TPMS - solar tireminder - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Tire Minder has systems that can handle up to 22 tires.
Had their system on a motothome. Worked well.

https://www.minderresearch.com/tirem...s-and-trailer/

The New TireMinder TM-77-6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System features updated software and a large display to make monitoring your RV, Motorhome, 5th Wheel, Motor Coach, or Trailer easier than ever.
Large, crystal-clear 3.25” display Monitors up to 22 tires (0 to 232 PSI) Visual, audible, and blow-out alarms Checks for tire issues every 6 seconds Low-/high-pressure and high-temp alerts
Thank you. I was just reading the number of sensors that the kits come with. Should have dug deeper.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
I too would be interested in hearing if there are some less expensive alternatives. As Jim Bennett has suggested, the cost for the Solar TPMS is quite pricey. There seem to be a number of cheaper alternatives. Someone suggested good experience with a Zeepin. Any other suggestions? We don't need a Cadillac, which would be nice, but pricey, just a decent mid priced product.

The other thing we had through about was a dash cam. Not for the highway scenery pictures, but if there was to be an accident, not your fault, it would be nice to have a visual record that would be able to beat some expensive lawyer's rhetoric. Anyone got any recomendations?
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
Since my last post in this thread, I've towed around 2,300 miles using the TireMinder Solar TPMS on 5 separate trips, from below freezing to the upper 90's, and the TPMS has performed perfectly - it's been accurate, with not a single signal loss issue. It even shows changes in PSI when one side of the trailer goes from sunshine to shade and back - very entertaining to watch.

I have had a few exchanges with the folks at TireMinder - a few questions and ordering spare jam nuts and wrenches - and have been very happy with their customer support.

I see that fully 18% of the reviews on Amazon are for 1 star out of 5, and am not sure what to think about that...

What are the power source requirements for the signal booster? How did you use your 12v outlet in the front storage to power it? I know the batteries are in the rear of the 5.0. Would installation of the signal booster directly to the battery in the rear work or does it need to be in between the tire sensors and the monitor? I am finalizing my build sheet for a 5.0 and am now deciding if I need to add a 12v outlet in the storage compartment just in case.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Although the dash-mounted monitor unit is powered by solar (rechargable battery) or USB cable, the signal booster requires +12 volts and ground.

The storage box that I mounted on the tongue is metal, so I didn't want to mount the signal booster in there, plus if mounted somewhere on the tongue the signal would have to get through or around the metal storage box, the propane tanks, and the tailgate of the tow vehicle.

I mounted it under the overhead storage cabinet inside the trailer, just inside the door, to the right. There is a (sort of) direct path from the wheels through the floor to the signal booster, and from there to the dash-mounted monitor display unit through the trailer's plastic front window rock shield, and then through the rear window of the tow vehicle. This also generally avoided the foil-faced Reflectix insulation areas. I had already run +12 volts and ground up inside the cabinet, and had installed a switch for power to my rear-view camera, so I just added it to the switched side of that circuit on the theory that I would always want the rear-view camera and the signal booster on or off at the same time, and didn't want to have yet another switch cluttering up the works.

I suspect that on a 5.0 it would be a good bet to have a 12 volt drop installed somewhere toward the front of the trailer and install the signal booster so there is a direct shot between the wheels and the booster, and between the booster and the dash monitor. The location of the batteries really doesn't matter - you just need a +12 volt tap and a ground close to the booster.

Granted the Solar TireMinder isn't particularly cheap, but there are some very ugly pictures floating around on the web showing what a flailing deflated tire can do to a nice fiberglass trailer. And there are most likely a whole bunch of people who would have gladly paid a lot of money for a TPMS for the trailer with a failed tire that started the big fire near Redding, CA.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...216760070.html
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2290.jpg   IMG_2294.jpg  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
That is quite a bit of nice built in instrumentation you have displayed there.....
Old 01-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I sure am not going to guess what all those switches do in post #24, but my better half would have those all jacked up within 24 hours.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 E19'
The only switch that challenges the boss is the one at the lower left.

It's a 3-position affair:

UP - The 2 LED light units on the back bumper of the trailer turn on powered by the trailer batteries' 12 volts, independent of the tow vehicle.

MIDDLE - Off.

DOWN - The LED lights on the back bumper turn on via the center pin of the 7-pin connector, powered by the tow vehicle battery and controlled by a relay in the engine compartment and by an on/off switch on the dashboard that's in series with the switch in the trailer. This relay also turns on the LED light unit mounted right above the hitch receiver. The LED lights aren't too big, but put out a good bit of light - handy when backing into a camp site and hitching/unhitching in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1951.jpg   IMG_7256.jpg  
Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #28

Thanks. This is helpful. On a 5.0 there are a couple of 12v circuits near the front of the trailer I could tap in to without adding another circuit.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Thanks. This is helpful. On a 5.0 there are a couple of 12v circuits near the front of the trailer I could tap in to without adding another circuit.

Just have ETI run a 12v drop in the front storage box and you can wire directly to that drop.

That is what I did.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Just have ETI run a 12v drop in the front storage box and you can wire directly to that drop.

That is what I did.
I had no trouble tying into existing circuits for a couple things I wired into the front storage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post

That is what I did.

I’ll probably do this. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had no trouble tying into existing circuits for a couple things I wired into the front storage.

Agree, however electrical is not my forte so it’s easier to just ask them to run a drop that I can plug into. [emoji4]
Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I just bought a Solar Powered Tire Minder (TM) for my E-21. TM recommends mounting the amp under the trailer. For now to try it out I will just put a lighter plug on the amp to see how the system works in the cabin before hard wiring it to the trailer.

Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I put the amp for the same model in the front overhead cabinet and have not had any dropout.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Thanks for the info.

Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I had at least 6 valve stem failures with Tire Minders. I didn't know they should be used with metal value stems.

I was told by the tech at Discount Tires that was causing my stem failures. Took then off and haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I put the amp for the same model in the front overhead cabinet and have not had any dropout.
Jon, I noticed at the Niagara Rally that you had Tireminder sensors on regular valve stems. How long have you had the Solar Tireminder in place, and have you experienced valve stem failures like others have?

Ron
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #38

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I think it took about a year for my first failure. I was baffled as to the cause when they began to occur regularly. I was happy I had the Tire Minder to warn me of losing pressure.

Had no idea that was the cause
Old 09-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I’ve had my Tireminder on regular valve stems for 14 months and about 12,000 miles with no problems. (Yet)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
Jon, I noticed at the Niagara Rally that you had Tireminder sensors on regular valve stems. How long have you had the Solar Tireminder in place, and have you experienced valve stem failures like others have?

Ron
The stems you saw are Goodyear's idea of metal stems. They are metal inside & don't flex like a standard rubber stem. Before I changed tires (and stems), I did couple thousand miles with the tire minder units on standard rubber stems, and they did flex enough that the tire minder modules left skid marks on the rims. The new Goodyear stems are stiff enough that they don't flex.