Toyota Tacoma rear leaf spring issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: April 2015, 21 classic
Toyota Tacoma rear leaf spring issue

My current 2011 4.0 Tacoma has a "recall" from Toyota for the rear leaf springs. Apparently the OEM 3 leaf set up has a unacceptable rate of failure as mine did and they are working on a new set up. This new redesign has been a year in the works according to the service supervisor here at the dealer. So for the interim a 4 leaf set up is being installed in my Tacoma at no charge. I'll bet the ride will be more truck like when not towing as suggested by the supervisor. Next week I will be towing my Escape 21 about 600 miles and I will report back after Labor Day weekend on my experience if anyone wants to know. My understanding is this issue also affects some 4 cylinder engine models. And I don't know if the carrying capacity will be affected by all of this. It might be more, but I'll guess it won't be less for liability reasons. And if you don't have a broken spring, I doubt there anything you can do but wait. So stay tuned.
Patrol35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I received the same notice for my 2009, I have no issues, so I'll wait.

There was a technical service letter out for a while authorizing the replacement of the 3 leaf spring with a 4 leaf one for various complaints. Perhaps I have low standards; but I'm fine with the suspension, as is.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I received the same notice for my 2009, ...
Nothing in the mail yet for my 2014.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I talked them into replacing the rear springs on my '09 TRD when the first service bulletin came out a couple of years ago. My truck was on the cusp of tht service bulletin. I didn't notice much, if any, change. I was in for a routine service just this morning and was alerted about the recall, and they wanted to do it. They apparently don't have a record in their computer that they did a replacement, and I didn't tell them. I'll wait to see if the recall replacement is the same fix as the old service bulletin replacement.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think there has been 2 separate problems with the springs. One was the bulletin Santacruzer mentioned. I asked about getting that replacement a few years ago, but mine seemed to ride fine and the service manager said that they had had complaints about a rough ride after doing that replacement so I didn't do it.

Then later I received a letter from Toyota - must have been about a year ago - that there was going to be a recall, but they said that they were working on a solution. I think it was that leafs were rusting and snapping and were in danger of puncturing the gas tank. I still have not gotten an actual letter to take it in. Last time I asked at the dealer they said they were still awaiting Toyota decision on how to fix it.

Last year they sprayed the entire frame with a rust treatment, so I'm not sure if that was supposed to be part of the solution, or another entire problem.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Thank you of sharing this, have not heard anything from Toyota on this issue as of yet so I will be contacting them...
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Apparently the early models will be serviced first 05 and 06 and so on.
I have a 06 and still waiting. Have been to the dealer 3 times and get the run around.
If broken on the drivers side it can puncher the fuel tank . The recall is over a year old now I think .
Old 08-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
About the Tacoma:
  1. first generation was model years 1995 to 2005
  2. second generation was model years 2006 to 2015
  3. third generation starts with model year 2016

In a recall, the manufacturer contacts the owners of all affected vehicles to get the fix (or sometimes just check) done; this is governed by the appropriate federal agency. In a service campaign, a fix is determined and is available for vehicles affected by a known problem, but it may not be offered unless the owner reports the problem.

There are various databases for both recalls and service campaigns, including from the federal agencies:
You can search by make, model, and year; or by VIN.

Both sites says it is a recall for some 2005 to 2011 Tacomas.
  • Transport Canada 2014420
  • Toyota Canada SSC253
  • NHTSA campaign 14V604000

The NHTSA site offers more detail than Transport Canada, including various documents.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Looking again...
I may be mistaken but I think this was only an issue with the U.S. Taco as, not those sold in Canada. My 2013 has 4 leaf springs from new and a buddy's 2012 also has 4 leaf from new. I remember something on the Tacoma forums a few years back mentioning this.
Al
Old 08-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan3089 View Post
I may be mistaken but I think this was only an issue with the U.S. Taco as, not those sold in Canada. My 2013 has 4 leaf springs from new and a buddy's 2012 also has 4 leaf from new.
There is definitely a recall in Canada, as listed by Transport Canada (see my previous post) and announced by Toyota:
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall Of Certain Tacoma Pickup Trucks For Rear Leaf Springs

Toyota Canada's announcement mentions that there are both 3-leaf and 4-leaf springs. Often a recall covers many vehicles that might be affected, which are checked and if they don't have the problematic component there is nothing to be done. In this case there are 47.470 vehicles recalled (in Canada), but there may be very few which have the possibly problematic springs (maybe the 3-leaf) and even fewer that actually have a problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I asked my local dealer's service manager again about the recall.

He said: " The recall on the leaf springs are still in the interim status. We can inspect them for you and if there is an issue, we can address it but it wouldn’t have the updated parts yet. If everything is ok, we’ll just have you hang tight until the updated parts/repair is available."

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Good to know, can you please keep me updated as to when the parts are available?

Thanks, Rick
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #13

Trailer: ?
We had the recall notice for our 2008 Tacoma for the springs and a separate recall for premature frame rusting.
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
I had the same two recalls on my 2007. Frame rust not an issue but springs are definitely soft. Still waiting on that recall notice for repair
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #15

Trailer: April 2015, 21 classic
As the original poster of this topic, I do want to report back on the replacement springs my Taco received a month or so ago. Toyota replaced (both sides) my broken 3 leaf springs with a 4 leaf set up. These 4 leaves are not the final fix according to the service mgr., "just the temporary fix till the new, better engineered ones are available, whenever that will be." I did two trips totaling about 1400 miles and experienced no change in ride comfort or detected any changes in handling. So I am a happy camper for now on a no cost warranty repair.
See ya down the road,
Larry
Patrol35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
And just to update more, I came home and found another letter about the recall from Toyota. They are still working on the permanent fix and it should be available in "early 2016".

Hopefully I'll get it before going to pick up my 19 in May.
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote