on the hitch receiver. I keep watching for signs that the receiver may be twisting upwards- and have it inspected during regular service. My experience is that three links hanging rides very well- but I would be unable to set up without the cheater bar. With two links hanging, there is barely any tension on the chains, and the ride suffers.
Dave
I will remeasure using suggestions here.

Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #52

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We have now completed a few trips pulling the 19 with our 4 Runner and made the following adjustments. The Pro Series WDH has the head bolted to the lowest position. The head is tilted one position off centre with 2 links loose on the chains. With trailer attached the TV is lower 1/4" at the front wheel and 1 & 3/8" down at the back wheel. Also I added a handy lifting handle to the insert which doubles as a cable holder. It is two cable ties inside a length of garden hose. I replaced the cable with a longer one to reach the TV connection under left side of the bumper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1656.jpg (286.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1657.jpg (191.7 KB, 25 views)

Old 10-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Casita upgrading to 2017 Escape 21
After market hitch for 2014 4Runner

I read this thread with great interest. I'm planning on towing an Escape 21 with my 2014 Toyota 4Runner. I'm concerned that the 21 is very close to the limits of my vehicle's towing capacity and hitch weight. However Hidden Hitch, Reese or Draw-tite do not offer hitches for the 2014 4Runner. I am interested in any ideas on other 4Runner model years or Toyota models with hitch receivers that would fit, or other makes of after market receivers.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #54

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Replacing your factory hitch with an aftermarket hitch will not increase the tow rating of a 5th gen 4 Runner. The hitch you now have is solid. The earlier 5th gen manuals recommended the use of a WDH but later versions do not mention the use of a WDH. I would tow the 21 with the factory hitch.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Casita upgrading to 2017 Escape 21
Hi Brian,
I appreciate your recommendation, since after reading your other posts, you have put a lot of thought into this.
Richard
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I read this thread with great interest. I'm planning on towing an Escape 21 with my 2014 Toyota 4Runner. I'm concerned that the 21 is very close to the limits of my vehicle's towing capacity and hitch weight. However Hidden Hitch, Reese or Draw-tite do not offer hitches for the 2014 4Runner. I am interested in any ideas on other 4Runner model years or Toyota models with hitch receivers that would fit, or other makes of after market receivers.
An average loaded weight for a 21' will be 4300 lbs.
The tongue weight could be, for instance, 470 lbs. You can adjust that to what you want.
Your weights should be fine especially including the GCWR.
Whether it works well for you depends upon where and how you travel, the kinds of roads and grades and speeds you expect.

Agree on above recommendation for a factory hitch.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - Delivery July 2017
I checked the ScanGauge website and see that the gauge works by connecting to the OBDII diagnostic port on the vehicle. Is there an extra step to get the transmission temperature that would require the talents of a vehicle mechanic?
Ray B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #58

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
I checked the ScanGauge website and see that the gauge works by connecting to the OBDII diagnostic port on the vehicle. Is there an extra step to get the transmission temperature that would require the talents of a vehicle mechanic?
It depends on the vehicle. You need to enter some codes & a description for most vehicles. Some codes are available on the ScanGuage website; others can be found at various vehicle forums. For example, I had to go the the RAV4 forum for codes for mine, and again to the Tacoma forum when I bought the new truck.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
I use the Torque app on my smartphone to monitor transmission temperature on my 4Runner. I had to enter a two custom PID's in the app to get it to display the transmission cooler outlet temperature and torque converter outlet temperature; message me if you want the code. I think the app was <$5 (can't tell in Play store because I already paid for it) and you had to buy if you wanted to input custom PID's.

I connect to the car using a Bluetooth OBDII connector that I bought off Amazon for $20.

When I researched the Scangauge in the 4Runner forums it sounded like you needed to purchase additional custom program to see tranmission temperatures. However, those articles were older so the Scanguage may have been updated since then.

It should be noted that the Torque app uses lots of battery power when running and my phone gets quite warm. I typically only start the app when I know I will be climbing lots of hills and I have found that I don't use it that much.

I described my first experience towing with 4Runner and the transmission shifting and temperatures here: New Owners of a 2008 Escape 17B
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
As far as I know there are no aftermarket receiver hitches available for the 5th gen 4Runners. The factory receiver hitch (in Canada) is rated for the vehicle towing capacity and use with a WDH according to our 2012 Owners Manual.

msweet is offline   Reply With Quote