Toyota Tundra towing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Never noticed it before.
Thanks again Bob With six bolts per side, this looks really secure... and adjustable to just two positions (the current and one setting which places the pin higher).

When I looked at this during a visit to the factory (after which I obviously forgot how many bolts there were) it seemed to me like the upper section might be custom-fabricated by the frame shop, perhaps to fit the unusually low height of the relatively small (for a fifth-wheel) Escape. Looks strong, in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldingmedic View Post
That is the setting my box is at right now. Reece said I have 2.5" adjustment left, so those upper holes would be that.
Hopefully the pin box is enough and it looks like it is.
Moving the pin up works if all you need to do it match the pin to the hitch. If it's that easy - great!

Quote:
If I needed more I would have to put axles under springs or use blocks.
If your axle tubes are currently on top of the springs (like Bob's), blocks (which go between the springs and axle tubes) would actually lower the trailer - putting the axle under the springs is the only change to raise the trailer.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't know about everyone else's setup, but on Ten Forward the pin box has the same number of holes as the above pic, and the king pin hitch also can be lowered or raised about three holes. I had ETI's outsourced hitch place mount it in the bed of my truck. When I picked up Ten Forward in Sumas, Dennis mentioned maybe lowering the hitch "one notch," but decided against it since the truck was brand new and he said it would "settle" with age... a bit.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
My hitch is all the way down and it still sits nose high a bit. Now that I know the pin box is adjustable I might try messing with them again, but not till spring. I've got 4x4 with the big load rate E tires, it may sit higher then yours.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
My hitch is all the way down and it still sits nose high a bit. Now that I know the pin box is adjustable I might try messing with them again, but not till spring. I've got 4x4 with the big load rate E tires, it may sit higher then yours.
I agree with Bob's logic - the pinbox is all the way down, so if he moved the pinbox up to the other position, it would not push the trailer up as much, and the front of the trailer would sit lower. Good (especially since tandem-axle trailers such as the 5.0TA should be level)... as long as there is that much clearance to spare between the trailer and the top of the truck box sides.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Tundra towing

Bought the 2015 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 and it works great with the 5.0TA. Can't even feel the trailer. Now I just have to make it 14 more months at the at the Fire Department, grab my pension, my traveling nurse wife and hit the road to wherever.
Thanks again for all the advice !!
Weldingmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #16

Hi Mark
While your here, have you been to Long Point park or Sebastian Inlet State Park north of Vero Beach? looking to make reservations at one or the other, or maybe both. If you've seen them, any preference?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Camping Sebastian

Bob,
I have camped at Sebastian State Park and it is nice. It is across A1A from the beach, and sits on the Intracoastal on the west, which is a half to a mile across to the mainland and dotted with little islands in the middle that are neat to visit if you have a boat. You can even camp overnight if you want. The park is also right on the inlet to the ocean, so lots to see and plenty of fishing. I don't remember any shade trees though like at Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine which is beautiful, on the beach and shaded. Directly across the Intracoastal are some nice restaurants, bars and antique shops if that is your thing. Captain Hiram's Resort is a cool place to get a drink, food and live music on the water. Nice big Tiki bar area.
Hope it helps, and have a nice trip.
Mark
Weldingmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #18

Thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Quote:
Bought the 2015 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 and it works great with the 5.0TA. Can't even feel the trailer. Now I just have to make it 14 more months at the at the Fire Department, grab my pension, my traveling nurse wife and hit the road to wherever.
Thanks again for all the advice !!

Very nice choice ,
Old 01-05-2015, 10:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Used to surf camp/surf Sebastian in late 60's when living in Cocoa Beach. It is still a special spot even with the condo row to the north. Great jetty break.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote