Toyota Tacoma and Towing Mirrors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Toyota Tacoma and Towing Mirrors

My wife and I just ordered a 19'. We'll be towing with a 2014 Tacoma. Do you Tacoma owners find that factory mirrors are sufficient, or are after-market towing mirrors necessary? Thanks.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jeffrey, I have added after markets and feel like they really help. Were I to do it again, rather than buying the strap on ones I have, I would go with the replacement ones that have been mentioned in other threads. The two varieties of strap on ones I have tried always seem to want to move at lease some and sometimes cause wind noise.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I liked having a left side extra mirror, but found the right side extra didn't really do much. The ones I used were the strap on variety, and needed periodic adjusting, especially after sitting out overnight and getting damp.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey King View Post
My wife and I just ordered a 19'. We'll be towing with a 2014 Tacoma. Do you Tacoma owners find that factory mirrors are sufficient, or are after-market towing mirrors necessary? Thanks.
Hi: Jeffrey King... I got my mirrors from 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online I tow with a Nissan Frontier but the mirrors are avail. brand specific. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030549.jpg   P1030550.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
I do find the mirror extension useful. Like Santacruzer the driver side was very helpful and the passenger side not so much although I do still use one. Without a mirror it's very difficult to see tailgaters behind the trailer. I tried strap ons for a season but they kept shifting. I changed to a suction cup Tow n See brand. I was very skeptical but they work pretty well. They have fallen off a couple times but the safety cord works and I don't lose any on the road. On our last 5300 mile trip one fell off on a bumpy dirt road.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I replaced my Tow 'n' See mirrors with Milenco Grand Aero ( which are twice as expensive ). Disadvantage of Tow 'n' See is that the suction cup blocks a portion of the factory mirror. The Grand Aero fastens to the mirror housing so it doesn't block the factory mirror and added advantage is that the factory mirror and the Grand Aero can be adjusted independently.

Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK

I understand you can get them at Costco.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I replaced my Tow 'n' See mirrors with Milenco Grand Aero ( which are twice as expensive ). Disadvantage of Tow 'n' See is that the suction cup blocks a portion of the factory mirror. The Grand Aero fastens to the mirror housing so it doesn't block the factory mirror and added advantage is that the factory mirror and the Grand Aero can be adjusted independently.

Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK

I got the smaller ones:Amazon.com: JR Products 2899 Aero 2 Towing Mirror - Pair: Automotive.
I find them very helpful, and at times the right one comes in handy, so I use them both. I haven't seen them at my Costco.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I have a set of the Pro EFX mirrors and really like them. Great visibility, plus you can get them with integrated turn signals and heat.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I have a set of the Pro EFX mirrors and really like them. Great visibility, plus you can get them with integrated turn signals and heat.
Hi: ATHiker... My mirrors are powered, heated, and extendable. That was the way the OEM ones were. We replaced the small car like frontier mirrors in anticipation of a wider trailer. Sure glad I did. Not a bad deal at $239. free shipping and no tx. either. DIY installation w/ lots of helpers!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1030542.jpg   P1030545.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Alf, like I said, if I hadn't already spent the money on the clamp on ones I would go with ones like yours.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Forgot to mention...check your state law about what you might or might not need. In California I believe the requirement is to see something 200 feet behind the tow vehicle. While the stock mirrors may give reasonably good vision, they may not be sufficient to the letter of the law.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #12

The following is BC requirements. Your state is likely similar but in feet.

Mirrors

7.04 (1) Subject to subsections (3) and (4), every motor vehicle shall be equipped with an inside mirror that provides the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the highway directly to the rear of the vehicle extending to the horizon from a point on the road surface not more than 61 m behind the vehicle.
(2) In addition to the requirements of subsections (1) and (3), every motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side that provides the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway rearward to the horizon from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver.
(3) Where the inside mirror of a motor vehicle does not provide the view required by subsection (1), the vehicle shall be equipped with a second outside mirror on the side of the vehicle opposite the driver and in that case the inside mirror may be removed.
(4) Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m from the rear of the combination of vehicles. END QUOTE.

Note that the regulation is to have a view of the adjacent lane, not what is directly behind the trailer ( ie. "tailgaters" ).
Old 10-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Escape Artist, what brand are your mirrors? They look pretty quality.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Al got those at 1A Auto on-line. He was the Guinea Pig for installing them first and then walked me (and others) through the process. I owe him a six pack for his leadership He started and maintained a thread on them earlier this year. Find it; you'll find it very helpful.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Alf got those at 1A Auto on-line. He was the Guinea Pig for installing them first and then walked me (and others) through the process. I owe him a six pack for his leadership He started and maintained a thread on them earlier this year. Find it; you'll find it very helpful.
Whoops. Just saw references in posts #'s 4 & 9. Alf already answered the question.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi: Jeffery King... They aren't branded except for your specific vehicle. Look at 1aauto.com trailer tow mirrors and enter your make model and year of vehicle and they will show several mirrors ie: manual, powered, heated, etc. and they are plug and play so no special wiring needed. In my case they bolted on where the OEM mirrors came off.
The Toyo style is quite like the Dodge tilt up mirror I think. Alf
Old 10-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #17

Trailer: Looking again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

Bingo - I bought the Grand Aero mirrors based on rave reviews on this and other RV sites. I couldn't be happier. They never moved a bit, even on the forest service roads and I find with my 2013 Tacoma and 17B trailer they really make a huge difference, both in seeing what's down the road and in backing up. I bought them at Costco Canada - pricey, but well worth it in my opinion:

http://www.costco.ca/Grand-Aero-Towi...100033995.html
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
we ordered our grand aero mirrors after seeing Glenn's at the rally.
Ordered them online from Costco .ca--took less than a week to get them and they worked great on our last trip, very little adjustment needed....
Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Wondered if tow mirrors were really needed after the 17B, which didn't need them as it was narrower.
Milencos are great, and helped us save our awing from tearing off today as it also helps the passenger see down the road behind and thus makes them more aware of looking...could've seen that with the regular mirror, but what passenger looks out that mirror? Definitely need them for a 21.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #20

Nothing irks me more than a passenger leaning forward to look out the passenger side mirror, leaving me to look at the back of their head and to wonder what if anything is going on inside it.
I'm driving. You are passengering.